Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom's Open Letter

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ryan will be mentally exhausted - season in Spain ended a lot later than ours - then off on international duty

he had a two week break when all others would have had best part of two months

next season after a good break he will do a lot better

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reading between the lines, I believe what Tony is trying to tell us all is this...

cropped_CUT_Cows_rear_arse_sayings_istock.jpg 15000_1.jpg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But he might have come on loan? Who knows.

Only we couldn't sign him on loan as we'd signed another keeper on loan, meaning our two loans were already used up.

And why had we signed that keeper on loan? Because the one we'd spent £5 million on doesn't inspire confidence ?

We were always going to have 3 goalkeepers in our squad so that Walton could be loaned out. All prem league teams have 3 in their 25.

It was also reported we were looking for a 3rd keeper this summer before we'd even signed Ryan.

There's lots of reasons we didn't land a striker - but Pinning the blame on our goalkeeper recruitment is a long shot.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There's lots of reasons we didn't land a striker - but Pinning the blame on our goalkeeper recruitment is a long shot.

If only he could save long shots, it wouldn't be an issue.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I found it bizarre that people are still claiming that the loan of a goalkeeper ruined the chance of a loan striker.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We were always going to have 3 goalkeepers in our squad so that Walton could be loaned out. All prem league teams have 3 in their 25.

It was also reported we were looking for a 3rd keeper this summer before we'd even signed Ryan.
Yes we needed 3 keepers, but we didn't need all 3 to be of a similar level, and we didn't need the 3rd to be a PL loan.

Not at all. It's not surprising Janssen didn't want to join us on a permanent deal given that he hadn't heard from us or been to see the club etc, however it's easy to imagine him accepting a loan deal for a few months.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes we needed 3 keepers, but we didn't need all 3 to be of a similar level, and we didn't need the 3rd to be a PL loan.

Not at all. It's not surprising Janssen didn't want to join us on a permanent deal given that he hadn't heard from us or been to see the club etc, however it's easy to imagine him accepting a loan deal for a few months.

it's not easy to imagine that at all. He didn't want to come. Why the certainty ?

Or why the club don't want keepers of a similar level (i.e.: good enough to play in the 18) ?

The club didn't get a striker in. Bad luck, incompetence, planning, agents etc. Fair enough. Pick your choice. But because Tim Krul was signed on a loan. Come on .

Last edited:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
it's not easy to imagine that at all. He didn't want to come. Why the certainty ?

Or why the club don't want keepers of a similar level (i.e.: good enough to play in the 18) ?

The club didn't get a striker in. Bad luck, incompetence, planning, agents etc. Fair enough. Pick your choice. But because Tim Krul was signed on a loan. Come on .

Who knows what the truth is but I don't think the Krul theory is that far-fetched. I think it was fairly obvious we didn't want our 3rd keeper to take up one of our loans from the PL. We know about the Pau Lopez interest and there were also reports of another keeper turning us down after we'd made an 8m euro bid. I also think the timing of the Krul announcement perhaps suggests we were waiting until we were 'sure' we were getting a striker in permanently before using up our loan. He was only announced just before 11 when you'd assume we had the initial agreement of both Spurs and Janssen to the permanent deal. If we hadn't had that, would we have had a final go at Niasse on loan from Everton (or someone else) - I think we possibly would.

As I say, who knows but I wouldn't dismiss the suggestion that a loan keeper from the PL was not our ideal option and that Janssen may have signed on loan rather than permanent if given the choice - I know if I wasn't 100% sure on leaving one company and joining another, I would love to do so for a shorter time period so I could properly check it out at pretty much zero risk to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh blimey Wrongy McWrong-Face still hasn't learned his lesson and is back telling everyone else just how wrong they are instead. :lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The goalie situation just all looks a bit odd.

We had three keepers last season. Walton went on loan. So we had two.

We let Stockdale go and bought Ryan. We then signed another one on loan despite having Maenpaa.

Loans used up.

Why? Why not keep Walton and Maenpaa as backups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Oh blimey Wrongy McWrong-Face still hasn't learned his lesson and is back telling everyone else just how wrong they are instead. :lolol:

Ha!

Well I was certainly wrong and expected us to sign a striker this window SB. (And did last summer) We didn't . I understand why but
It might cost us. Let's get that out of the way.

