Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton Fan Zone

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Another thing to bear in mind is The Hawthorns and Goodison have been there for decades upon decades, the Amex hasn't but is gradually improving outside season by season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Never underestimate some on NSC and their ability to attack the club (and naturally Barber-out) on a Monday morning.
I just hope this thread follows the usual trend where NSC Albion fans make very obvious and sensible suggestions for improvements that will actually make a difference to them (rather than some new capability to pay for upgrading a ticket to 1901 just before kick off), and a consensus is reached, before "Two Page Paul" comes along with his Golden (Sledge)Hammer and tells us why the professionals have got it right...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm certainly not attacking anyone. I just recall Tom's enthusiasm to really make something of the outer concourse areas at the Amex, but I also have a vague recollection that red-tape (council and/or National Rail and/or someone else) may have been a barrier in progressing those plans.

I think you are correct I believe both Tom and his predecessor Paul Bierne were keen on making more use of the space outside the ground. Not sure why these plans had yet to come to fruition, I'd guess resources but I would not be surprised if planning also had something to do with it. I'd like to think if we can stay up we may be able to upgrade next season especially as other clubs are now successfully operating decent fan zones around the league, Swansea had a good one too.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Another thing to bear in mind is The Hawthorns and Goodison have been there for decades upon decades, the Amex hasn't but is gradually improving outside season by season.

I agree with this... and the outside facilities have definitely evolved... but there is much that could be done to make it all the more successful / enjoyable.

A little bit of cover from inclement weather, seating, toilets, better use of the stage, interviews, match highlights, video screens, Eagles/Fleetwood Mac covers from the over-compressed guitar-playing duo - all in evidence at Everton and very well used a by both sets of fans.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really even just some toilets for fans outside would be a big improvement.

Assume the Fanzone is the way it is as the club wants people to head inside to the concourses where fans are segregated and easier to manage whilst spending money at club outlets.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think you are correct I believe both Tom and his predecessor Paul Bierne were keen on making more use of the space outside the ground. Not sure why these plans had yet to come to fruition, I'd guess resources but I would not be surprised if planning also had something to do with it. I'd like to think if we can stay up we may be able to upgrade next season especially as other clubs are now successfully operating decent fan zones around the league, Swansea had a good one too.
That was good. Big screen showing the early game, bars, things for the kids, music, KFC and a pub next to the car park. Swansea have got it right.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
I have been to these games as well. If you take the overall setup, Amex V Hawthorns V Goodison, I know which one I prefer. Think away fans at the Albion would probably agree with me.

For fanzone & atmosphere type stuff around the ground, Hawthorns/ Goodison equal 1st, Amex 3rd. Brighton is a much nicer place than either Birmingham or Liverpool though.

Thinking about it, not many new grounds are that good outside but the facilities inside are more modern, if not always better.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I believe Tom Gorringe really wanted a big fanzone thing at the Amex when he took on his role with the club, including Albion-ising (my word) the approach from the station so that as soon as you got off the train (or walked over the bridge anyway) you would have no doubt about where you were.

I'm not sure if planning/licensing etc or lack of senior support/apathy are the reasons that very little progress was made with any of that, and Tom has since moved on to Bristol Rovers.

It does feel a real opportunity missed to date though.

Anyone who went to any of the Rugby world cup games would have seen what COULD be done.

This is what Tom really wanted to achieve but he came up against various brick walls along the way which was making it difficult.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As someone that didn't go to the rugby world cup what was done that was different? Thanks.

Not a good start, but I'll keep looking:-

rugby-fans-arrive-by-train-to-watch-south-africa-play-japan-in-the-F2MAX4.jpg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not a good start, but I'll keep looking:-

View attachment 95072

Thank you. Doesn't appear there were too many problems with planning or Network Rail there!

The concessions and the bandstand seem to close / pack up waaaay before kick off and if you are going to have the Harveys stand open to drink pre-match, then you really do need some external toilet facilities!

el punal

Never underestimate some on NSC and their ability to attack the club (and naturally Barber-out) on a Monday morning.

I know, pathetic isn't it. Strange how the Amex, and the club, has won countless awards for offering the best facilities for fans. And, recently, been voted the best away ground to visit by Best of the 92 poll in the Football Ground Guide. Still, some who post on here have made an art form out of nitpicking.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here