Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NASA releases a 4.3GB image that shows a small portion of the Andromeda Galaxy!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Religious people should take a look at this and question their sanity. Or maybe God did throw rocks over his shoulder or Adam bonked Eve.

Edit. Apologies for derailing thread.

Could you just clarify? Was He getting his rocks off WHILE they were shagging or was this a separate instance?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
We are not alone. We can't be.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Whenever you look up it just gets mind-boggling at the numbers and scale of things, fantastic.

Oh, and religionists are nutters, amen.

Worth visiting Herstmonceux observatory on one of their open evenings. My brain starts to hurt when they explain the inconceivable largeness of the whole thing and how tiny we are. Perhaps their is a parallell world out there where Smith DOES get his second goal?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Worth visiting Herstmonceux observatory on one of their open evenings. My brain starts to hurt when they explain the inconceivable largeness of the whole thing and how tiny we are. Perhaps their is a parallell world out there where Smith DOES get his second goal?

In a Multiverse scenario (or an in an infinite Universe scenario) then yes, this DID happen. There is even a universe where Gus had a Plan B. Not sure yet if there is (in this infinite existence) a parallel universe where Hyypia managed more than 3 league wins...

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Reminds me of Brian (things can only get better) cox saying there's more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on planet earth!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

That could easily be true, because with my luck I'd certainly have ended up on the wrong world ! :smile:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
You look at the massiveness of the Universe, and then you look at the soil beneath our feet that harbours microbes that have today resulted in scientists discovering 25 new antibiotics, including one that is described as a 'game changer'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30657486

It's all mind-boggling to be honest

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I find the distance to this neighbouring Galaxy alone mind boggling. 1 light year is approx 10 trillion KM in distance. This galaxy is 2.5 Million light years away. Astounding.

When you then consider the universe as a whole it is almost to large to even comprehend.

Anyone who thinks we are the only intelligent life form within something so vast and expansive, is frankly a little bit simple IMO

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ok, so dredging up my degree courses, as I recall the Andromeda Galaxy, being the largest member of our Local Group of galaxies, is about twice as big as the Milky Way, and we are due to merge at some point in the far future (10 billion years?). The average density of stars in the Milky Way is actually not as large as you'd think - the best analogy I've heard is it's equivalent of half a dozen tennis balls (representing stars) scattered across North America. However, the density does increase towards the galactic centre, so typical separations would be in the order of tens of AU's (1AU = distance between the Earth and the Sun), but this would be very close to the central supermassive black hole (at the heart of nearly every galaxy). Globular clusters (groups of old stars that orbit larger galaxies, typically around 100k of them or so) can also attain this sort of density, However, most galaxies are quite "thin", so in the aforementioned merger, it is unlikely that any star would "crash" into another, the galaxies would just merge over a period of a few hundreds of millions of years.

I do remember reading about the merger once on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda–Milky_Way_collision

Should any stars actually hit one another that would be stellar collision right?

It's absolutely fascinating stuff, thank-you for taking the time to explain it all.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
It really is a massive world out there, and I simply cannot see us being the only planet with life on it. When you see all those other moons, planets, suns, asteroids, chunks of rock, ect, there must be someone or something else out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here