Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist on illegal bike who killed a pedestrian on manslaughter charged 'blamed victim'

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
But it is only a matter of time before one of the increasing number of twats that ride LEGAL bikes ILLEGALLY on the pavement do some damage. When that happens, it will be the fault of the OB who currently refuse to enforce the law and penalise the idiots that are riding dangerously on the pavements.

Make all cyclists carry PLI. And if they don't, confiscate their bikes. How difficult can it be?

Make everyone carry PLI, the insurance companies will love it. What a wonderful world . . . .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't get this. If there are, say, 44 cyclists on the road and eight go through red lights, then that's about 18 percent (and those are roughly the sort of figures I had every day). I don't see how that's a 'precise figure' - particularly as I said that it varied between 18 and 22 percent. If it were a precise figure it would be 19 percent every week.

And I didn't keep records of gender because they were all men (the one female appeared towards the end of the three month period, she stuck out like a sore thumb).
Sorry I'm still not seeing this and yet more specific numbers, like the number of people you regularly rode with through central London. isn't helping.
But as I could easily lurch into a gandaddad poster here, I'm going to step away now.

After all it's not as if I'm saying no cyclist jump lights, my bone of contention is always the quantity.
By virtue of the fact (clearly not quite) nobody ever notices anybody doing anything law abiding.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Make all cyclists carry PLI. And if they don't, confiscate their bikes.

Make pedestrians carry it too - the single most dangerous thing I see when cycling is pedestrians just stepping into the road without looking. Presumably they do this because they can't hear any cars so assume it must be safe (either that or they just don't care).

Not sure what you'd confiscate, though... their shoes?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But it is only a matter of time before one of the increasing number of twats that ride LEGAL bikes ILLEGALLY on the pavement do some damage. When that happens, it will be the fault of the OB who currently refuse to enforce the law and penalise the idiots that are riding dangerously on the pavements.

Make all cyclists carry PLI. And if they don't, confiscate their bikes. How difficult can it be?
Do they?
Do all the police refuse to enforce the law?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
By virtue of the fact (clearly not quite) nobody ever notices anybody doing anything law abiding.

Indeed. To an extent you'll more likely notice things relevant to your own likes/dislikes or agenda. Buy a Suzuki S-90 and you'll notice more of them on the road while subconsciously filtering out many of the Nissan Serenas passing you by.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Make pedestrians carry it too - the single most dangerous thing I see when cycling is pedestrians just stepping into the road without looking. Presumably they do this because they can't hear any cars so assume it must be safe (either that or they just don't care).

Not sure what you'd confiscate, though... their shoes?

I try to avoid cycling in towns for this very reason. I have been close to smashing with pedestrians looking at their phones three or four times. I also get irritated by people seeing a cyclist and not realising how fast you can go. Cars overtaking in a 30 think they can quickly nip out and pull back in again, but when you are going at anything above 20 mph it actually takes a relatively long distance to overtake which can lead to near misses with people pulling in too soon. Pedestrians often don't realise how quickly a bike will be upon them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Consistently, the stats were the same: between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights every week.
I think you may have misinterpreted the results. What it that 20% of cyclists jumped each red light?

As Stat Bro says, you'd have to see every light a cyclist went through to be sure they jumped none of them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I try to avoid cycling in towns for this very reason. I have been close to smashing with pedestrians looking at their phones three or four times. I also get irritated by people seeing a cyclist and not realising how fast you can go. Cars overtaking in a 30 think they can quickly nip out and pull back in again, but when you are going at anything above 20 mph it actually takes a relatively long distance to overtake which can lead to near misses with people pulling in too soon. Pedestrians often don't realise how quickly a bike will be upon them.

After the 2nd time did you not think that you should go a bit slower and try to anticipate when pedestrians might be stepping out without looking?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry I'm still not seeing this and yet more specific numbers, like the number of people you regularly rode with through central London. isn't helping.
But as I could easily lurch into a gandaddad poster here, I'm going to step away now.

