Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Boys can have periods say Brighton & Hove city council

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
...the thing about 'normal' is that it is a transient concept that differs throughout time and cultures. It also differs within cultures and between communities, families and even individuals.

That's a very true and sensible statement, and one I cannot argue with. However, sometimes 'normal' doesn't make total sense, just because it's... well... normal. It's perfectly 'normal' if you're a member of ISIS to throw a gay man off a tall building, remember.

Questioning 'normal' can also lead to positive change, even if it has to do a few loop-the-loops on the way. I think as a society we're just feeling our way in the dark at the moment with regards transgender, self-identity, gender fluidity, autism, ADHD (too often an excuse for just a little shit with weak parents) and all the other 'ism's' we've found labels for. We've swung the pendulum from too far one way (the old days) to too far the other way (now), and eventually it'll hopefully sit in the middle in the future, where rational and sensible thought takes hold...

My final thought is that if you put too bright a spotlight on a certain group you can inadvertently polarise opinion and potentially alienate them even more... ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Had to laugh at First Dates the other night, bloke dressed as a woman said "I'm just an ORDINARY guy..."

No, you're far from an 'ordinary guy', mate! If you like dating women, cross-dressed as a woman, that's fair enough. But don't go round pretending you're 'ordinary'. You are not, and this constant liberal agenda telling us to accept everything that's far from ordinary as normal is getting tiresome. It's ok to do whatever you want as long as legal and no harm to others. But I reserve the right to raise an eyebrow, Roger Moore style, when you're telling me this sort of thing is ordinary. Because it's not. Most blokes don't dress as women. FACT!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's a very true and sensible statement, and one I cannot argue with. However, sometimes 'normal' doesn't make total sense, just because it's... well... normal. It's perfectly 'normal' if you're a member of ISIS to throw a gay man off a tall building, remember.

I agree with you here and your statement makes perfect sense also. This is why using the idea of 'normal" as a judgement on people is massively flawed. As we seem to agree it is a transient concept with many many facets and is massively dependant on viewpoint, cultures beliefs etc etc etc.

Questioning 'normal' can also lead to positive change, even if it has to do a few loop-the-loops on the way. I think as a society we're just feeling our way in the dark at the moment with regards transgender, self-identity, gender fluidity, autism, ADHD (too often an excuse for just a little shit with weak parents) and all the other 'ism's' we've found labels for. We've swung the pendulum from too far one way (the old days) to too far the other way (now), and eventually it'll hopefully sit in the middle in the future, where rational and sensible thought takes hold...

I think that as a society we are constantly feeling our way with various different things. I gave the example of left handedness and epilepsy being misunderstood in my mothers school days. What I think you are describing here is us developing an understanding of a whole load of different stuff. I am thankful that as a society we are moving on from the old style Jerry Springer freak show "i used to be/want to be a man" . It is sometimes clumsy but we are moving in the right direction with this stuff. Dispite what the Murdoch press are trying to make people think - judging by this thread succeeding in some areas.

My final thought is that if you put too bright a spotlight on a certain group you can inadvertently polarise opinion and potentially alienate them even more... ???

I absolutely agree with this statement. Although I don't think that the process is inadvertent with a lot the agencies that are choosing to highlight the 'transgender agenda".

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Brilliant thread !!

Bollox = boy
Fanny = girl

n.b. i have met quite a few blokes in the mob that acted like they were 'time of the month' by showing some very strange behaviours (mainly Regulators).

reading this thread has made my week.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brilliant thread !!

Bollox = boy
Fanny = girl

n.b. i have met quite a few blokes in the mob that acted like they were 'time of the month' by showing some very strange behaviours (mainly Regulators).

reading this thread has made my week.

Sorry to the others, but that made me laugh out loud genuinely.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I am pretty sure that most primary school teachers can get their heads around the fact that women who have undergone the transition to being men will still have periods and therefore many need products and services associated with them.

I am really not sure why this is so tricky?

Assuming girls that identify as boys will be using the boys toilets, this is a pragmatic step.

Are boys who identify as girls allowed in the girls toilets? This is surely allowed, as this would be appropriately inclusive to trans persons of specified or non-specified gender identities - just wondering if the parents were consulted before this decision to allow trans students access to all/any/either toilet facilities? As a parent of a young girl I may have concerns regarding boys who identify as girls using the same toilets facilities as my daughter. I am not trans-phobic, but need to know what the proper safeguards are before this is allowed.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The boy/girl thing is surely irrelevant as far as toilets are concerned.

If they are going to redefine the male and female sexes, then they will also need to come up with a new definition for the traditional male and female genders. Maybe "Type X" (girls) and "Type Y" (boys). Because obviously sports will remain segregated based on old-fashioned gender, otherwise female sports become a farce. And if sports are to be segregated according to Type X and Type Y, being a physical activity,. the going to the toilet will surely also be segregated between Type X and Type Y - going to the toilet, after all, is not based on what's going on in the mind; it's what's going on in the body.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I saw a headline for this story yesterday but didn't read it or know anything about it.
Imagine my surprise when I saw it was Brighton and Hove city council :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here