Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Colunga . . . Coluld he be the missing link?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Will never happen but a front three of Baldock, Colunga both playing off a target man (and running into the channels) with a midfield three of Stephens, Ince & Kayal doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

Playing three strikers in a front three isn't always going to allow them to play to their strengths (ala Ashley Barnes). Utilising the channels is all well and good but you need width in a front three and it should be provided by wingers IMO. With strikers you risk them drifting centrally as it's their natural position and in essence they become "inside forwards" which leaves little to no width. Unless you convert the fullbacks into wingbacks and have them provide the width. But that all sounds a bit familiar...

I'd like to see Baldock or Colunga play off a target man in a front two. I'm a fan of the 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 if you prefer) formation that we adopted against Watford and teams like Swindon, Bristol City and Watford themselves, use as it can result in really nice football.

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Playing three strikers in a front three isn't always going to allow them to play to their strengths (ala Ashley Barnes). Utilising the channels is all well and good but you need width in a front three and it should be provided by wingers IMO. With strikers you risk them drifting centrally as it's their natural position and in essence they become "inside forwards" which leaves little to no width. Unless you convert the fullbacks into wingbacks and have them provide the width. But that all sounds a bit familiar...

I'd like to see Baldock or Colunga play off a target man in a front two. I'm a fan of the 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 if you prefer) formation that we adopted against Watford and teams like Swindon, Bristol City and Watford themselves, use as it can result in really nice football.

I agree in a front three my preference would be a target man and two wingers, I was mentioning more for the fact I rate Colunga and Baldock playing in just behind and in my opinion we currently don't have any wingers/Wide men that are good enough for a place in the first 11. So playing with Baldock & Colunga as inside forwards would be how I would go until we address the weakness we have in wide positions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suppose if we're sticking with 4-2-3-1 he could do the Tex role in the middle of the three. That is if we can't get Tex back for another season. Can't say I'm excited at having him back, but I'd rather have him in the squad at the start of the season than Best!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Will never happen but a front three of Baldock, Colunga both playing off a target man (and running into the channels) with a midfield three of Stephens, Ince & Kayal doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

I think you should be offered the job. Shame your suggestion won't happen. All sounds too offensive for some.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He always looked bang average to me. On that basis, he'd fit in very well here.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He had most assists when we loaned him out. I'd like us to take another look at him.

The goal of the season was Ince to COG, to Colunga, who played the superb crossfield pass to Ince, who volleyed it in. I thought he played well at Fulham too.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yep, I have said it before but this could have been the key point in Sami's reign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx3F9u5OUno

Incisive play from our littluns against that Bournemouth defence that many on here (aftertimers) rate so highly. Sadly Sami dropped AC for the next game. I'm with a few on here in thinking that a front three would have been and still could be our best bet, especially when you have solid midfielders such as Kayal, Stephens and Ince to mind the shop.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I liked him, always seemed to have a little bit of skill and could score as well, just not used as much as he could have in the right position. Probably not the answer to all our problems but still handy to have.

Was one of the few to give a shit at home to Fulham once we conceded twice, though was needlessly sent off for being petulant.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Didn't he leave because he was homesick? He was played out of position when he was here though.

I know that has been mooted on here, but I don't think it was actually the case. There was an interview in the Argus on February 6, shortly after he left on loan, in which Colunga was quoted as saying:-

I wasn't contemplating coming back to Spain. My family were in England things were going quite well. Then they changed managers and, when the manager changes, so does the project on the pitch. ... Brighton were really good with me. They could have insisted that I stay in England but they respected the decision I had taken.

And, in another article in the Argus on May 1 about Colunga's unhappy loan spell at Granada, Hughton was quoted as saying:-

At that moment it was my choice. I felt he would be better suited going on loan and me using the players that I have here. I presume at the end of the season once he has finished playing where he is now he is a Brighton player and will return. Then of course there is a question of assessing him, so it's something I have to think about over the summer. It's one also for both sides. I think when he went he was very pleased to get that opportunity to go back to Spain. I'll have to sit down with him but he is, of course, our player. It's one we will have to discuss and determine what is best for both parties.

Given these quotes from the manager and the player, it sounds very much like Hughton didn't rate or want Colunga, for whatever reason, rather than the player himself wanting to return to Spain because he or his family hadn't settled.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I liked him, and would like to see him given another shot under Hughton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Incisive play from our littluns against that Bournemouth defence that many on here (aftertimers) rate so highly. Sadly Sami dropped AC for the next game. I'm with a few on here in thinking that a front three would have been and still could be our best bet, especially when you have solid midfielders such as Kayal, Stephens and Ince to mind the shop.
Three up front and Ince, Kayal and Stephens in midfield would have meant no room for Tex. And correct me if I'm wrong (I may well be - the picture quality isn't that great on my PC) but wasn't it Tex who slipped that inviting through ball to Colunga?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Keep him for the next season and play him behind Baldock and our big new striker to be.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I know that has been mooted on here, but I don't think it was actually the case. There was an interview in the Argus on February 6, shortly after he left on loan, in which Colunga was quoted as saying:-

And, in another article in the Argus on May 1 about Colunga's unhappy loan spell at Granada, Hughton was quoted as saying:-

Given these quotes from the manager and the player, it sounds very much like Hughton didn't rate or want Colunga, for whatever reason, rather than the player himself wanting to return to Spain because he or his family hadn't settled.

Fair enough, good find. Can't see him playing again for us then if it was Hughton's decision.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A classic case of NSC rating a player when is not playing...

I'm more concerned that we have a manager who prefers Best to Colunga. I know they don't play the same position but I am still trying to understand why he brought that Lummox in and let Colunga go. I don't buy the homesick bit, more like sick of being pissed around out of position.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I would keep him. I never understood him being sent out on loan. Only one of our forwards who knew how to score a goal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here