Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supper?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
The Polish guy I car share to work with calls a sandwich/light snack before bed supper. Don't know if that's correct as I've never used the word myself.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
:clap: Should I be tugging my forelock whilst typing this :)

That would be nice wouldn't it? Nothing so grand I'm afraid - it's the guys who go out and repair our footpaths; as opposed to me who sits in the office sending emails to angry walkers/farmers/solicitors/landowners/mountain bikers (take your pick - one or more of them will be angry at any one given time!).

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Do Fire Extinguishers ring a bell by any chance?

miyKlopzdzKm_bFb-GBY4rw.jpg
509px-FireExtinguisherABC.jpg

Only if you actually use the fire extinguisher on the bell.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm having supper now. It's 2.15am and I've just got home (from a run, not a drinking session). Can't think of a better name for my pork pie and milkshake.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My running order is:

Breakfast. Time eaten dictated by appetite, never before 8, never after 10.
First bait. Sandwich out of box at about 11.
Tea (the hot drink) and biscuit at about 12.
Lunch. Betwenn 1 and 2. Usually leftovers from last night or if I'm lazy, trip to shops for whatever I fancy unless I'm working a Saturday in which case I treat myself to chippy. Or unless I'm working Sunday when I'm usually given a roast dinner.
Second bait. Sandwich or other snack from box. About 3 pm
Tea and biscuit. About 4
Dinner. Main meal at 6. If I'm on my own, much later if other half is around.
Supper. Graze on all sorts from end of dinner to about midnight.
Last bait. Bread and butter. Cup of tea or beer.
Bed.
Repeat.

I pretty much eat all day. The only thing that stops me is sleep but a lot of nights I wake up hungry and have to go to kitchen and eat.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My running order is:

Breakfast. Time eaten dictated by appetite, never before 8, never after 10.
First bait. Sandwich out of box at about 11.
Tea (the hot drink) and biscuit at about 12.
Lunch. Betwenn 1 and 2. Usually leftovers from last night or if I'm lazy, trip to shops for whatever I fancy unless I'm working a Saturday in which case I treat myself to chippy. Or unless I'm working Sunday when I'm usually given a roast dinner.
Second bait. Sandwich or other snack from box. About 3 pm
Tea and biscuit. About 4
Dinner. Main meal at 6. If I'm on my own, much later if other half is around.
Supper. Graze on all sorts from end of dinner to about midnight.
Last bait. Bread and butter. Cup of tea or beer.
Bed.
Repeat.

I pretty much eat all day. The only thing that stops me is sleep but a lot of nights I wake up hungry and have to go to kitchen and eat.

Do you really eat like that every day, is your weight ok?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8032582]Am I the only one who's always thought of dinner and supper as being just two different words meaning the same thing - the evening meal?

I think Nigel Slater is with you, he ever cooks "supper' on his shows.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If lunch is your main meal then supper is your evening meal.

If you have a light lunch, then the evening meal is dinner.

Tea is taken mid afternoon, normally when you intend to dine late.

However, you may also take tea mid afternoon after a light lunch and before a light supper.

Alternatively, if you take brunch mid morning avoiding both breakfast and lunch, you may choose to take tea mid afternoon and still eat a larger evening meal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many meals do some of you eat, you must be fat *******s?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Lunch is in the middle of the day. Dinner or at a push 'tea' is like 7 or 8 at night.......

I'd say supper is if you missed dinner you might have a light snack late at night. For what it's worth I always thought it was the kind of thing the commoner and working classes said not middle or upper / posh. Maybe they are 'taking the word back'.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you really eat like that every day, is your weight ok?

Yeah, honestly. Apart from bread and 2 biscuits a day, I eat pretty healthy, I do a very physical job with plenty of time outdoors, I walk for over an hour every day and workout 3 times a week. My favourite leisure activity is walking, often doing anywhere between 10 and 24 miles on a day off up on the Downs or along the Adur.
I'm 5'11 and weigh a pretty reasonable 12 stone with little fat.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I doubt you are actually "hungry" - it may be a habit, but hungry I can't see it after all that lot.

I eat little and often but do a very physical job so yeah, quite often get calorie hungry if I've worked all day and done a workout in the evening. I eat a very specific way as I can suffer from low blood sugar and going for long periods without food, ie 8 hours of sleep, makes me crash.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought it was

Morning - breakfast
11:30-2:30 - Lunch
4:30-6:30 - Dinner
6:30- - Supper.

But living up north, apparently lunch is dinner and dinner is tea. Barbarians :shrug:

You're missing out brunch.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yeah, honestly. Apart from bread and 2 biscuits a day, I eat pretty healthy, I do a very physical job with plenty of time outdoors, I walk for over an hour every day and workout 3 times a week. My favourite leisure activity is walking, often doing anywhere between 10 and 24 miles on a day off up on the Downs or along the Adur.
I'm 5'11 and weigh a pretty reasonable 12 stone with little fat.

Good man, that's a good height to weight ratio, do you mind me asking how old you are?

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
For me always was as a kid, fifty years ago Breakfast,Dinner,Tea,Supper. Same time every day !! Nowadays rarely have breakfast, snack lunch and main meal seven ish in evening .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It was once explained to me as dinner but without ties.

Good discription. Dress up, having people round it's Dinner, eating round the kitchen table casual like, it's Supper. Both around 7.30 for 8.00.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here