Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few snippets I heard today

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The OP just posted an inflammatory set of remarks that are not based in fact,....the rest of you sanctimonious prikks are the ones correcting the stupid.....

Corrected for you.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not at the mix, just passing on what I was told today. It is second hand but came from a source identified with the club.

1. Apparently Poyet was badly treated by the club over his eventual sacking.
2. When the club thought Poyet was leaving for Reading, they approached Barry Lloyd to take temporary charge, he declined due to ill health.
3. Upson was offered a deal by the club to stay but it was 'derisory'.
4. PIG wanted to stay, but was not offered any type of deal.

I wont reveal my source, so don't ask. I'm not sure I believe it all, just putting it out there.

I'm not saying it is true or false, but what basis was Gus treated badly?

For what it's worth, I heard that, before all the gross misconduct stuff blew up, the opposite was true. He used to go around being Berty big balls, having tantrums to get his own way, and making sure anyone whose face didn't fit (this was referring to general members of staff at the club, rather than players) was sacked.

This information is, like yours, second-hand, and courtesy of someone employed by the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why would I look foolish? Someone told me something about the club, I passed on what they told me to an Albion message board, I made it clear that I didn't think it was all true by any means. You then write the best post possible by commenting 'Nonsense' Adds to the discussion really well, well done!

I've since clarified why it is nonsense. And thank you again for your praise.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
None of that seems credible.

First off anyone at the Club in any position of responsibility spreading that sort of information is being unprofessional and probably in breach of contract themselves, so has lost true perspective on where their loyalties lie. He/she is in the wrong job and would be advised to move on. More likely it is cheap pub talk from a more junior employee who is not acquainted with the facts but happy to peddle tittle tattle to impress his/her mates.

As for Poyet I would suggest it was a) the Club and b) the fans that were treated shabbily by him. IMHO Poyet is extremely fortunate that a settlement was eventually arrived at following his dismissal and subsequent failed appeal that allowed him to move into another job quite as quickly as he did. Although we wanted the managerial situation resolved I would like to have seen his claims of unfair dismissal tested in court.

I imagine that we offered Upson a fair deal based on what we could afford knowing that ultimately he might receive financial offers that we were not prepared to match - plus there is one vital issue that The Albion could not offer him - but Leicester could i.e. another season in the Premier League! I suggest that is just the harsh reality of us being a Championship Club with a modest budget. Like Wayne Bridge we enjoyed a great season seeing a true Pro like Upson grace our team, yes its a pity he moved on but we have to dwell on the positives. That calibre of player in an Albion shirt was a pipedream only 2-3 years earlier.

As for PIG he did a lot of his so called contract negotiations through the media in the latter part of last season (in a rather Poyet-esque fashion) while his playing form tailed off. Unlike Upson I suspect he became an obvious casualty of us needing to prune the big wage earners in order to create scope for the new regime and continue our compliance with FFP.

I was chatting with a very rare thing this morning - a genuine Pompey fan with an honest viewpoint. He is so p****d off with their fans who ignore the harsh realities and somehow still expect them to splash cash they haven't got and buy their way back to the PL. Sounds like our OP's 'source' is out of touch too.

Very well said.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've since clarified why it is nonsense. And thank you again for your praise.

Who set you up as the font of all feckin knowledge......draw your neck in......

bhafc1972

Banned
Jun 2, 2014
Jesus give the guy a break. He is just posting what he has heard and said himself that it might not be 100 per cent. I think all the bad comments are out off order. It is a forum for all views and if you think what the op has posted is bullshit then why not have a reasonable debate with him rather than posting piss taking comments.

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
None of that seems credible.

First off anyone at the Club in any position of responsibility spreading that sort of information is being unprofessional and probably in breach of contract themselves, so has lost true perspective on where their loyalties lie. He/she is in the wrong job and would be advised to move on. More likely it is cheap pub talk from a more junior employee who is not acquainted with the facts but happy to peddle tittle tattle to impress his/her mates.

