Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever won a competition?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
On the morning on my Stag do I got a call to say i'd won two tickets to the Olympics in London through Visa. All expenses 5 star hotel, Athletics on the Saturday and Woman's Indoor Volly Ball Semi (Insert joke) final. Along with two prepaid Visa cards with £200 each. Great weekend.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I won a pair of Gordon Banks football boots in Tiger and Jag when I was 11.

You won a Jag, aged eleven ?! Could you even see over the dashboard? :lolol:

The only thing I've ever won was a couple of games for my Oric 1 Computer in the early 1980's via CVG Magazine (Computer & Video Games).

They asked for a computer related joke in a funnies competition, and I came up with "What double act do you get if you cross a computer with the premium bonds selector?" - Answer "ORIC & ERNIE"

Come on... I was 12. :glare:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not exactly a competition but... got home from a Withdean midweek match once and there was an email waiting to say I'd been 'selected on a first come first served basis' to buy a couple of tickets for Led Zeppelin at the O2. Should have been wary of a scam, but being a pit pissed, I followed the link just to see what would happen and blimey! it turned out to be genuine. According to wikipedia, 20 million people entered the ballot for tickets! :ohmy:

Also win a lucky dip ticket for two numbers up on the National Lottery practically every other week. Never any actual money, mind.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sky Sports. Any three games anywhere in the country, with hotels etc......

It had to be taken over three months.

Went for:
Newcastle (when they were a big club [emoji6][emoji23]) vs Sunderland

Man City vs Liverpool at Maine Road

Man Utd vs Arsenal title decider.

With the exception of Newcastle, we weren't looked after particularly well, crap seats next to the away fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
As a child I won two 'Guess the number of sweets in the jar' competitions. It was plain then that I was a child genius, set for great things. It turns out in hindsight that I was just a lucky sweet obsessed Goonie.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't think I had, but I have just remembered that shortly after I moved to Bristol I won two tickets to the BRIT awards, including train travel and a hotel for the night from one of the local radio stations.

I can't quite recall what I had to do to enter, but I know it involved them prank calling me during their breakfast show.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I haven't directly but....

My wife won £7k on "you say we pay" that Richard and Judy thing.

And my Dad won £20k on some Heart FM thing which he then shared with me and my siblings. Which was nice.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
VHS of Albion end of season review on radio Sussex 90/91.
Two tickets for the York (abandoned game) from one of the fanzines.
About 50 prizes from Football 365 only got about a third of them before the site as it was went belly up.
Two Tommy Corporates at England V Portugal in Eindhoven euro 2000. Was in the box next to the BBC studio.
Two tickets for Glastonbury for guessing where a cow would be laying in a field at the turn of the hour.
Holiday to Egypt, a bar tab and a framed picture of a sausage dog wearing a hot dog bun suit for winning Bogan Bingo (http://www.boganbingo.co.uk/ - they do it at the Komedia occasionally. Its a silly fun night out). A young lady offered me a blow job for the picture of the dog which my missus took huge offence to (not towards her but me.....like it was my fault!) and we had a massive row and left so never spent the bar tab. The holiday turned out to be a bit of a shit deal (no flights, only for one person and staying in youth hostels) so I gave that a miss to!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Back in the 90s here in NZ, I went to a night club that was promoting Vailima Beer, a drop brewed in Samoa.
For every Vailima beer bought you entered a raffle for a free trip to Samoa. I drank heaps of the stuff and won the trip to Samoa.

When I was notified of winning the trip, I asked can I take my missus only to be told, that I would have to pay for her. I then said Jesus what was second prize, don't tell me 2 trips to Samoa.

In the end I sold the ticket to a Tongan woman at work who had relatives in Samoa.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12965/27760/

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I won a £100 Rediffusion voucher from the Albion for guessing the top three in the player of the season. I can't remember which season it was but Mark Lawrenson won POTS.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Two years running I won tickets in an Argus competition to Guilfest, a music festival in Guilford. I'd never heard of it when I first entered so assumed other people wouldn't have so there'd be little interest. For some reason I fully expected to win, I've no idea why but I assumed it was a forgone conclusion. As expected I won and did the same thing the following years competition with exactly the same high level of expectation and won again
Acts I saw were Blondie, Simple Minds, The Stranglers, Paul Weller, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gary Numan, Billy Idol.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally, nothing much, but my wife won the 'Trip to Sweden' top prize in the IKEA 'swipe a prize' promotion.

4* hotel in Stockholm for 4 nights, for 4 people - flights, private transfers, top rooms, £500 spending money, canoe tour, city 'viking' tour, and all meals and drinks.

We didn't know how they would manage the 'meals and drinks' part, but turns out that rather than vouchers for the hotel restaurant, which we expected, it is just a shitload of CASH. £200 for each evening meal for 4, and £150 for each lunch! The cheque, with the 'spending money' is for £1,900!

We are going in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it immensely.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Just before Christmas i won one of those "like it and share" competitions on Facebook for some sailing gear. A voucher, a jacket and some other stuff. I received the prize in between Christmas and new year. A week later they sent me the prize again!

I always presumed those never paid out and were just spam, interesting to hear someone actually won one!

When I was 13, I won a beach skittles tournament in Newquay. The prize was a rather expensive cigarette lighter. An ideal gift for any 13 year old, I thought ... even then.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Won a signed first edition of Beckham's first book via The Telegraph. Still sitting in the original padded envelope somehwhere, only thing I have ever won and have no interest in it.

Edit: Was working in Oman, went to a party at the Filipino Embassy and when I won first prize in the raffle I thought 'here we go'.

Turned out to be a free unlimited cargo return to Manila designed for some returning staff to get all of their kit home.

Gave it away to one of the more deserving guests, in return for a peck on the cheek and an Amstel.

I also won a vinyl recording of the West Ham United cup final team, singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles". This was in a BBC Radio Brighton competition on a programme that was being compered by a mate of mine, who simply wanted to get rid of the disc because (1) he didn't want to play it on his show and (2) he knew that my brother-in-law was a Hammers fan.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
On honeymoon in Tenerife I "won" a prize on a scratchcard from an insistent timeshare seller. Coincidentally he won the offer of a "punch in the teeth" if he didn't fook off.

And a third prize I won was in the very first edition of the "You Are The Ref" competition run by The Observer. They offered a prize for a scenario that might puzzle football fans with an interest in the more obscure bits of the laws of football. My scenario was all about what a referee should do if a defender pushed over an attacking player who had run round the defender by leaving the field of play while the ball remained on the pitch and still in play. The push took place off the pitch and neither the attacker nor the defender was on the pitch when it happened. What should the ref do?

The prize was a book. And I won it because, at the time, Lady B was writing match reports on Albion home games for the Observer, and the Editor of the Football Pages set the whole thing up.

It gave me an early insight into the corruption of the British press.

I was also involved in selecting a winner in a little competition that was designed to promote the Withdean Park and Ride service that East Sussex County Council had set up. A Marks and Spencer voucher was to be handed out to the "100,000th" passenger that used the service. The Argus was lined up to take a photograph if the lucky winner.

Who to choose? Obvious. The attractive, photogenic young woman with the smiling child. I have to say that I felt slightly dishonest. But that's show business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here