Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] North Stand Scudmore Protest

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is about as misleading as a Brexit campaign poster. 'We have no say'...but only if we as a club choose to stay silent. Of course we have a say, we have a seat at the table of the organisation who employs Scudamore. We can speak out at any time on anything we choose to.

We are not talking about Scudamore's previously agreed huge pay and TV deal bonuses (£26million in total). We are talking as you know about the additional £5million exit payment, which is seen as greedy and grubby by most fans.

In this context, rubber-stamping is not speaking out strongly against it. Which, from the contents and tone of Paul Barber's initial response, was the last thing on his or the club's mind at the meeting. We could have if not stopped it, at least registered our strong reservations. We did neither.

To pretend we have no influence or no say currently is ludicrous. We went along with the additional payment without a fuss so as not to rock the boat. But the boat was rotten, and at odds with the principles usually espoused by this club. A lot of fans are very surprised about that, as I'm sure you have read.
Nonsense. But you carry on being OUTRAGED at an incorrect story in the press.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You're going to have to do better than a glib "Nonsense" when responding to an articulate well thought out post. Which bit in particular is nonsense, and why?

Peter Scudamore is employed by the Premier League to netgotiate broadcast and other deals with interested parties. He's done this very well for his employer. His employer wants to ensure that future deals are not compromised by other parties employing him and using his knowledge to reduce the price paid by broadcasters.

By giving him a three year period of non-competition it means, as far as clubs are concerned, that the 2022-25 deal won't be compromised. Scudamore's package also means that he cannot recruit PL staff for other parties during that period.

This type of thing is common practice is many indsutries, we might not like football being an industry, but the days of Bovril and rattles have long passed.

The wailing in relation to money could have been given to grass roots is emotive nonsense. The PL gives substantial sums to the Football Foundation and other causes. Ideally this money should have been added to monies from DCMS and the National Lottery, but instead it's partially replacing the huge sums that have been slashed from budgets.

The former have had their funding cut as a result of government spending cuts, on the back of the 2007 recession caused by the finance industry. No one is saying that the world of banking, finance and corporate law should be chipping in to support grass roots though. As for the cuts, it's 'the will of the people' as they voted for this government, just as they've voted for further reductions in government spending through Brexit. Those votes should be respected.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Peter Scudamore is employed by the Premier League to netgotiate broadcast and other deals with interested parties. He's done this very well for his employer. His employer wants to ensure that future deals are not compromised by other parties employing him and using his knowledge to reduce the price paid by broadcasters.

By giving him a three year period of non-competition it means, as far as clubs are concerned, that the 2022-25 deal won't be compromised. Scudamore's package also means that he cannot recruit PL staff for other parties during that period.

The wailing in relation to money could have been given to grass roots is emotive nonsense. The PL gives substantial sums to the Football Foundation and other causes. Ideally this money should have been added to monies from DCMS and the National Lottery, but instead it's partially replacing the huge sums that have been slashed from budgets.

The former have had their funding cut as a result of government spending cuts, on the back of the 2007 recession caused by the finance industry. No one is saying that the world of banking, finance and corporate law should be chipping in to support grass roots though. As for the cuts, it's 'the will of the people' as they voted for this government, just as they've voted for further reductions in government spending through Brexit. Those votes should be respected.

I don't disagree with any of that, but what you are doing here is explaining why it was done - all about protecting the club's television and commercial income. I get that.

However, it isn't a reply to [MENTION=47]Tooting Gull[/MENTION] 's point which was that our club really does actually have a say. It also doesn't really address the issue as to why ticket prices are so high.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't disagree with any of that, but what you are doing here is explaining why it was done - all about protecting the club's television and commercial income. I get that.

However, it isn't a reply to [MENTION=47]Tooting Gull[/MENTION] 's point which was that our club really does actually have a say. It also doesn't really address the issue as to why ticket prices are so high.

Fair enough.

Tony Bloom and Paul Barber believe the club’s future financial sustainability is best served by having Richard Scudamore still having a role at the PL. An effective cost of £83,000 a season was deemed reasonable and an extra sign of appreciation for what Scudamore has delivered in the past to clubs in the PL of Albion’s size.

As for ticket prices, they’re reasonable compared to our peer group, regionally and with the demographics of the area. If matches are sold out every week at present prices then there’s little logic in cutting them. If after 3-4 years of bumbling around the bottom of this division attendances fall then there’s a case for adjusting them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its also worth mentioning that Scudamore has been instrumental in maintaining a fairly even spread of broadcast monies to ALL the Premier League clubs, when the Big 6 have been lobbying for years for them to hoover up a greater slice of the pie. They obviously see themselves as the main attraction, particularly when selling rights overseas to the asian markets, for example.