But come on - enough of the silly insults and digs.. There's no need. We are all fans at the end of the day. I'm boringly pedantic on here and a bit annoying. Hands up. but certainly hope I'm fair and if called out - I apologise or admit it. . And it's tiresome to be called Pravda, in the pay of the club or Barber because we disagree.
At least Quote me or mention me next time you want to have a go. .

And yes. Baldock gets injured a lot. I can't deny it any longer.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

To be fair, his chance of a Carabao Cup medal as non-playing sub is higher at Tottenham than if he'd come to us. And for an established international, it's all about silverware.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ryan will be mentally exhausted - season in Spain ended a lot later than ours - then off on international duty

he had a two week break when all others would have had best part of two months

next season after a good break he will do a lot better

He might be knackered on Saturday given they're playing in Melbourne tonight though. And if they get a big win he'll be in Russia in the summer. If they don't he'll be needed for playoffs. Hardly ideal & another reason I'd play Krul on Saturday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ha!

Well I was certainly wrong and expected us to sign a striker this window SB. (And did last summer) We didn't . I understand why but
It might cost us. Let's get that out of the way.

But come on - enough of the silly insults and digs.. There's no need. We are all fans at the end of the day. I'm boringly pedantic on here and a bit annoying. Hands up. but certainly hope I'm fair and if called out - I apologise or admit it. . And it's tiresome to be called Pravda, in the pay of the club or Barber because we disagree.
At least Quote me or mention me next time you want to have a go. .

And yes. Baldock gets injured a lot. I can't deny it any longer.

I enjoy your posts Chailey but I have to confess that I did laugh when somebody asked which part of the recruitment team you worked for. It lightened a stressful end to the window :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I enjoy your posts Chailey but I have to confess that I did laugh when somebody asked which part of the recruitment team you worked for. It lightened a stressful end to the window :smile:

Ha! If anyone wants advice on keeping a squad of kids footballers together in the lower reaches of the Sussex Sunday youth leagues for 6 years I'm your man. Anything more advanced than that. ? Fraid not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainty? Saying it's easy to imagine him accepting a loan is quite different to saying it's certain he will. And you saying he didn't want to come only applies to signing a permanent deal. If he hated the idea of coming, he wouldn't have let his agent get so far along with the deal.

Or why the club don't want keepers of a similar level
Because keepers aren't injured that often and the number 3 rarely gets a game, so it's worth splitting your budget so that you have one really good keeper instead of 3 average keepers. That's pretty much the case in all clubs.

The club didn't get a striker in. Bad luck, incompetence, planning, agents etc. Fair enough. Pick your choice. But because Tim Krul was signed on a loan. Come on.
I don't understand why you don't see the link. You don't know that we couldn't have got a striker on loan had we not have used up our allocation.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The goalie situation just all looks a bit odd.

We had three keepers last season. Walton went on loan. So we had two.

We let Stockdale go and bought Ryan. We then signed another one on loan despite having Maenpaa.

Loans used up.

Why? Why not keep Walton and Maenpaa as backups?

Walton is in development and requires regular game time

Krul on loan is unusual, because Maenpaa is clearly an adequate back up. Unless something has happened in the background? Then I'm just speculating.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't understand why you don't see the link. You don't know that we couldn't have got a striker on loan had we not have used up our allocation.

I do see it. I just think its pretty far fetched to say out of muiltiple moving parts, most of which we don't know apart. Its this one that caused that one.
Perhaps our strategy that day was signing Niasse on loan, Andone on a permanent and selling Hemed to Reading, and a keeper on permanent (who knows who that might have been)
Everton scuppered that one early on and thus the Hemed move despite Reading bidding higher and higher. They wouldn't budge on the loan, accepted a bid from Palace and that was that. (until more hiccups for CPFC later on)
So perhaps loan freed up, we moved on to Krul , who then got on a train to Brighton in early afternoon for his medical. The 3rd GK we'd planned for all summer.
And so strategy was now keep Hemed + Andone bid which was finally accepted in principle in the PM on basis of 2 incoming. One came in, one collapsed pretty late on. And then we moved onto VJ. Who first accepted and then changed his mind.

No doubt there were a whole bunch of other moving parts nobody has any idea about. So to pinpoint Krul , the poor lad, and the GK strategy seems unlikely. But yep. I get it !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here