Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Disposable bottle cap, reasonable to remove. Your bus fare home, not reasonable to remove. I think you could have worked that out for yourself if you tried.

Nope, don't agree. The club is being very unreasonable. Decisions taken that don't affect anyone who has taken them, but affect greatly those of us who have safely drunk tea, water, coke for 50 odd years.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I queried this very rule at Wembley and was told that it was in case the ground had to be evacuated, they didn’t want capped bottles on the floor, where they could be a trip hazard, or people could step on them and damage their ankles/ legs, causing the swift evacuation of the stadium to be compromised. Yeah, I thought ,more likely to be so they can sell their vastly overpriced own products. I just told them I had a medical condition that meant I had to take tablets, and needed the water to take them, they let me take in my own capped water.

Blimey - that seems as dubious an explanation as Hennessey gave for his salute. I can well imagine a mountain of bottle tops getting in the way of an evacuation.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
At West Ham they had a fountain drink style cups with straw/plastic lid. If we're not allowed lids could we have these type of cups available?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If someone wanted to make a dangerous missile using items still permitted into the stadium, they could do so with ease.

This isn't about bottles being used as missiles. A bottle without a lid would be almost as an effective missile as one with one on.

This is about getting fans to spend more in the ground, let's not kid ourselves here.

Well it has back fired then, because I will not be buying anything now. Definitely not going to pay over the odds for a bottle of coke with no lid, that will either get knocked over or go flat before I finish it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At West Ham they had a fountain drink style cups with straw/plastic lid. If we're not allowed lids could we have these type of cups available?
That's a good suggestion. Drinking fountains around the concourse should be provided if bottle tops go.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's a one-off situation. This petty ban affects anyone with a bottle of water or pop every single game. I am just glad my boys are not little anymore, in the summer in the East, it's like a greenhouse and they'd have spilt their drinks, every time.

The club statements in both instances confirm their legal responsibilities. I am not aware of anyone banned for a pitch invasion, nor am I aware of anyone ejected for a bottle cap.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Imagine it is your job to ensure safety in the stadium, and you are legally responsible for taking any reasonable measures to safeguard everyone within it. The risk of someone luzzing a full bottle and that causing injury has been identified, if there is a reasonable way of reducing the risk, you have to take it. Remove caps from bottles and the risk is reduced, you have done your job. Then you are made aware that some people bring caps with them to get around your safety measures, if you do nothing with that information and someone gets hit with a full capped bottle, you are open to a few problems coming your way. If you had issued a statement as the club have, and instructed stewards to remove bottle caps if found, you are probably going to be ok.

But you have increased the slipping risk from wet floors where the drink that would have stayed in the bottle if knocked over now flows out. Thereby leaving yourself open to far more lawsuits from people who have slipped and injured themselves.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm waiting until they ban packets of maltesers ...then I will really get on a strop

You say that but have you ever been hit by a Malteser, the scars man the scars?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The club statements in both instances confirm their legal responsibilities. I am not aware of anyone banned for a pitch invasion, nor am I aware of anyone ejected for a bottle cap.

Several people have been banned for a pitch invasion. I'm not talking about celebrating promotion here.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
No, you will be allowed to take money in, but only onto the concourse. No money will be allowed to be taken to your seat, so as long as you spend it on the concourse you are fine, but if you haven't spent all your money before moving towards your seat, you will have to leave it on the concourse, where I'm sure it will still be at half time or full time.
Oh come on now keep up to date, we are required to throw our credit and debit cards on to the pitch, as long as they are “contactless “ then no harm will be done :O

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
FFS a bottle of diet coke is the only thing I buy while at a game, then drink it slowly during the match. Will not be doing that now if they remove the lid. They did that at the Swansea game last season, when we scored I jumped knocked the bottle over, landed on it and sprayed the poor feller in front with it's contents. Ducking stupid decision.

Water or fruit juice all over the concrete and seats making it slippery. I didn't know why until now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Scarves are what worry me, imagine being flicked in the eye by some fool swirling their scarf around their head just before kick off, bloody idiots!

D

Deleted member 2719

As a pie has been luzzed a player more recently than a bottle of drink why aren't pies banned ???

I am more worried about Bovril, that's going to burn your face off.

The worrying thing is those Bovril drinkers already have many previous convictions.

Nasty feckers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here