Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastily arranged deal

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I, like most others, can only see this as a rather sad attempt by Naylor to cover his arse whilst he tries to wipe the egg yolk out his eyes. You think he would have learnt his lesson from the CMS signing cock up. Its almost as if the club do it on purpose! In fact that thought is rather amusing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
All of which means we've probably been paying Kemy until a few days ago too.

Heads should have rolled for that one. I hope it counted heavily against Burke. I understand that when you are not shopping at the top of the market you have to take some punts - but signing a lazy-arse was never going to work.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not so much egg on his face, but sat in a huge omelette!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Darren said WEEKS ago that we were in talks with BZ

What probably is nearer the truth is they agreed on the deal last week and he signed yesterday!

Virgs also said that BZ wants to come but CH was unconvinced. But I think CH has been persuaded to change his mind or they just got him anyway!

Chucky20

Jan 25, 2011
Woodingdean
Watching Sky Sports 92 Live coverage this morning, Chris Hughton actually reveals it came together over the weekend.

Reporter: "Chris, just first of all, two words. Bobby Zamora, how did it come about and how big a coup is it for the club?"

Chris Hughton: "Well it's something that has been on our minds for quite some time. It happened, the process happened very quickly and it happened very quickly because there was a real desire from both sides, particularly on Bobby's side to want to come back here, of course where he done so well for such a long period and since then it has been very hectic. It happened very, very quickly over the weekend"

Apologies for the parts that don't make particular sense, these were filled by Chris with a lot of "erms" and pauses that I didn't feel like writing!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've signed two strikers in Hambo and Harper that, in all probability, won't be ready until Christmas. Therefore, getting in an experienced striker on a 6 month or 1 year deal was the go, and that's when the Bobby deal begins to make more sense.

I expect the timing is also forced by the fact he's had no pre-season, and while missing 3 weeks is not idea missing much more time for a 34-year old with a history of injuries would have been potentially catastrophic.

If Bobby's been holding out for this move I'm not surprised the rumours have persisted. The club have done a good job of keeping their intentions under wraps and very little has got out. It wil be interesting to see what happens now Hemed and Baldock have begun to forge an understanding.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Seems fairly obvious that CH wasn't that interested, and the club have pushed it through at short notice given other signings not happening as hoped and fan goodwill falling.

Doesn't stop me being pleased though!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's meant to write 'the club deny that there has been contact with Bobby Zamora' and then hopefully follow that with some of the investigatory work he's done to unearth the truth. He didn't say 'the club deny', he stated categorically that it wasn't going to happen, and he got it wrong.

Or, alternatively, something like "Well aware of the relentless whirlwind of speculation re: BZ. According to our inside information it is just that at this juncture. #bhafc", as posted on 21st June.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Darren said WEEKS ago that we were in talks with BZ
Who the **** is Darren!

Virgs also said that BZ wants to come but CH was unconvinced.
That's what a few people said a month or so ago, and it seems it could have an element of truth given that CH said in the interview this morning that Bobby was particularly keen to come here. It would make sense if CH was thinking 'this isn't the long term solution we need' etc, and that Bobby wasn't in CH's immediate plans. Others at the club asked CH if he'd be interested for just one year, and the deal was cheap enough that it wouldn't impact on any of the other signings he's trying to make, and CH said yes, why not. The move has always made sense to me, as long as Bobby wasn't after too much money and it seems he wasn't.

All of that continues to make the suggestion that the club had not been in contact with Bobby a month ago complete BG.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Watching Sky Sports 92 Live coverage this morning, Chris Hughton actually reveals it came together over the weekend.
Two things: Firstly, the details of the deal may have been agreed over the weekend, but that doesn't mean we weren't in contact with him a month ago. Secondly, I'm not sure it would go down well if he said 'The deal was agree a month ago, but we wanted QPR to pay him for the last month'.

Or, alternatively, something like "Well aware of the relentless whirlwind of speculation re: BZ. According to our inside information it is just that at this juncture. #bhafc", as posted on 21st June.
There's nothing wrong with that, but if that's all he ever wrote on the subject, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Who the **** is Darren!

That's what a few people said a month or so ago, and it seems it could have an element of truth given that CH said in the interview this morning that Bobby was particularly keen to come here. It would make sense if CH was thinking 'this isn't the long term solution we need' etc, and that Bobby wasn't in CH's immediate plans. Others at the club asked CH if he'd be interested for just one year, and the deal was cheap enough that it wouldn't impact on any of the other signings he's trying to make, and CH said yes, why not. The move has always made sense to me, as long as Bobby wasn't after too much money and it seems he wasn't.

All of that continues to make the suggestion that the club had not been in contact with Bobby a month ago complete BG.

This Darren...or as you know him Bozza

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?323481-Three-things-pies-Forest-and&highlight=pies

In JUNE. Ok so he was a month out but the SCOOP was there. So its BULLSHIT to suggest it just happened.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The main rumour was BZ signing imminently on the 1st July and a few days after Naylor said it was speculation yawn which at the time it was. There was also something written on NSC saying that he wanted two years but the club was only offering one. Another mention on here claimed was that he failed his medical.

I'm not sure it would go down well if he said 'The deal was agree a month ago, but we wanted QPR to pay him for the last month'.

I would have thought that if it was near a dead cert BZ would have been training with us, on trial, like CMS did with Luton before he signed for them. I don't see any advantage in leaving it this late.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The best thing is that as well as rubbishing the Zamora deal, Naylor also rubbished the Murphy deal at the same time.

I wonder...

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The main rumour was BZ signing imminently on the 1st July and a few days after Naylor said it was speculation yawn which at the time it was. There was also something written on NSC saying that he wanted two years but the club was only offering one. Another mention on here claimed was that he failed his medical.

I would have thought that if it was near a dead cert BZ would have been training with us, on trial, like CMS did with Luton before he signed for them. I don't see any advantage in leaving it this late.

other than the 60/70/80k (take your pick) per week that QPR had (apparently) to pay him in July because he hadn't signed for anyone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good point, I didn't know CMS trained with Luton before joining. In that case, I perhaps wasn't so close. But the club were in contact with him, and Naylor didn't just say he hadn't signed yet did he? Someone will post his quotes (I hope).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
other than the 60/70/80k (take your pick) per week that QPR had (apparently) to pay him in July because he hadn't signed for anyone.

My point was that CMS was still picking up his wages from us whilst training with Luton. He only signed for them when his wage contract was completed.

Zamora could have trained with us, without signing, and still picked up his QPR wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here