Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Mayweather vs McGregor thread

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Not many as to me it is just street fighting which I did as a teenager no skill or science as I see it. I believe any strong fit hard man could do it but just my opinion. I would prefer to watch the travelers bare knuckle fighting.

Classic BG. Bare knuckle fighter and pub landlord. You're the ghost of Lenny McClean and I claim my £5.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you watch FMJ's whole career. You'll see Boxing has been losing for the best part of 20 years now.
Agreed.

Fair play and much respect for an MMAnathlete swapping over and being brave enough to face the best in a sports which he is no expert in.
Brave enough? I'd fight Floyd for that money.
Can you imagine FMJ doing that?
Well it's not the same. Floyd got the money without having to do it, and Floyd couldn't do MMA, whereas at least Connor can stand against a boxer for a while.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Boxing is an art form

Nicely proven Floyd
MMA is also an art form, the clue is in the name. Floyd didn't prove anything, we already knew that a top boxer would be better at boxing than someone who isn't a boxer.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you watch FMJ's whole career. You'll see Boxing has been losing for the best part of 20 years now.

Boxing is supposed to be exciting and fun. Last nights fight was probably FMJ best and most exciting fight he's ever been in.

Boxing is really running out of stars to keep interest in the sport hence why MMA is getting bigger PPV numbers now. Boxing is in dire need of help. It's now relying on the MMA stars to keep interest in the Boxing. Fair play and much respect for an MMAnathlete swapping over and being brave enough to face the best in a sports which he is no expert in. Can you imagine FMJ doing that?

You couldn't be more wrong . Boxing in great shape and domestically alone is brilliant . Huge loyal following regularly selling
Out big big stadiums .

It always gets knocked but it continues to be strong .

Don't be a hater

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Glad this freak show is over. Can't believe the depth of McGregor's self-delusion, telling us after the fight that the ref stepped in too early and that "I always go a bit wobbly when I'm fatigued". He took at least ten clean head-shots with no defence in the last 20 seconds of fight being literally punched from post to post like the chancer he is. If the ref had not stopped it McGregor would be in a coma.
This has done nothing for boxing, MMA, FMJ, or McGregor. He just pulled off one of the biggest scams in sporting history.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Now that is over, looking forward to GGG vs. Canelo - should be a superb fight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You couldn't be more wrong . Boxing in great shape and domestically alone is brilliant . Huge loyal following regularly selling
Out big big stadiums.
Locally boxing is still doing ok, but MMA isn't big here yet. It will be though, and then boxing will suffer, as people realise there's a better alternative.

Don't be a hater
It's not the concept of the sport that's the problem, it's the politics. The fact that you don't get the best fights but instead you get mismatches based on money and building an image etc, rather than the best vs the best. We were robbed of Manny vs Floyd when they were both up to it - now we'll never have that fight, lost to money and the protection of a record. A complete farce.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not many as to me it is just street fighting which I did as a teenager no skill or science as I see it. I believe any strong fit hard man could do it but just my opinion. I would prefer to watch the travelers bare knuckle fighting.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, it is about as far removed from street fighting as it's possible to be. A top level MMA fighter is highly skilled in multiple disciplines. Most fighters who come from a purely street fighting back ground are soon found out. Kimbo Slice was possibly the most famous street fighter to try his hand at a higher level and it was clear he lacked the skill in other disciplines to trouble anyone at a decent level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You really have no idea what you are talking about, it is about as far removed from street fighting as it's possible to be. A top level MMA fighter is highly skilled in multiple disciplines. Most fighters who come from a purely street fighting back ground are soon found out. Kimbo Slice was possibly the most famous street fighter to try his hand at a higher level and it was clear he lacked the skill in other disciplines to trouble anyone at a decent level.

So I am wrong but still entitled to the opinon.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Out big big stadiums .

It always gets knocked but it continues to be strong .