As for Poyet I would suggest it was a) the Club and b) the fans that were treated shabbily by him. IMHO Poyet is extremely fortunate that a settlement was eventually arrived at following his dismissal and subsequent failed appeal that allowed him to move into another job quite as quickly as he did. Although we wanted the managerial situation resolved I would like to have seen his claims of unfair dismissal tested in court.

I imagine that we offered Upson a fair deal based on what we could afford knowing that ultimately he might receive financial offers that we were not prepared to match - plus there is one vital issue that The Albion could not offer him - but Leicester could i.e. another season in the Premier League! I suggest that is just the harsh reality of us being a Championship Club with a modest budget. Like Wayne Bridge we enjoyed a great season seeing a true Pro like Upson grace our team, yes its a pity he moved on but we have to dwell on the positives. That calibre of player in an Albion shirt was a pipedream only 2-3 years earlier.

As for PIG he did a lot of his so called contract negotiations through the media in the latter part of last season (in a rather Poyet-esque fashion) while his playing form tailed off. Unlike Upson I suspect he became an obvious casualty of us needing to prune the big wage earners in order to create scope for the new regime and continue our compliance with FFP.

I was chatting with a very rare thing this morning - a genuine Pompey fan with an honest viewpoint. He is so p****d off with their fans who ignore the harsh realities and somehow still expect them to splash cash they haven't got and buy their way back to the PL. Sounds like our OP's 'source' is out of touch too.

Opinion and hearsay? My post was only hearsay, I bow to your greater wisdom.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just the usual copious amounts of alcohol!
(Was at a charity dinner thing)
Just didn't sound like bullshit tho but I never spread rumours so never posted anything til i saw the exact same thing on here just now

Fair enough. I have to say I would be amazed if they approached Barry. But I suppose stranger things have happened (but not much stranger!) IIRC, Mark McGhee was touting himself in the media around the time of Gus gate!!

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Most gossip that emanates from any organisation has been filtered through several layers of opinion, conjecture and exaggeration. My company has 25 highly educated, skilled people working within it and I speak to pretty much every person at least once a week. Despite this I am constantly baffled by the gossip that becomes 'fact' through the rumour mill.

If my experience is in any way normal then only Tony, PB and a very small inner circle of Directors and senior managment will really have a set of reliable facts to hand, and even those will be open to interpretation.

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Jesus give the guy a break. He is just posting what he has heard and said himself that it might not be 100 per cent. I think all the bad comments are out off order. It is a forum for all views and if you think what the op has posted is bullshit then why not have a reasonable debate with him rather than posting piss taking comments.

Thank you! Unfortunately, it would appear that only a certain people on here are entitled to post bollox.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Who set you up as the font of all feckin knowledge......draw your neck in......

Just putting the OP straight. If you don't like it, tough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not saying it is true or false, but what basis was Gus treated badly?

For what it's worth, I heard that, before all the gross misconduct stuff blew up, the opposite was true. He used to go around being Berty big balls, having tantrums to get his own way, and making sure anyone whose face didn't fit (this was referring to general members of staff at the club, rather than players) was sacked.

This information is, like yours, second-hand, and courtesy of someone employed by the club.

You may have 'heard' something but having met Gus several times face to face and watched him with the team several times, I have a completely different opinion. I also know/knew several members of staff.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for the post. This site should be a place where you let us know what you have heard.

Ignore the keyboard bullies...it should quieten down now that there mum's have made their tea.....They will be on their homework later...

albionite

May 20, 2009

Everyone who posts rumours gets shot down on this site, unless you can back it up.It is one of the rules. Starting with i have heard second hand was always asking for trouble.

Why i keep my mouth shut (mostly) when i hear the odd rumour here and there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Your expression 'putting the OP straight' is in itself inflammatory. You can say that you have a different opinion, but your post comes across as very arrogant.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

In your opinion of course.....as valid or invalid as the OP.... and do you know how I came to that conclusion??........... because you are not Bloom or Barber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here