Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fred Dibnah - Steeplejack

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
I went to a Night with Fred Dibnah, show in Eastbourne a couple of years before he died, where he was telling all sorts of stories about his life. It was brilliantly funny, but before the show my mate and I went to the bar and Fred was seating there having a pint just talking to people and signing autographs, he was a genuine every day bloke a true working class Brit with a passion for engineering.
I also remember just before the chimney stacks etc were to fall once the fires had cracked the structures, he would use a big car horn to warn people it was going to fall, amazing stuff.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I've just bloody lost two hours of my Sunday leaping about watching various things on Youtube.

Dig with Dibnah is particularly interesting as Fred and pals build and dig a 6m deep fully replica coal mine complete with brick lined shaft and pit head. In his back garden. Brilliant.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I don't think he was a bricklayer by trade,but I've seen some of his brickwork and he certainly laid a fine brick

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I also remember just before the chimney stacks etc were to fall once the fires had cracked the structures, he would use a big car horn to warn people it was going to fall, amazing stuff.

He pioneered the art of notching out bricks at the bases of high chimneys, propping with timber as he went. The notches were on the side of where the chimney was to fall (obviously).
He then set fire to the props and ran the feck away. I think he messed up once and tripped but luckily the chimney didn't fall as expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here