Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Istanbul airport

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Why the hell anyone in their right mind would want to be on facebook is beyond me.

Facebook is what you make it. For some it's a great and useful tool for sharing with and keeping in touch with friends and family, especially if there's distance between them, while for others it's just an ego inflating status symbol... "Look at me everyone, I've got 20,000 friends!!"

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Really? Well that's encouraging, I haven't seen a single one on there yet, apart from mine, which only one of my friends has acknowledged. The point I'm making is that when it was France and Belgium it was all over Facebook like it was fashionable or 'cool', but the mentality when it's a country like Turkey is something along the lines of.... "It's only Turkey, that kind of thing happens there all the time so who cares?" What a sad society we live in!

This is your opinion and perception. I dont post flags as I see it both as a misappropriation and empty virtue signalling.

I'm more interested in how the Turks on my facebook friends are dealing with it.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
And Europe want to fast track Turkey into the European Union where thousands of ISIS terrorists will be able to walk freely across Europe with their Ak-47s and explosives and cause carnage. Glad we're out.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And Europe want to fast track Turkey into the European Union where thousands of ISIS terrorists will be able to walk freely across Europe with their Ak-47s and explosives and cause carnage. Glad we're out.

Unreal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think you may actually be the biggest moron on NSC and that is amongst some extremely strong competition. Congratulations

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I used to sign on/off the ship in Istanbul a lot as we always went there on our summer Med' itinerary; this year it was cancelled due to the terrorist threat.
By far the strictest security I've ever encountered at any airport. You go through the first screening before you even enter the terminal.

As an aside, in the Philippines you have to have flight details to enter the terminal. Those meeting arrivals have to wait outside, at the international terminal at least. Although this is more to do with the numbers (family members) that rock up to meet returning overseas workers than security worries. The actual security checks are pretty piss poor, which is worrying considering the rising IS influence on their extremist problems.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
This is your opinion and perception. I dont post flags as I see it both as a misappropriation and empty virtue signalling.

I'm more interested in how the Turks on my facebook friends are dealing with it.

Yes, I see your point and I agree with you. I never post flags either and this is the first time I've ever done it and I did it to prove a point, to ask why is it apparently more tragic when it's France and Belgium that everyone feels the need to change their profile pics into flags, I'm sure Turkey would appreciate some of that support as well so why aren't they getting it? Is it acceptable when it happens in places like Turkey? I was as shocked and saddened by what happened in France and Belgium as everyone else was, but no more shocked and saddened as I am whenever this kind of thing happens anywhere else in the world. Sadly it seems like this isn't the case for an awful lot of people.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes, I see your point and I agree with you. I never post flags either and this is the first time I've ever done it and I did it to prove a point, to ask why is it apparently more tragic when it's France and Belgium that everyone feels the need to change their profile pics into flags, I'm sure Turkey would appreciate some of that support as well so why aren't they getting it? Is it acceptable when it happens in places like Turkey? I was as shocked and saddened by what happened in France and Belgium as everyone else was, but no more shocked and saddened as I am whenever this kind of thing happens anywhere else in the world. Sadly it seems like this isn't the case for an awful lot of people.

Perhaps it's because to a lot of people when it happens in Turkey/Iraq/Syria it feels like its their own doing it to them, in France and Belgium it has a feeling of a foreign element commiting it there.

Insular killings don't illicit the same reactions and emotions.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think you may actually be the biggest moron on NSC and that is amongst some extremely strong competition. Congratulations

Other than the Americans who think the Ataturk Airport explosions were a hoax.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

If there is anything to what you say, its because belgium is nearer and more people like us, could be people we know.

Theres nothing wrong with that either.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My only visit to Turkey via Istanbul Airport was just over twenty years ago. A very relaxed experience with no high security.

How things can change in shortish periods of time!!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
If there is anything to what you say, its because belgium is nearer and more people like us, could be people we know.

Theres nothing wrong with that either.

I understand what you're saying and you're probably correct, but to me, that's the problem, "people like us", to me, there's no 'them and us', we're all human beings, and all those people killed in Turkey were normal innocent people with families and friends, just like us.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I understand what you're saying and you're probably correct, but to me, that's the problem, "people like us", to me, there's no 'them and us', we're all human beings, and all those people killed in Turkey were normal innocent people with families and friends, just like us.

Thats ok for humanities studies but when you get down to the survival instinct it is kith and kin focused, the context here is what you've muddled up, mass slaughter with dreamy eyed utopianism. Its out of place, like lecturing the starving on fashionable diets.

It is high handed virtue signalling by someone with no skin in the game, as yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here