Had he caved in to the demands, then the likes of BHA would not have received circa £110m for finishing in 15th place - United and City, by comparison, received £149m in TV money last season, so in terms of Sky money, we are at least still in the same ballpark as the top clubs.

The £5m golden handshake does leave a sour taste, but like it or not thats how businesses operate if someone is sucessful and brings in the dollar. Broadcast deals went up from £1.2bn to £5.1bn under his watch, and now we as a club are directly benefiting financially from that. So opposing a £5m payoff from a central PL fund, given the fact that BHA are rolling in it now in part thanks to Scudamore's business acumen, negotiation skills and control over the big clubs, would be a bit of a nonsense. If you join the gravy train, then you have to accept that the suits will get to dip their fingers in the stew.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...-explains-premier-league-deal-with-scudamore/

The Football Supporters’ Federation issued a statement condemning the golden handshake when fans are inconvenienced by fixture changes to fit TV schedules.

Before I start and in the interest of balance, having met Barber a few times I find him difficult to warm to - Of course he may have thought I was a complete dick as well. What drives me nuts about his comments though is this bit - “I doubt there’s a football club, organisation, participant, supporter or community in this country’s that hasn’t previously or isn’t currently benefitting in some way from the outstanding success of the Premier League or the significant revenues that success has generated. Richard Scudamore deserves huge credit for that.”

The implication that somehow premier league revenue growth is indisputably good for the game, that we all benefit?? Player benefit, officials and CEOs benefit but it's so much a fact then why are so many clubs experiencing massive financial difficulty? Why was there a banner at Brighton on Saturday, why have the FSF spoken out against the payout?

Talk about the contractual arrangements all you like but don't try and justify it by saying everyone has benefited from Scudamore, that's BS.

Oh, and stop being so bloody thin skinned.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Before I start and in the interest of balance, having met Barber a few times I find him difficult to warm to - Of course he may have thought I was a complete dick as well. What drives me nuts about his comments though is this bit - “I doubt there’s a football club, organisation, participant, supporter or community in this country’s that hasn’t previously or isn’t currently benefitting in some way from the outstanding success of the Premier League or the significant revenues that success has generated. Richard Scudamore deserves huge credit for that.”

The implication that somehow premier league revenue growth is indisputably good for the game, that we all benefit?? Player benefit, officials and CEOs benefit but it's so much a fact then why are so many clubs experiencing massive financial difficulty? Why was there a banner at Brighton on Saturday, why have the FSF spoken out against the payout?

Talk about the contractual arrangements all you like but don't try and justify it by saying everyone has benefited from Scudamore, that's BS.

Oh, and stop being so bloody thin skinned.

I agree with all of this Mikey. There’s plenty on here going on about the amount of money coming into the premier league under Scudamore’s watch. I’d like to see the stats for the amount of money leaving the game, either in payments to players, agents, CEO’s etc.

This is money which could have been spent on facilities for ordinary kids to play football. It could have been spent on evening up the competition between divisions so that the clubs we used to play less than 10 years ago are no longer operating in a different financial universe. But that’s not the point of the Premier League project is it. I still love the Albion, but I feel a bit dirty for paying my money to support this gross elitism.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...-explains-premier-league-deal-with-scudamore/

The Football Supporters’ Federation issued a statement condemning the golden handshake when fans are inconvenienced by fixture changes to fit TV schedules.

The comments section on that article make an interesting read!

There is no surprise in a multi-millionaire justifying the payments of millions to another multi-millionaire not to do anything for three years though is there? There is no surprise that a multi-millionaire would want to censor any criticism of the payment of millions to another multi-millionaire for not doing anything for three years is there?

They aren't going to be interested in the level of poverty in this country, the paucity of money being invested in grass root sporting facilities for kids, ticket prices forcing out many traditional football fans, small clubs experiencing serious and significant financial hardships (and it wasn't so long ago we were teetering on the brink let's not forget)

It is what our beautiful game has become. Sad innit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The comments section on that article make an interesting read!

There is no surprise in a multi-millionaire justifying the payments of millions to another multi-millionaire not to do anything for three years though is there? There is no surprise that a multi-millionaire would want to censor any criticism of the payment of millions to another multi-millionaire for not doing anything for three years is there?

They aren't going to be interested in the level of poverty in this country, the paucity of money being invested in grass root sporting facilities for kids, ticket prices forcing out many traditional football fans, small clubs experiencing serious and significant financial hardships (and it wasn't so long ago we were teetering on the brink let's not forget)

It is what our beautiful game has become. Sad innit.

The Premier League isn't responsible for the reduction in grassroots funding from central and local government though. It's just a conventient scapegoat.

