Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
anyone else thinking of doing the AITC ride? We are thinking of putting a SBC team in, just waiting on the details of team discounts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
anyone else thinking of doing the AITC ride? We are thinking of putting a SBC team in, just waiting on the details of team discounts.
It would be tough for me to sneak onto an AITC ride, when jnr finds out there's a 25 mile route.

Plus I'm not sure I can do a route named 'Giant' that's only 75 miles long. :lolol: :facepalm: :lolol: :dunce:

#pretentious-moi :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can't see them shifting if you're so far in front!

Ha ha I haven't been out in a while, and I was hanging on for dear life last night - not taking a single turn on the front - the proverbial wheel sucker! Although I was polite enough to tell everyone I was hanging on so don't expect anything from me. Was quick though for an evening run out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
50p e/w on Kudus today @ 80/1

He has to go in the break in at least one of the mountain stages. Dimension Data seem to have been pretty anonymous so far this Giro.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Am I the only one liking this year's Cannondale? Nice simple styling and straight lines, or is it too basic and unfinished for some?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Enjoyed that stage today.
At some point this Summer we've got to get together for a NW West Sussex ride, just to get you off the blooming A roads. :angry: :lol:

Great ride today.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Does anyone have any insight as to whether electronic shifters are worth it? I've got a 2 year old Planet X pro carbon with mechanical Ultegra group set. For some, mainly unknown reason, I think I fancy upgrading to Di2. It looks like I can do that more cheaply by buying a new bike! I have built a Ribble Sportive Azzuro Di2 Ultegra on their website for £1,650, which seems incredible value to me. However, I think I'd rather have an Orro next, the Orro Gold Di2 Ultegra is about £1k more at £2,600. Is the Orro worth the extra outlay? Or should I save my cash and stick with the Planet X?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another win for the break again today then. Nice win for Nieve, and Sky could keep this up too. About 30 riders went in that initial break today, and Kudus wasn't even one of them :facepalm: Have to have another £1 on him tomorrow though as it climbs right from the off this time and gets very high.

Can't see Zakarin staying with the GC group tomorrow. Yo-yoing off the back all day today as soon as anyone put in even the smallest dig. Disappointed to see Firsanov finally crack as well. I can see someone like Majka or Chaves sneaking this Giro at this rate as it's not as if Nibs and AVV are super dominant. Still have a feeling that Kruijswijk will crack at some point, although it would be great if he didn't.

Champagne moment of the day for me - Jungels dropped on the last climb and not a team mate in sight, right from the very bottom. Paces himself nicely so as not to lose too much time, then right at the bottom of the final descent, who suddenly appears to work his socks off for his team mate to try to limit loses?......BRAMBILLA!
I think he must have literally flown down that final descent! :eek: Someone needs to get a go pro on his bike on one of these descents.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Does anyone have any insight as to whether electronic shifters are worth it? I've got a 2 year old Planet X pro carbon with mechanical Ultegra group set. For some, mainly unknown reason, I think I fancy upgrading to Di2. It looks like I can do that more cheaply by buying a new bike! I have built a Ribble Sportive Azzuro Di2 Ultegra on their website for £1,650, which seems incredible value to me. However, I think I'd rather have an Orro next, the Orro Gold Di2 Ultegra is about £1k more at £2,600. Is the Orro worth the extra outlay? Or should I save my cash and stick with the Planet X?
I think the general feeling is that it is great and works brilliantly but there are better ways to spend the extra cash if your budget is under 3/4k.

However 1600 is a great deal. I like the idea of the orro but have never heard if they're any good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Two things:

1) Have you ridden the Ribble?

I like the look of Ribble bikes, but I once test rode a 2nd hand, nearly new, Ribble Evo Pro Carbon. Ok, it's their entry level carbon I think, but it looked lovely, and best of all this particular one had Campag Centaur on it. I was convinced I would buy it when I first saw it. I was really quite surprised at how strangely sluggish it felt to ride. I ended up leaving it. Not saying all Ribble bikes are like this, but it did teach me that looks and spec are nothing compared to actually test riding.

2) Electronic shifting:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
At some point this Summer we've got to get together for a NW West Sussex ride, just to get you off the blooming A roads. :angry: :lol:

Great ride today.

Tricky and I bumped into Pogue a couple of weeks ago on our ride, and we thought it would be a good idea to have another geeks ride during the summer. As you're so good at organising, we voted for you to sort one out. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tricky and I bumped into Pogue a couple of weeks ago on our ride, and we thought it would be a good idea to have another geeks ride during the summer. As you're so good at organising, we voted for you to sort one out. :)
I don't think I am the man to sort out a ride.
I kept striking out last year to the point of giving up and wondering if it was personal. :down:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I don't think they're worth it. For a while I thought about it, but in the end it just seemed like a silly idea, and a ridiculous waste of money.

This says it quite well: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...mechanical-groupsets-better-electronic-225805

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I kept striking out last year to the point of giving up and wondering if it was personal. :down:

Oh, Stat...

You know what we are like. Crap at committing ourselves. Well I am, anyway. Most of my rides are not pre-arranged - and are a result of feeling guilty that I am not out on a ride.

And I CANNOT start before about 9.30 these days.

But we really must hit those roads together this summer. Get it done, SB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For what it's worth, I've heard great things about electronic shifting from those that have it.

But I can't help thinking you need to have everything else and the spare cash, before going down that route.

Have you seen this:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6870-di2-11-speed-groupset/

To me I'd rather spend £800 on wheels and keep the current groupset.
Obviously if you already have £800 wheels...

Also as I was saying to [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] the price of replacement components ought to come into it.
If you damage the rear derailleur on the above groupset, you're not going anywhere until you've forked out £150.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Go on Stat, give it one more go. Please, pretty please. Oh and I'm in the Pogue camp, happy to rock up about 9.30ish and try and hang on the back. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey some of the Italian club kits are proper shitehouse.

And if that's the calibre of lady Amador left behind in Costa Rica it's no wonder he's riding up an mountain in Italy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Team Stat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here