Don't be a hater

I love boxing. I much prefer it to MMA, but when you consider how we had to wait so long to see Manny get completely schooled. It makes Boxing look very boring, especially for the future generations. Billy Joe Saunders has had just 1 fight since becoming WBO world champion 2 years ago and that fight was in the Lagoon Leisure Centre, Paisley, Scotland! BJS is just an example of so many boxers right now. What's Tyson Fury doing these day? What about Deontay Wilder's resume? How can that be allowed?
Boxing is in a massive mess right now. It all looks so unprofessional.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I love boxing. I much prefer it to MMA, but when you consider how we had to wait so long to see Manny get completely schooled. It makes Boxing look very boring, especially for the future generations. Billy Joe Saunders has had just 1 fight since becoming WBO world champion 2 years ago and that fight was in the Lagoon Leisure Centre, Paisley, Scotland! BJS is just an example of so many boxers right now. What's Tyson Fury doing these day? What about Deontay Wilder's resume? How can that be allowed?

Some valid points but on the flip side, attendances are on the up. We've just had two superb stadium fights in Klitschko vs Joshua plus Kell Brook at Bramall Lane. Add to that the Super Middle tournament where 4 British fighters are involved and we've got a lot to look forward to.

Now last nights fight is out the way I hope the Canelo vs Golovkin fight is given the build up it deserves.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Some valid points but on the flip side, attendances are on the up. We've just had two superb stadium fights in Klitschko vs Joshua plus Kell Brook at Bramall Lane. Add to that the Super Middle tournament where 4 British fighters are involved and we've got a lot to look forward to.

Now last nights fight is out the way I hope the Canelo vs Golovkin fight is given the build up it deserves.

I think things like the super series are a good idea for boxing and maintains more competition, but really, there are very few fights to be excited about at the moment. Everyone's raving on about AJ but he just identifies how poor the HW division is at the moment. Look who AJ won his 1st world title from, Charles Martin who in any other era would've been no more than just a journeyman. Look how hyped up Dillian whyte is getting and again, he is no more than just a low level gate keeper. Boxing is looking very desperate right now. It seems to live off one-off wembley performances or Carl Froch reminding the world about his big Wembley fight against Groves (which again was all built around hype and controversy, like last night)
Last nights fight was just a reminder of what Boxing is now resorting to to keep interest. Give it a few more decades and Boxing will have celebrities fighting each other over divorce issues and lies.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Your point in general is totally valid.
Just a little unfair on Saunders. Since his title win, 2 opponents withdrew last minute, a 3rd was arrested and another main card fighter got sick so the show was pulled. So that's 4 fights taken away from him.
He's been very unlucky in the last 2 years to be fair to him.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Your point in general is totally valid.
Just a little unfair on Saunders. Since his title win, 2 opponents withdrew last minute, a 3rd was arrested and another main card fighter got sick so the show was pulled. So that's 4 fights taken away from him.
He's been very unlucky in the last 2 years to be fair to him.

BJS must've been blessing his stars after every one of those postponements . Have you seen the shape of him since he won the WBO title? That world title fight at the Leisure centre in Glasgow was where BJS got very, very lucky. He definitely lost that fight being so out of shape. I doubt that Boxing could've dealt with a world champion losing to a complete nobody, in a leisure centre, in such an unprofessional shape athlete wise. It would have summed up what a state the sport is in.
I know BJS is now up in Sheffield training his socks off and is looking more in shape, but considering he is still only 27, what a waste of a very important part of his career. He looked so promising at first too.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
BJS must've been blessing his stars after every one of those postponements . Have you seen the shape of him since he won the WBO title? That world title fight at the Leisure centre in Glasgow was where BJS got very, very lucky. He definitely lost that fight being so out of shape. I doubt that Boxing could've dealt with a world champion losing to a complete nobody, in a leisure centre, in such an unprofessional shape athlete wise. It would have summed up what a state the sport is in.
I know BJS is now up in Sheffield training his socks off and is looking more in shape, but considering he is still only 27, what a waste of a very important part of his career. He looked so promising at first too.

Agreed he was nowhere near his best last fight.
Good on him for immediately holding his hands up and acknowledging it though.
I like him, a no nonsense, no bullshit normal guy who likes to box, and is talented.

Would absolutely love a rematch with Jr, which will happen if Jr gets through the super 8 with a new shiny belt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here