Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you beaten with as a child and by whom?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Caned at school by a piece of bamboo I think, 3 lashes, I blame Thatcher!!

Edit Several teachers enjoyed luzzing boss rubbers at you if you were gobbing off.

Much of the above, but I blame Wilson!

At home it was a wooden spoon on the leg from my Mother!!!! (Sometimes for getting the cane at school!)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
A blackboard rubber , lobbed with unerring accuracy by Frank Ingham during my stint at Patcham Fawcett .

Some of you may wish to look away now ......

9GQ3Xf.gif

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Slapped round the face by a teacher a few times. She only ever seemed to do it to me though.

She once did it because I couldn't do joined up writing. Still can't due to OCD. Looking back, she clearly had issues and took them out on me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Home - some form of garden cane, kicked down stairs, the bendy roads for hot wheels cars loop the loop section (hurt like hell) .

Yep. Frequently beaten with the car tracks from Hot Wheels sets and yes, the pain was often unbearable. My stepdad was more old school and just used his fists or feet.

I too swore I'd never hit my children and thankfully, I never have done. Not even come close to it and my two lads have turned out just fine.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Leather slipper from my dad more times than I can remember.
Back of the hand from my mum

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It is interesting though isn't it how we all had a bit of 'pain' punishment and here we are today all grounded, respectful and all round good citizens off the back of it.

Kids of today have zero respect for adults or anybody for that matter because there is no deterrent and they know this. Give them a verbal bollocking and they just laugh at you and carry on!
But that's just not true, is it? Most kids today are respectful, well-behaved and thoughtful with a much greater appreciation of their responsibilities than many previous generations - of course there are significant numbers who aren't but there have always been. We often hear on this board about the exploits of those who grew up in the the 60s and 70s fighting in the street, wrecking trains and pubs, stripping clean motorway service stations etc etc, events which passed with almost no comment at the time because they were so commonplace and which many now recall with fondness.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
School- Wooden 1 Metre ruler over the head from the physics teacher, he broke a few over my skull, think he bought them by the box load. Sounds worse than it actually was, can't remember it hurting that much.
Maths teacher had a mini cane for whacking knuckles, he also had a large cane but I only saw one lad get wacked across the hand with that.
PE Staff used plimsoles for hitting kids and one teacher had some sort of leather strap, I didn't get hit by any of these though.

Parents- Mum used a wooden spoon on my legs, not good when wearing shorts. Dad slapped me round the ear a few times.
I deserved it though, it wasn't something that happened every day just when I overstepped the mark.

J2 BHA

Jul 28, 2004
I'm surprised all that was allowed by the mid 1980's. I wonder if that little lot was illegal by then?

Good point, back then you got the treatment when you'd been naughty so didn't think about it being illegal!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
But that's just not true, is it? Most kids today are respectful, well-behaved and thoughtful with a much greater appreciation of their responsibilities than many previous generations - of course there are significant numbers who aren't but there have always been. We often hear on this board about the exploits of those who grew up in the the 60s and 70s fighting in the street, wrecking trains and pubs, stripping clean motorway service stations etc etc, events which passed with almost no comment at the time because they were so commonplace and which many now recall with fondness.
Well said. Comments like "it never did me any harm" or "it's what we could do with back in schools now" are inevitable but we have moved on, thankfully, and there are much better ways.

Hitting children is abusive, bullying, stupid, and just plain wrong.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I was repeated punched in the stomach at around 10 by my mother for calling my cousin goofy teeth at a family gathering.
Slapped on the back of the legs by a teacher because I sat down on the bottom rung of a climbing frame whilst recovering from an asthma attack.
Slapped across the face by a woodwork teacher because I turned round to tell another pupil to stop prodding me in the back.
Schools were fairly brutal then but I believe we had a lot more respect for teachers and adults as a whole.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I was repeated punched in the stomach at around 10 by my mother for calling my cousin goofy teeth at a family gathering.
Slapped on the back of the legs by a teacher because I sat down on the bottom rung of a climbing frame whilst recovering from an asthma attack.
Slapped across the face by a woodwork teacher because I turned round to tell another pupil to stop prodding me in the back.
Schools were fairly brutal then but I believe we had a lot more respect for teachers and adults as a whole.

Respect or fear?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Caned across the palm of the hand with a short bamboo stick for pissing about in the language lab during a french lesson. The french mistress sent me to see the deputy-head ( who I think she was shagging) but I thought it would be good idea to hide in the toilets instead, he came and found me, 3 strokes ensued.
Worst punishment by far however though was from the R.E. teacher. He made me stand in one of those large square steel waste-paper baskets, arms out to the side at shoulder height crucifix stylee with palms facing upwards with a large bible on each palm.Excruciatingly painful and him an R.E. teacher 'n all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
PE Teacher, and Deputy Head at Junior School would make you touch your toes while he proceeded to boot you up the arse. Sometimes a smack, but I think it was mostly a kickin'.

Secondary school we still had the cane, but the Head was a bit of a softie and rarely used it.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Remember a ruler on the legs from an elderly female teacher smarting a fair bit when I was about 6. Our English teacher in secondary school used to wallop kids round the back the head with an open hand. Used to give a real clump. Think he was a fairly frustrated individual. Can't agree with hitting kids although there are certainly a few people out there who could do with a corporal reality check

Last edited:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
At primary school in late 70s after my whole class (well the boys only) had a stone fight (if you could call small bits of gravel stones) went on for half an hour until some numpty found a big stone =injury = all of us lined up in front of headteacher one by one to get 'belted' by a piece of leather inch wide, 1/2inch thick with snake tongue. I assume it must have hurt cause I never went back looking for a second go. The belt got banned in Scottish schools around 82/83 - I still think the threat of it made a huge difference to behaviour as it kept the majority of us in fear - it was allways the same 3 or 4 boys (never once heard a girl getting the belt) on the receiving end at secondary school

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
A blackboard rubber , lobbed with unerring accuracy by Frank Ingham during my stint at Patcham Fawcett .

Some of you may wish to look away now ......

View attachment 86542

I was taught by Frank Ingham and thought he was a good teacher (rare in that school) and below his curmudgeonly nature was a decent bloke although not a view shared by many,anyway back to the thread,belt at home,slipper,belt cane at school and witnessed various pupils hit with various flying objects and in woodwork saw teacher Harris(now he was a *******)hit a kid around the head with a bit of 4x2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here