Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist. It don't effect us we are Premier League.

It's still a talking point or are you just interested in subjects that affect the Albion?

It would be a very narrow forum if so.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Maybe a points deduction to engineer Mighty Leeds into the playoffs ? ???

Nope. The statement says "It should be noted, however, that the result of Saturday’s game will stand in all circumstances and any potential action would be taken against Huddersfield Town directly."

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Nope. The statement says "It should be noted, however, that the result of Saturday’s game will stand in all circumstances and any potential action would be taken against Huddersfield Town directly."
Which rules out a points deduction how ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the same argument used regarding 'weak' team selection for cup games.

It's not the case though - it not only devalues one competition it also gives them an advantage in another one or against other teams in the same competition - isn't that the whole point of resting key players?

It's either 'OK' to rest players or it isn't.

Quite. So what are the rules? If someone was fined for playing a weakened side in Chackatrade, but not in the league.... what are the rules?

My personal view is that it should be the right of any club to play whoever they damn well want to play, for whatever reason, including to achieve a tactical defeat to keep a third team down (albeit, the price to pay with the club's supporters may preclude this as a practical strategy). If there was a rule that teams had to play to win in every game, Colin Wanker would be doing a long stretch in chokey, sharing a cell with numerous others we can all easily name.

My guess is the rules are ambiguous, and possibly different for FA versus football league, versus FIFA.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
As I understand it the way that the premier league gets round this now is by insisting on a 25 man first team squad be named. But if that were the case then the team picked on Saturday would absolutely have fallen within that. It was no "youth team" and we pushed to win the game.

Fact is, of all the teams at the bottom, We would all have loved Birmingham to be relegated. I was at the McApline in 2001 when they sent us down, singin "we'll meet again..." as we entered receivership the following year and nearly went out of business for good.

We've still got a job to do this season though and thus we're gonna pick the team in each situation that best fits that goal.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It's a squad game, if they want to field their Under 18s they should be allowed to, who the heck are the EFL to tell a club who to put on the pitch when they allow owners to literally kill clubs with little to no bother? They need to get their priorities straight. Plus Wagner is right whether you like him or not, if you're club isn't run like a joke and you play well enough you won't have to worry about going down. Blackburn and Forest have two big red flags there, shit owners and a shit team, 46 games is more than representative, one game be damned.

Well said. Personally I think it stinks. I wonder if any Brighton fans defending Wagner are the same Brighton fans complaining how unfair it was that Wednesday rested players in the games leading up to the play-offs whilst we were going hell for leather last season?

To be fair to Wednesday on that point, they had guaranteed a play-off place and playing Wolves who could neither get promoted or relegated, and so rested players whereas we were still trying to get 2nd spot and hence had to play our strongest squad so not quite the same as Huddersfield this year who risked compromising the relegation battle

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Which rules out a points deduction how ?

No, I suppose it doesn't. But I sort of interpreted "the result of Saturday's game will stand in all circumstances" to mean they will keep the three points no matter what.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No, I suppose it doesn't. But I sort of interpreted "the result of Saturday's game will stand in all circumstances" to mean they will keep the three points no matter what.
Well Birmingham will keep the points, but although it's very unlikely, it is still possible Huddersfield will be docked points.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Yes they are. They are everyone's problem, that is what integrity is all about.

It's a shame there aren't slightly different circumstances for the Chelsea/Spurs title run in. I'd love to see your reaction if your Spurs team were level on the final day with just 3 or 4 goals separating Spurs from Chelsea and Chelsea had, say, a Man United team due to play in the FA cup final the following week. I can just imagine you frothing at the mouth if Man Utd then duly made 10 changes the week before while you visited a full-strength Hull.
You're wasting your breath with Kinky, Simster. He supports a side that had Keith Burkinshaw as manager in 1978 and remember how that stitch up ended!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm tired. Leave me alone :lolol:

So, the same question I asked jam the man....were you happy that hughton sent out a vastly reduced side against Lincoln in the cup? Was that not disrespectful to all the other teams in the competition...in fact what about wenger who always has two sides...one for the league and one for cup games?

Wagner sent out a squad team when they played Man City in the f a cup and ran them extremely close.

We have had big discussions on here about saving players for important league games over cup games for years....now Wagner does it and there is some sort of faux outrage.....this is what happens nowadays.

To be honest the only issue people have with Wagner is his comment about us bottling it ....which was all end of season banter anyway....I think hughton is the only manager with the class not to engage to be fair.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
So, the same question I asked jam the man....were you happy that hughton sent out a vastly reduced side against Lincoln in the cup? Was that not disrespectful to all the other teams in the competition...in fact what about wenger who always has two sides...one for the league and one for cup games?

Wagner sent out a squad team when they played Man City in the f a cup and ran them extremely close.

We have had big discussions on here about saving players for important league games over cup games for years....now Wagner does it and there is some sort of faux outrage.....this is what happens nowadays.

To be honest the only issue people have with Wagner is his comment about us bottling it ....which was all end of season banter anyway....I think hughton is the only manager with the class not to engage to be fair.

It's a bit different in the cup though isn't it? You're hurting no one but yourselves by fielding a weakened team - it has no effect on the other ties.

But in the league, if you field a weakened team it increases your opponents chance of winning and the points advantage they gain compared to other clubs.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It's a bit different in the cup though isn't it? You're hurting no one but yourselves by fielding a weakened team - it has no effect on the other ties.

But in the league, if you field a weakened team it increases your opponents chance of winning and the points advantage they gain compared to other clubs.

He knows that. Just feels the need to defend his other team. They've behaved reprehensibly. To deny it is mere delusion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The curious thing with all this is, Huddersfield haven't exactly been bang on form over the last month anyway, with several poor performances and results. It's quite feasible they'd have lost to Birmingham anyway, as their players- having confirmed a play off spot- would probably displayed the same sort of quality and integrity as we did at Norwich recently.

No surprise that Redknapp is backing Wagner, is it? :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He knows that. Just feels the need to defend his other team. They've behaved reprehensibly. To deny it is mere delusion.

I just don't understand the outrage of this, be it my second team or not. Every team rests players...town took it to the extreme but they have injuries and players out of form, as shown over the last few weeks. As I said, we have done it, Sheffield wed did it etc etc.

If those players are all part of the 25 player squad, then they can play who the hell they like. Maybe the only sensible option would be cutting a squad to say 15, and then making clubs have a certain percentage of that squad playing in every game...only actual injuries allowing a substitute player coming into the squad. Probably impossible to police, but maybe that is the way. Anyway, I have no sympathy with forest or rovers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here