Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Your Favourite Local Shop (Independent or chain)?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Kernel of Hove. On Kingsway near Sussex Pub. Organic, locally produced, veggie and dairy stuff and stockists of Infinity products.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One of my favourites for random everyday household goods is Ransoms in Ann Street just off London Road. It seems to have been there forever, perched precariously on the slope leading up to Sainsburys. Recently it lost half of it's frontage to development and the last but one time I was there a builder's lorry had just reversed and caved in the front window. Yet still it survives, a veritable Aladdin's cave of cheap and cheerful stuff you suddenly really need. A plunger, say, or a sturdy laundry bag, or some garden canes, or half a dozen different sized plant pots and the little matching saucer things that go under them. Pointless trying to find anything in there though, it's a hopeless task. But ask one of the staff, even the fierce old lady on the till, and they'll locate exactly what you're looking for in a matter of seconds. Perfick!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One of my favourites for random everyday household goods is Ransoms in Ann Street just off London Road. It seems to have been there forever, perched precariously on the slope leading up to Sainsburys. Recently it lost half of it's frontage to development and the last but one time I was there a builder's lorry had just reversed and caved in the front window. Yet still it survives, a veritable Aladdin's cave of cheap and cheerful stuff you suddenly really need. A plunger, say, or a sturdy laundry bag, or some garden canes, or half a dozen different sized plant pots and the little matching saucer things that go under them. Pointless trying to find anything in there though, it's a hopeless task. But ask one of the staff, even the fierce old lady on the till, and they'll locate exactly what you're looking for in a matter of seconds. Perfick!

Cosign! They've got what you need, have Ransoms.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
My second shout is for Toolstation which has been an organic discovery since I first eschewed the major DIY chains such as B&Q and Homebase in favour of Wickes quite a few years ago when it was still relatively unknown and offered better value for money. Shopping there also gave you a certain diy credibility because you were mingling in the world of the proper tradesman until it became more mainstream. Then I discovered Screwfix which offered fantastic value for money which I didn't believe could be bettered. How wrong I was because in the last year I discovered Toolstation who follow the same Argos like format as Screwfix but are on the whole, with the odd exception, much cheaper.

Both Wickes and Toolstation are owned by Travis Perkins whilst B&Q and Screwfix are both owned by Kingfisher.

It's a small world, the DIY business.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Brighton most of my favourites have closed. Harry's for The Pile Up. That sandwich shop next to Hove Station/Hove Car Wash (started many an away game with their (brilliant) bacon sandwich and take away cuppa there) and Rounder. But we move on. Brewdog, 19 Grames, The Bird for drinks and food and Dussman for music.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Bright News in Buckingham Road. Vinod has been there running the shop since before I moved to brighton 20 years ago. A great local shop. Always a pleasure to pop in and discuss the Albion's fortunes with both Vinod and his assistant James.

D

Deleted User X18H

have a brilliant corner shop near me, sells everything, open all hours, friendly staff, end of Springfield Road, junction with Preston Road, next time I go there I'll take a look at its name!

Arkwrights? Beaconsfield Road

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
near the Cats Protection shop? ..... no, they certainly aren't open all hours

Special shout out for that recently-opened Cats Protection shop. If you ever wanted to buy something smart and esoteric for 50p and flog it on ebay for ten or a hundred times that amount, there's the place to go. They have absolutely NO idea what any of their donated items are worth, and many of the items seem to be donated by people with similarly little idea :wink:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Special shout out for that recently-opened Cats Protection shop. If you ever wanted to buy something smart and esoteric for 50p and flog it on ebay for ten or a hundred times that amount, there's the place to go. They have absolutely NO idea what any of their donated items are worth, and many of the items seem to be donated by people with similarly little idea :wink:

That shop's done quite well out of me, I can't be bothered with ebay! I know what you mean though, I still play CDs and have got some great bargains in there. Great charity shop though

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The bakers next door is also good. Just need a candlestick makers in that parade too really.

What we really need is a good greengrocers and a fishmonger and Hangleton would be a foodie shopping paradise !

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good call, I've bought loads of odd, random stuff in there over the years.

My own contribution would be Gardner and Scardifield in Lancing. I once wanted an obscure double bolt. Just the one, not a blister pack of twenty or a sealed polythene bag of assorted bolts, just one specific one. Having been round to all the big DIY chain stores (where I couldn't find what I wanted even in a jumbo pack), I ended up in G&S. The old bloke who served me rummaged through a drawer for about ten minutes before he found exactly what I wanted - and only charged me 20p.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What we really need is a good greengrocers and a fishmonger and Hangleton would be a foodie shopping paradise !

We need a fishmonger in Fiveways! We're absolutely infested with cafe-type places, and since I've lived there we've lost the little cobblers, the chemist and a handy office supplies shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here