Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield Town Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
On the positive side all the new players look good and the old players are performing better than last year.

On the negative side I have just finished my bottle of wine.

I will take that positive and go and open another bottle of wine.

That was a very negative stance, I opened my second at least half an hour ago.

Keep up !

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Well I'm a bit stressed having had to sit through the pain of listening to us on the radio, and a I'd have liked a win against a side that I don't think will do much this year. Obviously delighted to have won the first two games, so 7 points from 9 is fantastic. Not delighted to have drawn tonight though, and it's tonight that I'm thinking about mostly at the moment. And being stressed, I was reacting to a cliche I disagree with.

Well I shall approach Saturday with the 'we're unexpectedly 2nd' whilst wearing my hat on the side of my head sewing daisies into my adjacent fan's hair and at the same time whistling Vivaldi.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But you quoted someone saying win at home draw away as not being good enough.
Again, no I didn't. I understand the maths, I didn't say the points total wouldn't be good enough, of course it would. Arkwright said
"I'm ok with the draw, these are the games we lost last season. Draw away and win at home = top six finish"
and I disagree with the fallacy that you only need to draw your away games.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Yep last season Millwall won their first home game and first away game then drew their 2nd away game. They had a one goal better goal difference. Matey boy above seems to struggle with that. This is a long slog of a season not a fairy story his mum used to read to him a couple of years ago.

With the football we are playing, and the new (game-changing) signings we have made (Murphy, Zamora, Harper etc.) this season will be anything but a slog.
We will gracefully ease our way out of the Championship.

At which point, I soooooo hope the moaning no-nothings on here will shut the **** up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

At which point, I soooooo hope the moaning no-nothings on here will shut the **** up.
I'm far less optimistic about promotion, but if that did happen, the no-nothings on here would complain that we hadn't invested enough for life in the PL, and slag off the players that won promotion as they're clearly not fit for the PL.

Sounded like we were going nick it at the end... Would like to see Murphy in for March on Saturday
I'd liked to have seen him in for March today, I really don't understand why he wasn't. I like March, he's developing and a good prospect, but he's not currently as good as Murphy.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
With the football we are playing, and the new (game-changing) signings we have made (Murphy, Zamora, Harper etc.) this season will be anything but a slog.

What will happen is that after losing a couple of games they'll be a lot of bed wetting and I'll have to explain to you why we should be patient.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm absolutely chuffed with our start but agree with what some other posters are trying to say. If we really want to compete at the top end of the division we need to be winning these games. 7 points from 3 games is still superb, lets make it 10 from 4 on saturday! :albion2:

totally agree, its a fantastic start, but we've also been a tad lucky.

Hughton will do just fine, sure we'll be miles better than last season, but not convinced we'll win many of these types of games or enough to be serious contenders, as Chris Hughton's ultra conservative and risk averse.

We sat back tonight, conceded and when CH swapped Hemed for Ince on 62 mins that for me said Hughton has decided on giving up trying to change things to win the game and instead try to go defensive and hold on for the point. It worked today and we got the point, but I don't think Eddie Howe or Slavisa Jokanovic last season would do the same. They'd be trying to find a way to win the game rather than simply not lose it.

Onwards and upwards, 7 points is a great return. Roll on Blackburn.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
and I disagree with the fallacy that you only need to draw your away games.

But it isn't "you only need to draw your away games". That would be a fallacy as you'd only have 23 points and would be relegated.

It's "win all your home games and draw away games" and that isn't a fallacy as it is true.

(see my previous post on the likelihood of those results occurring, and the spirit behind the cliché, if you care)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Decent result that, the long periods of getting completely dominated in games is a bit concerning.

Yep, our possession an passing stats were not what we are used to. However, the worse passing and possession so far this season are Ipswich

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2015-2016

I still think keeping possession is a useful tactic when leading 1-0. They can chase shadows and the opposition can't score when we have the ball.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
But it isn't "you only need to draw your away games". That would be a fallacy as you'd only have 23 points and would be relegated.

It's "win all your home games and draw away games" and that isn't a fallacy as it is true.

Bournemouth with their modestish squad did not like to settle for draws last season. Go a goal up after a minute to a mediocre team only to draw is what we did a lot of last season. Wheel see.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You don't get the choice to win your home games and draw your away games, it's a cliche from football pundits to suggest what you should aim for. You should aim to win your home games regardless of your away games. And since you won't win all of your home games, you should be aiming to win some away games too. The post I was replying to was saying 'I'm ok with a draw' and using the cliche to back up that drawing away games is good enough, and I don't think it is, because we're not going to win our home games.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I linked to the Pipex shares thread today and coincidentally there was a prediction in there from THPP, from 2007:

So I will go for the above, except Hunemeier in for Butters and Hemed in for Savage.

Off to place said flutter now.
Bad form to quote oneself but thanks to [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]. Your 8 year old tip came in and I won a few quid.

Would have preferred 3 points but this is a nice second prize!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You don't get the choice to win your home games and draw your away games, it's a cliche from football pundits to suggest what you should aim for. You should aim to win your home games regardless of your away games. And since you won't win all of your home games, you should be aiming to win some away games too. The post I was replying to was saying 'I'm ok with a draw' and using the cliche to back up that drawing away games is good enough, and I don't think it is, because we're not going to win our home games.

But as I said before. It's not about aiming to win home games, and only aiming to draw away games. It doesn't mean if you're entering the final minute and are a goal to the good you have to stick one in your own net just to get that draw, that's a ridiculously literal way to take it.

The sentiment behind "draw away, win at home" is perfectly innocuous. At its heart it's the same as aiming for "2pt per game average" that also gets thrown around as the aim for promotion, while acknowledging that (in theory) home games are expected to be easier to win due to home advantage.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But as I said before. It's not about aiming to win home games, and only aiming to draw away games.
Yes, that's basically what it means.
It doesn't mean if you're entering the final minute and are a goal to the good you have to stick one in your own net just to get that draw, that's a ridiculously literal way to take it.
Wow, that's weird. No one said that aiming to get a draw in away games is the same as scoring an own goal to make sure you only get a draw. You can set up with the plan to get a draw, or you can set up to go for the win, whilst accepting that may make you more vulnerable at the back.

Some managers are more cautious, some are reckless. Some will setup to get draws away from home. While they'll obviously take the wins when they get them, the idea to setup for a draw is an understandable one for many teams. For a team the wants to win promotion from the Championship, I don't think aiming to draw away from home is good enough, except when facing the best teams. If we had been away to Middlesbrough today, aiming for a draw would have been a good plan.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
But as I said before. It's not about aiming to win home games, and only aiming to draw away games. It doesn't mean if you're entering the final minute and are a goal to the good you have to stick one in your own net just to get that draw, that's a ridiculously literal way to take it.

The sentiment behind "draw away, win at home" is perfectly innocuous. At its heart it's the same as aiming for "2pt per game average" that also gets thrown around as the aim for promotion, while acknowledging that (in theory) home games are expected to be easier to win due to home advantage.
we narrowly beat a modest Forrest side which was very good, then with a bit of fortune won at Fulham and have just drawn to an average team which we did a lot of last season. If saying that a mid table finnish would be acceptable is being negative then I'm guilty as charged yer honour. Of course it's NOT being negative though is it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're not going to win all our home games, so we will need to win some away games, draws won't be enough.

We did - on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here