Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield pubs

theboybilly

I'm going up by train on Saturday and staying over near Hillsborough. I'll likely have a few ales in the Sheffield Tap on the station then head off to my accommodation to drop my gear off then go to the match. Are there any recommendations for post-match ale pubs. Is Kelham Island as good as it's cracked up to be?

(another pub fairly near the ground is the Queens Ground on Langsett Road (on the tram route) then a 20 minute walk to Hillsborough) I'd avoid most pubs any closer than this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Loads of excellent options in Sheffield. Try: The Sheffield Tap which is a lovely old renovated brew pub literally at the station. The Rutland Arms has excellent beers and food. And then the Thornbridge owned pub The Bath Hotel.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm going up by train on Saturday and staying over near Hillsborough. I'll likely have a few ales in the Sheffield Tap on the station then head off to my accommodation to drop my gear off then go to the match. Are there any recommendations for post-match ale pubs. Is Kelham Island as good as it's cracked up to be?

(another pub fairly near the ground is the Queens Ground on Langsett Road (on the tram route) then a 20 minute walk to Hillsborough) I'd avoid most pubs any closer than this.

Wrong side of the city for my expertise but if you're staying over that way then I would definitely say the Kelham Island pubs are your best bet. Lots of good places to eat too.

Don't know about near Hillsborough but it's always been pretty crap round there and Kelham Island is only a few minutes away so I'd go with that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wrong side of the city for my expertise but if you're staying over that way then I would definitely say the Kelham Island pubs are your best bet. Lots of good places to eat too.

Don't know about near Hillsborough but it's always been pretty crap round there and Kelham Island is only a few minutes away so I'd go with that.

Agreed as on the tram route way as well.

We are meeting Junior so will have a lunch somewhere in the City.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was in Wetherspoons by the tram stop last season with [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] , he was well OILED

Indeed he gave me a first hand report of this meeting of two venerable NSC clans, I understand banning orders were high on the agenda

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Bath Hotel is a must for an Ale drinker and TBF a non Ale Drinker . Sadly i'm in York Saturday arrive 10.50 leave 20.30 with a game in between:drink::drink: Heaven. Sheffield is a top drinking City .

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Fat Cat just 1 min walk from Kelham Island is a top Pub too.

Athelwulf

Jan 29, 2016
I'm an OwIs fan. I wouldn't sup in any of the pubs in Hillsborough, owing to the clientele. That's nothing to do with football, it's just that Hillsborough is a focal point for all the undesirables from the surrounding housing estates, namely the Parson Cross. I read somewhere that it's the biggest in Europe, and crime is committed there every 15 minutes. The options in my opinion are the real ale pubs such as the Fat Cat on Alma Street, or if you want to drink relatively close to the stadium but in far more genteel surroundings then I'd head for Wadsley (not to be confused with Wadsley Bridge, which is the other side of the valley). Try the Horse and Jockey, the Rose and Crown, the Sportsman and the Wadsley Jack. From there it's about a mile down the road (straight down Wadsley Lane) to the visitors' stand on Leppings Lane. Happy Guzzling.

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
I'm an OwIs fan. I wouldn't sup in any of the pubs in Hillsborough, owing to the clientele. That's nothing to do with football, it's just that Hillsborough is a focal point for all the undesirables from the surrounding housing estates, namely the Parson Cross. I read somewhere that it's the biggest in Europe, and crime is committed there every 15 minutes. The options in my opinion are the real ale pubs such as the Fat Cat on Alma Street, or if you want to drink relatively close to the stadium but in far more genteel surroundings then I'd head for Wadsley (not to be confused with Wadsley Bridge, which is the other side of the valley). Try the Horse and Jockey, the Rose and Crown, the Sportsman and the Wadsley Jack. From there it's about a mile down the road (straight down Wadsley Lane) to the visitors' stand on Leppings Lane. Happy Guzzling.

Wow, you're a very bigoted fool, whilst some pubs in the Hillsborough area does attract a few ********s there are some good pubs and good people in there, however on matchdays it is usually home fans only, as is the Horse and Jockey now.

Personally I'd recommend to have a few beers in the city centre, plenty of pubs catering for all types, the real ale run is worth a look if that's your type of thing, The Harlequin, Riverside, Kelham Island, Fat Cat and Shakespeare all within a five minute walk of each other. Then aim for the Ship and/or Hillsborough Hotel and from there a five or so minute tram ride to the ground.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
I am coming to the game with my son (13) and daughter (9). They are desperate to wear colours so was thinking The Horse and Jockey, be good to meet up with some fellow supporters. We are staying with relatives in Sheffield and getting a lift so not worried about getting to or from the ground...

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010

Athelwulf

Jan 29, 2016
Touched a raw nerve there, obviously. Lol. In the end, it's about what you want your match-day experience to be...especially after a 200-mile journey. I've lived in the area for 50 years, so it's based on experience not bigotry. There are good people everywhere, and not all Crucians are bad people, but it's about playing the percentages. In my view Brighton fans are less likely to get aggro in Wadsley than in Hillsborough, that's all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here