I give the PL and Scudamore a lot of stick, (39th game, kick off time rescheduling) but on this one people are angry because of the story leaked to the press (by a club owner who likes populism and knew exactly what he was doing) to stir up a reaction.

Scudamore has done a decent job for clubs in the PL the size of the Albion, as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] has already stated. Part of the reason he's going is he's fed up with the petty arguments and bully boy behaviour of some clubs in the Premier League.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Premier League isn't responsible for the reduction in grassroots funding from central and local government though. It's just a conventient scapegoat.

I give the PL and Scudamore a lot of stick, (39th game, kick off time rescheduling) but on this one people are angry because of the story leaked to the press (by a club owner who likes populism and knew exactly what he was doing) to stir up a reaction.

Scudamore has done a decent job for clubs in the PL the size of the Albion, as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] has already stated. Part of the reason he's going is he's fed up with the petty arguments and bully boy behaviour of some clubs in the Premier League.

Although I gently disagree with you about Albion s/t prices (for the low paid etc), I haven’t got a problem with Scudamore. He’s brilliant in his role, with charm and I’d say charisma, he’s maximised the global reach of the PL and revenues for clubs like the Albion. The PL give away colossal sums, completely voluntarily, to whole host of beneficiaries. Digressing, similarly I think Paul Barber’s done a brilliant job for the Albion, the club has moved forward professionally in every aspect since he joined. It’s common knowledge that other clubs or organisations would love to poach PB. The vitriol aimed in particular direction, ignoring the fact that he’s just one member of the executive board, is hilarious.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I agree with all of this Mikey. There’s plenty on here going on about the amount of money coming into the premier league under Scudamore’s watch. I’d like to see the stats for the amount of money leaving the game, either in payments to players, agents, CEO’s etc.

This is money which could have been spent on facilities for ordinary kids to play football. It could have been spent on evening up the competition between divisions so that the clubs we used to play less than 10 years ago are no longer operating in a different financial universe. But that’s not the point of the Premier League project is it. I still love the Albion, but I feel a bit dirty for paying my money to support this gross elitism.

Of course you do! I suspect that some of the new fans that PL clubs are gleefully hoovering up now will not have the same sort of connection that you do. Those interested in the 'businessication' of the game today are not concerned by that though, they'll just move on to the next golden goose.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I get the rationale in defending the pay off to Scudamore, but I’m beginning to feel too that the football industry is becoming a bit like the financial services sector. Similarities include an abundance of hubris, a detachment from reality and a great big trough in which they all feel entitled to stick in their snouts regardless of individual contribution and / or disproportionate to the value created. Applies to the PFA too.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-tip-resentment-premier-league-gordon-taylor

Paul Barber getting a bit of stick in this article, for defending Scudamore.

When Marina Hyde takes aim, whether you are Boris Johnson or Paul Barber, she hits the target every time. Absolutely spot on, as is Attila, who has weighed in on this one on Twitter tonight. I am disappointed if not very surprised that Barber would use his various platforms to defend this, although he is way out of kilter with the views of the majority of not just Albion fans, but fans nationwide. What is more surprising is that there are fans on here willing to do his dirty work for him, and who have fallen for his latest PR epistle.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When Marina Hyde takes aim, whether you are Boris Johnson or Paul Barber, she hits the target every time. Absolutely spot on, as is Attila, who has weighed in on this one on Twitter tonight. I am disappointed if not very surprised that Barber would use his various platforms to defend this, although he is way out of kilter with the views of the majority of not just Albion fans, but fans nationwide. What is more surprising is that there are fans on here willing to do his dirty work for him, and who have fallen for his latest PR epistle.

Indeed. I liked this particular bit...

For last Saturday’s game against Leicester at the Amex, Brighton & Hove Albion’s chief executive, Paul Barber, wrote a veritable essay about it in his programme notes, in which his sighs at the misrepresentation of the £5m payment are almost audible.
“This is an entirely normal contractual agreement for very senior and highly sought after executives,” huffs Barber of the Scudamore golden handshake, in comments reproduced in the Brighton Argus, “and it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders – including our club!”

Paul? Take your jaunty little exclamation mark and do one, there’s a good chap.

Ouch.

Well, I'm glad it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders. Because it hasn't been designed to protect the interests of future supporters. My two children - both under 10 - wanted to come to their first Albion game next month. When I went to buy the tickets for ONE game for the 3 of us, the total came to just under £150. No way am I paying that, so we're off to another game somewhere else. Admittedly, not Premier League, but we'll have a great day and I won't go home feeling like I've just been mugged by a bunch of multi-millionaires - all in the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders, naturally.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Christ. Glad I didn't buy a programme to read THAT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here