Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield V Newcastle

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Duck me, 'Field are next home to Southampton, away to West Ham, then home v Leicester.

It's as if they are in a different league to us.

They'll not need any more points in 2017, and still be a third of the way to safety.

Our run-in is brutal, but hopefully we'll be safe by then

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Fair play to Huddersfield. I completely underestimated you and thought that out of the 2 of us, Hudds would be the ones to struggle to get up to speed with this league.

Thanks. To be honest we're not doing anything differently, we've just strengthened in the areas that we were weaker last season (which is why we were so happy with our transfer business...and I tried to defend it on here :D ), and are playing with the same pressing intensity.

I'm sure that we'll struggle against the United and Chelseas, but then, we don't need to win those games. We need to beat the Palaces and Newcastles, and that's 2/2 so far. Happy days!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's THE factor. Look at Hull, Sund and Boro last season.

The Albion Board know this, Barber has touched on the striker to come and let's hope he's of the quality required if we get him.

Looking at Hull last season. They won their first two games as well. They got relegated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks. To be honest we're not doing anything differently, we've just strengthened in the areas that we were weaker last season (which is why we were so happy with our transfer business...and I tried to defend it on here :D ), and are playing with the same pressing intensity.

Tbh I'm sure that we'll struggle against the United and Chelseas, but then, we don't need to win those games. We need to beat the Palaces and Newcastles, and that's 2/2 so far. Happy days!

Summed up nicely.

And along the way you might get surprise points against the mega spending top 7. Playing positive football with a goals threat, Bournemouth, Palace and Southampton have all got results at home and away versus those clubs, against the odds.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Truth be told Huddersfield's playing style is far better suited to the PL than ours currently is. We seem set on defending within our own half whereas they defend as high up the pitch as possible and press relentlessly for 95 minutes. Ok so they come unstuck sometimes and they will have far more difficult games than the two they've had so far but you can only play what's in front of you and they seem to have done well - I would imagine the buzz and adrenaline running through their club at the moment is pretty amazing whereas whatever confidence we may have had two games ago seems to have been severely reduced given our highly limited performances against strong opposition. But it is only two games into the season.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
PHP:
Our run-in is brutal, but hopefully we'll be safe by then

The way 'the Field' are going you're looking at back-to-back promotions straight out of the PL into La Liga, Messi and Ronaldo gracing the Kirklees turf next season and more power to you. Great to see.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
PHP:

The way 'the Field' are going you're looking at back-to-back promotions straight out of the PL into La Liga, Messi and Ronaldo gracing the Kirklees turf next season and more power to you. Great to see.

Well, as we're (ironically) singing at the moment... "We're on our way, we're on our way, to the Champions League we're on our way"... :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Really chuffed to see 'Field making a really good go of it. Fair play to them.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Truth be told Huddersfield's playing style is far better suited to the PL than ours currently is. We seem set on defending within our own half whereas they defend as high up the pitch as possible and press relentlessly for 95 minutes. Ok so they come unstuck sometimes and they will have far more difficult games than the two they've had so far but you can only play what's in front of you and they seem to have done well - I would imagine the buzz and adrenaline running through their club at the moment is pretty amazing whereas whatever confidence we may have had two games ago seems to have been severely reduced given our highly limited performances against strong opposition. But it is only two games into the season.

Couldn't of worded it any better. Yes very early days, but their intentions are very clear.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Duck me, 'Field are next home to Southampton, away to West Ham, then home v Leicester.
It's as if they are in a different league to us.

They'll not need any more points in 2017, and still be a third of the way to safety.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose all three of those.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last season they tore us to shreds when we played them away. That style of play will give you more chance in the PL
Did you not notice that we were without Stephens and Baldock, and played Norwood with Kayal in the centre? That's why they outplayed us on that one day. They weren't generally outplaying the top sides. They lost at home to Newcastle last season, they didn't even win a playoff game in normal or extra time.

They've started this season well with two good results, albeit against poor opposition (Newcastle missing Shelvey).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Did you not notice that we were without Stephens and Baldock, and played Norwood with Kayal in the centre? That's why they outplayed us on that one day. They weren't generally outplaying the top sides. They lost at home to Newcastle last season, they didn't even win a playoff game in normal or extra time.

They've started this season well with two good results, albeit against poor opposition (Newcastle missing Shelvey).[/QUOTE

Not sure Newcastle were that poor. Hats off to Huddersfield they appear to have got it right I.e. signings and approach to the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure Newcastle were that poor.
Well they weren't Man City (our home game).
Hats off to Huddersfield they appear to have got it right I.e. signings and approach to the game.
I agree, they're going for it and picking up points. They'll probably get stuffed a few times, but so what, they'll win some games too.

Like some others I'm concerned that Chris's defensive mentality (which we didn't see much of while we were one of the best sides in the Championship) will have us trying to defend our way to points instead of putting pressure on the opposition and trying to score. Even if we were to be too defensive, I'd hope that Chris would change the way we play if needed, but I'd also expect the players not to accept sitting back and waiting to lose.

It's early days, our new players haven't got up to speed and we've been against a couple of good teams. Can't help but feel we have to turn it around quickly though.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
much as it grieves me to say it, can't stand their smug German manager, I think Huddersfield have the right blend. They bought early and wisely, mix of players experienced in England and decent overseas players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here