After all it's not as if I'm saying no cyclist jump lights, my bone of contention is always the quantity.

Ive noticed it, cyclists are right buggers when it comes to lights and zebra crossings, Maybe because not having the width of a car they can skip across without hitting people, this of course does not make it right.

I almost had a head on on the downs link with a cyclist looking at his phone so its not just pedestrians or car drivers.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You can't have a sensible debate with 'these people' I'm afraid. In related news, I could always set off the speed camera on Stanford Ave, Brighton (downhill) without even trying. Maybe it's a sensitive camera.

You can't have a "sensitive camera" they are calibrated, they have to be so they can be use to prosecute, if you managed to set one off then you have to have been doing more than 33 mph.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you may have misinterpreted the results. What it that 20% of cyclists jumped each red light?

As Stat Bro says, you'd have to see every light a cyclist went through to be sure they jumped none of them.

Of course, as I said right at the outset, it's not a scientific survey. It was merely something I undertook for my own amusement/edification as I kept hearing how 'most cyclists jumped the lights', my own rough estimate is that about a fifth of cyclists jumped these particular lights but to make it more rigorous, I'd have needed to do it at multiple locations across London (and then at other parts of the UK) and at different times of the day.

My own gut feeling is that it wouldn't be a million miles away from 20% although, like SB, I think that's slightly high. I've repeated the experiment in Brighton but for a shorter period and it came out at about 15% - I reckon that a nationwide figure would probably be something like 16 or 17% but I have nothing concrete to base that on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course, as I said right at the outset, it's not a scientific survey. It was merely something I undertook for my own amusement/edification as I kept hearing how 'most cyclists jumped the lights', my own rough estimate is that about a fifth of cyclists jumped these particular lights but to make it more rigorous, I'd have needed to do it at multiple locations across London (and then at other parts of the UK) and at different times of the day.
I wasn't saying it wasn't rigorous enough or that you need to do more, I was just saying that you wrote the result down incorrectly. You said
"between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights every week".
What you meant was
"between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through each red light"

That's very different and much worse. The former means they'd only have to jump through one red light in the whole week. The latter means that people are jumping lights very regularly.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I can't think of a single time I have been pro cyclist on any of the cyclist bashing threads.
99% of the time I agree that the cyclist was in the wrong.

I never ride on the prom by splash point, you will find me on the road.
I am happier in the position where I'm the one who is going to be killed to death by the act of a motorist, as opposed to the one doing the killing.

As opposed to just killed?
But a very saintly position Saint Stat!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can't have a "sensitive camera" they are calibrated, they have to be so they can be use to prosecute, if you managed to set one off then you have to have been doing more than 33 mph.

Speed cameras have to calibrated, but there are lots of cameras at traffic lights now. Motorists get taken to court for going through red lights too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As opposed to just killed?
But a very saintly position Saint Stat!

Hardly saintly.
Spend the next x years knowing I'd killed a toddler running across a cycle path to get an ice cream, or ride on the road, pitting my wits against all the drongos behind the wheel of their 1 tonne death boxes.

As said I'd rather the drivers conscience was in turmoil for killing me to death, than my own.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hardly saintly.
Spend the next x years knowing I'd killed a toddler running across a cycle path to get an ice cream, or ride on the road, pitting my wits against all the drongos behind the wheel of their 1 tonne death boxes.

As said I'd rather the drivers conscience was in turmoil for killing me to death, than my own.

What is it with this "killing me to death" crap?

Killing is sufficient FFS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is it with this "killing me to death" crap?

Killing is sufficient FFS

I have no ideal where I picked it up from (that usually means Alan Partridge) anyway it makes me smile, sorry if you are offended.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

As a cyclist myself, perhaps there needs to be a cycling speed limit anywhere near pedestrians who don't hear cyclists (perhaps an audible alert on cycles) but really it has to be said that cyclist at even 15+ mph are a risk !

Expects to be flamed !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here