Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wolverhampton's answer to Mark Cavendish... more like the Hovis boy!

Being the competitive sort of chap that I am, I would be hammering down that last 15 miles, holding a personal grudge against everybody who passed me on the climbs. :lol:
Sure as hell not stopping with just 6 miles to go.

I guarantee you'll feel every inch of the first 40 miles in that profile, then spend the rest of the ride thinking 'was't it supposed to be downhill, by now?'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Being the competitive sort of chap that I am, I would be hammering down that last 15 miles, holding a personal grudge against everybody who passed me on the climbs. :lol:
Sure as hell not stopping with just 6 miles to go.

I guarantee you'll feel every inch of the first 40 miles in that profile, then spend the rest of the ride thinking 'was't it supposed to be downhill, by now?'

Don't listen to him, strings. It's about 'getting there'. All the rest is just bluster.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Eat, drink and be Mary!

You'll be fine, but keep taking on board drink and food, irrespective as to whether you think you 'need' it or not.
When you will 'need' it, that's the exact moment it's too late!, from then on you're playing catch up.

If you're going to be a novice to group riding it's fairly self explanatory, follow the leaders.
Be alert so you don't do anything sudden:-

- Point out potholes.
- Left arm behind back indicates parked car.
- CLEAR when a junction is clear.
- CAR BACK esp if we've encroached across the road.

Grab anything and everything that's free!
You should be able to fuel most of your winter with gels and bars.

Don't forget...CAR UP - if you're the first round a bend and there's a car coming the other way.

You'll be fine strings, the distance is never as bad as you imagine, if you can dictate your own pace. I imagine on a Sportive there are lots of groups all over the road and you can either take turns in one that suits if you're feeling good, or tag on the back of whatever you can if you're suffering.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't listen to him, strings. It's about 'getting there'. All the rest is just bluster.

Bollox to that, it's all about grinding other cyclists into the dirt, fuelled by the burning rage of a 1000 suns. :lolol:

I think I would be the most asshole I could possibly be, on that route.
Right from the start I'd be moaning, groaning and chuntering on, then after the final spike demanding everyone goes faster and refusing to stop. :

It goes without saying I'll have enjoyed every second, (not so sure about those around me) as you will [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], it looks a great challenge and one to be proud of, but it sure as hell wouldn't sound it. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A tremendous effort from the Orica rider today.
Big grin and wave to camera, just as Froome and Contador attacked for the finish.

Sunday social meets top flight athletes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Odd one from Aru today. I know he's an irrelevance in this race now anyway, but it was curious seeing him waste so much energy on that lone attack.

My betting is he knows he'll have nothing left for Angliru anyway and so today was a sort of last hurrah before he moves on.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Hope you don't mind the proud parent boasting post.

My daughter got picked by British cycling to be part of the girls team that represent the central region in the school games finals

http://schoolgamesfinals.org/

It like a mini Olympics and the best young athletes in the country get picked to represent their sport.

She was part of the team that beat 11 others to pick up a bronze medal. She has won medals before, but this one is a bit special.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 69

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hope you don't mind the proud parent boasting post.

My daughter got picked by British cycling to be part of the girls team that represent the central region in the school games finals

http://schoolgamesfinals.org/

It like a mini Olympics and the best young athletes in the country get picked to represent their sport.

She was part of the team that beat 11 others to pick up a bronze medal. She has won medals before, but this one is a bit special.

Always nice to hear of your daughter's progress. Great to see she's sticking with it and still doing really well.

Well done to her on this latest achievement.
Brilliant stuff! :clap2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seconded.

Keep us posted Ozzy it's always great to her how she's doing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odd one from Aru today. I know he's an irrelevance in this race now anyway, but it was curious seeing him waste so much energy on that lone attack.

My betting is he knows he'll have nothing left for Angliru anyway and so today was a sort of last hurrah before he moves on.

The Podcast chaps interviewed Astana DS, he confirmed Aru was just riding for pride.
He also said the mechanics made a mistake and Aru did yesterdays climb with a 39T chainring.
Just about everyone else were riding 34-36.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Podcast chaps interviewed Astana DS, he confirmed Aru was just riding for pride.
He also said the mechanics made a mistake and Aru did yesterdays climb with a 39T chainring.
Just about everyone else were riding 34-36.

You didn't chuck a few quid their way to make that 'mistake' did you. That's just cruel ! :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You didn't chuck a few quid their way to make that 'mistake' did you. That's just cruel ! :nono:
Normally the stopped clock adage would apply, but not this time.

I'm more amazed by the fact you couldn't see this Vuelta as a probability for Astana.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] have you got your wheels yet?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hey [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] have you got your wheels yet?

No, not ordered them yet...for some reason. I have commitment issues when it comes to wheels...

A fellow club rider has just taken delivery of his set to the same spec. and loves them.

Oh, and [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] is now a full member of Brighton Excelsior and been out with him on a few club rides already! We're getting the NSC caps out together...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, not ordered them yet...for some reason. I have commitment issues when it comes to wheels...

A fellow club rider has just taken delivery of his set to the same spec. and loves them.

Oh, and [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] is now a full member of Brighton Excelsior and been out with him on a few club rides already! We're getting the NSC caps out together...

Ah nothing wrong with being a ditherer, although aren't you now edging towards 'might as well wait till spring'?.

I genuinely, on my life this is true, have the opportunity to have some 'procrastination is the thief of time' type workplace training.
But I haven't got round to signing up yet!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Had a pretty good week with the bike, without really riding it.

On Tuesday my mate took a look at my B/B as its been creaking & crunching - he had a spare so fitted it, & gave the whole thing a service for the cost of a crate of beer. Now purring along silently....

On Wednesday a work colleague gave me a brand new set of Shimano pedals & cleats for nothing as he cant use them - & then last night popped down to H******s to pick up an order for the missus, & found a set of Boardman clip-less pedals & cleats down from £45 to a tenner! Worth having as spares I convinced myself....

Saved myself well over a ton in cash - bargaintastic!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Early Heads up - [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is keen to organise another Sedlhurst to Amex bike ride (52 nmiles) for the REMF. Possible dates - the weekend of 2nd and 3rd of June or the following weekend. It was brilliant last time, four years ago :)ohmy:) with some of us doing Amex-Selhurst-Amex.

He has asked me to help co-ordinate the ride, so let's get some interest going.

Who's in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here