AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20171212_165827.png

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Knocking at door with a card and waiting is begging and not appreciated by many. Tipping is optional and when i did my rounds ten plus years ago a card dropped in a week before Christmas reaped good reward from a lot of customers

He's not going to beg! Just give them a card and go on his way! Poor fella...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Make sure you give delivery drivers a tip too, as they drive around in all weather [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Make sure you give delivery drivers a tip too, as they drive around in all weather [emoji16]

I give the postie and the binmen something but I don't like it when the firefighters corner you when you're waiting at the lights at Preston Circus...

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
My kids did paper rounds until quite recently and got huge Christmas tips. All they did was to include a cheap card with the papers one day, and over the weeks before Christmas the tips would emerge.

Personally I'd have no problem being generous to a kid who's done a good job all year in all weathers but I wouldn't want the paper boy/girl to knock on the door and ask me outright for a tip.

This is what I would do 10 odd years ago, the idea of going out solely for tips makes me cringe. Entitlement on that level is so embarrassing, please don't let him do it.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
About 15 years ago I used to do the Leader once a week. 46 deliveries. I had to sort out all of the leaflets and circulars to in them enall. There was often so many I couldn't fit it all in the trolley so I would have to do it in about 4 or 5 trips.

At Christmas I wrote 46 Christmas cards in the hope I might get a few Christmas tips if I was lucky. I received ONE fiver. I was absolutely gutted. Maybe it's because it was a free paper people thought the paper boy was a volunteer or something.

Harsh lesson learnt there.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I did a paper round for quite a few years when I was a kid (which is going back about 35 years now) but wouldn't have dreamed of heading out specifically "to go and collect some Xmas tips". I was conscientious and diligent and if people wanted to offer me a gift at Christmas I would happily accept it, but it was never expected or sought.

Exactly this.
I was grateful to have a paper round.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
This is what I would do 10 odd years ago, the idea of going out solely for tips makes me cringe. Entitlement on that level is so embarrassing, please don't let him do it.

He's already written the cards so maybe he'll just put them in tomorrow's papers and see what turns up. He's already had one tenner off someone without asking so maybe that's the way.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My son does a paper rounds every morning of the week and very diligent he is too. He wants to go and collect some Xmas tips but can't quite decide on the optimum day and time on which to head out.

There are many factors at play here, from people being at work or out after work to people with small kids putting them to bed and so on and so forth.

So what's the best day of the week, and time, for him to wish his customers a happy Christmas/beg for cash?

When I used to do a paper round in Bexhill as a yoof, the majority of my round were old people, who were inevitably always up in the morning on a Sunday.
I never asked for tips, they were always left for me.
The owner of the newsagent I worked for, always said "no tip no knock".

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you was any good at plumbing you wouldn't need a second job as a delivery driver. :whistle: :wink:
Try living by yourself in the centre of Brighton! [emoji44][emoji389][emoji372]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When I did a paper round I would put cards through the letter box with the paper and my customers would generally then leave a card out over the next few mornings with the tips in. All except one woman who actually came to the door as I walked up the path wearing a silk gown open showing her rather splendid underwear !!! A teenage wet dream in time for Christmas !

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Another old grump here. Did a paper round for about 5 years starting in 1966, for Nunns mainly around Blatchington Road. Got paid 15 shillings a week in the last year.

Never ever crossed my mind that people might tip....never crossed their minds either......

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
He's going to knock the door and give them a card... and then wait there with his hand out.

I think he should put a card in each of the papers he delivers with a Happy Christmas from your paperboy (or something like that) and I am sure he will get cards in return with a few quid in them. This is far more personal than standing there with his hand out.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think he should put a card in each of the papers he delivers with a Happy Christmas from your paperboy (or something like that) and I am sure he will get cards in return with a few quid in them. This is far more personal than standing there with his hand out.

He wouldn't stand with his hand out. And I wouldn't let him. The cards are done and he might just drop them through the door one night this week I'm guessing

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
He wouldn't stand with his hand out. And I wouldn't let him. The cards are done and he might just drop them through the door one night this week I'm guessing

I don't get why you seem so set on knocking, it's just awkward. It won't convince anyone who isn't tipping to do so and it certainly might put a few who were off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here