Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Belgium bombing - An interesting perspective

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not all of it, it sounded very much like the bible to me....

This was my take on it too. From what i have seen though there seem to be a number of translations which differ greatly in tone.

Same as any written text that goes through translation and interpretation, you can choose to read it any way you like.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Typical lefty bollocks from the Labour Party daily news sheet!
As usual, more interested in the reaction of people's feelings towards the actions of 'Muslim' terrorists that might possibly offend Muslims!!!
As per the norm trying to take some 'right on' liberal moral high ground that anyone who dares react angrily to terrorists like this are now doing exactly what they wanted to achieve, and dare anyone have anything remotely bad to say about Muslims because if you do you are a 'Racist'!
What a load of shit!!!!

So which points did you disagree with in the article?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I thought it was a good article too. As already alluded to, this bit about how we dealt with the IRA terror threat makes the most sense to me :

During the more dangerous and consistent IRA bombing campaigns of the 1970s and 1980s, Labour and Conservative governments insisted on treating terrorism as criminal, not political. They relied on the police and security services to guard against a threat that could never be eliminated, only diminished. On the whole it worked, and without undue harm to civil liberties.

In the face of these murderous, suicidal lunatics it's easy to think we have nothing that can hurt them. Surely the very best thing (only thing) we can rely on is intelligence, not just using our heads but countries sharing intelligence and cooperating. Like the politicians of the worlds are going to do that but after 9/11 there was a short time when there seemed to be a coming together of various former foes with a genuine will to work together. Didn't last long until the bombs came out though and now we have ISIS.
It's pretty worrying to know that these latest nutjobs were well known to the authorities. I don't know the full story but it makes me wonder if intelligence is being shared properly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because journalists often write opinion suited to their target audience, is that difficult to understand?

But journalists have their audience because of the opinions they have. I don't think they bend them to suit whichever readers they have that day.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Because journalists often write opinion suited to their target audience, is that difficult to understand?

It isn't at all difficult to understand as the very broadest of generalisations.

What is difficult to understand is why you should present your opinion as a fact when you know the reality is that the monosyllabic, inflammatory, pappy dross served up by hacks in the "popular press" to feed the prejudices and phobias of the unthinking is a complete world away from those informed articles written by articulate, intelligent, conviction journalists to whom prostituting their services would be anathema?

As [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] has alluded, your alignment with the extremists on this thread does you no credit.

Middle Earth eh?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I thought it was a good article too. As already alluded to, this bit about how we dealt with the IRA terror threat makes the most sense to me :

During the more dangerous and consistent IRA bombing campaigns of the 1970s and 1980s, Labour and Conservative governments insisted on treating terrorism as criminal, not political. They relied on the police and security services to guard against a threat that could never be eliminated, only diminished. On the whole it worked, and without undue harm to civil liberties.

Imho it is a terrible mistake to compare ISIS with the IRA. It is also futile to turn this into another right v left, blue v red, United v City political yawn. The Islamists hold all western culture in complete contempt. Measured calm articles from the Guardian are not going to solve anything.

D

Deleted member 22389

Imho it is a terrible mistake to compare ISIS with the IRA. It is also futile to turn this into another right v left, blue v red, United v City political yawn. The Islamists hold all western culture in complete contempt. Measured calm articles from the Guardian are not going to solve anything.

Thumbs up from me on your post.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So which points did you disagree with in the article?

There's a lot I disagree with, albeit some points made are fair.

Firstly though, the scariest thing about Brussels is absolutely not our reaction to it, this is utter nonsense.

The scariest thing about Brussels is that we all know another attack will happen in time. When it does politicians and columnists like Jenkins will react like they do every time there's been an attack and wheel out the standard old lines about keeping calm and carrying on.

These are the very same people of course, who will tell us to accept mass migration from the Middle East, a policy that undoubtedly increase the immediate risks of a terror attack and (as we see see often) will sew the seeds of a terror attack in the subsequent generation that grows up here.

Jenkin's casual relativism that we need to accept there are multiple deaths every day in Syria and Iraq is also disingenuous. If we do need to shrug off the deaths of people in Europe arising from terror attacks as c'est la vie, then columnists at the Guardian should also stop pissing their pants about the scores people dying when recklessly attempt to cross the Med. 6 year old children die in St Ormonds and Children's hospitals here every day, so why should we give a flying f@ck about one washed up dead on a Greek beach.

In short, many people can see through insipid relativism and whataboutery...........they want action. For all the relativism about IRA attacks, every now and then the UK killed IRA terrorists. We knew we were fighting back.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It isn't at all difficult to understand as the very broadest of generalisations.

What is difficult to understand is why you should present your opinion as a fact when you know the reality is that the monosyllabic, inflammatory, pappy dross served up by hacks in the "popular press" to feed the prejudices and phobias of the unthinking is a complete world away from those informed articles written by articulate, intelligent, conviction journalists to whom prostituting their services would be anathema?As [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] has alluded, your alignment with the extremists on this thread does you no credit.

Middle Earth eh?

I have always found it odd that leftie/liberals can be so snooty. You see it repeatedly on here. Then with such an extreme statement, you take someone like JC to task, who writes eminent sense, as allying with extremism . .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Typical lefty bollocks from the Labour Party daily news sheet!
As usual, more interested in the reaction of people's feelings towards the actions of 'Muslim' terrorists that might possibly offend Muslims!!!
As per the norm trying to take some 'right on' liberal moral high ground that anyone who dares react angrily to terrorists like this are now doing exactly what they wanted to achieve, and dare anyone have anything remotely bad to say about Muslims because if you do you are a 'Racist'!
What a load of shit!!!!
Exactly , a load of bollocks , what happens now is someone frowns at a woman in a burqa and Iqbal Sacranie will be whining about Islamaphobia.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I have always found it odd that leftie/liberals can be so snooty. You see it repeatedly on here. Then with such an extreme statement, you take someone like JC to task, who writes eminent sense, as allying with extremism . .

You think he writes eminent sense simply because it panders to your prejudices!

If you think that challenging an ill-judged statement using observation and logic is being snooty then you just carry on old sport.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I agree, they are completely different beasts, but how do we minimise casualties caused by utter lunatics? Fighting talk and even fighting makes no sense to me whatsoever. We just continuously play in to their hands IMHO.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was a lovely sunny day yesterday ..best of the year to date on the south coast.

PS Don't forget the clock go forward ..one hour less sleep ..boo

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I agree, they are completely different beasts, but how do we minimise casualties caused by utter lunatics? Fighting talk and even fighting makes no sense to me whatsoever. We just continuously play in to their hands IMHO.
As you said in your last paragraph, which I generally agreed with, intelligence.
We mustn't underestimate the threat of militant Islamists. In the past westerners ( including me ) thought you could resolve it by dealing with Palestinian/ Israeli issues. That is complete folly as proved by what is happening in Yemen, northern Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya and Somalia.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Reluctantly I do. My experience of it, working as a teacher, was that it stirred up trouble. For instance, the Jewish community were presented as totally observant. The secular element of British Jews was ignored which was ridiculous for someone who'd grown up in B&H. Other religious minorities were treated similarly.
Treated how..... I can't visualise what you mean.. how were the other religions treated.. was the lesson delivered in context to the demographics of the class population?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here