Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Did my 3rd and 4th marathons this spring, but a calf tear has put paid to anymore in the autumn. Just building back up slowly and carefully for the new year and number 5!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Completed numbers 5 (Cyprus) and 6 (Brighton) so far this year.

Booked up these
16/12 The Saxons, Vikings and Normans “Usual Suspects” Challenge 6 hours timed event near Dover - so hope to achieve 7 laps so will be an ultra marathon (30.8miles)
15/4 Brighton
22/4 London (Yippeee - in via the Ballot)
27/5 Edinburgh

Think I have lost my marbles!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Booked up these
16/12 The Saxons, Vikings and Normans “Usual Suspects” Challenge 6 hours timed event near Dover - so hope to achieve 7 laps so will be an ultra marathon (30.8miles)
15/4 Brighton
27/5 Edinburgh

Brilliant. So, when you did your first marathon you told me categorically you would never do another. And now you have racked up 6 and are tackling a 30 miler. Superb work Sir :lolol:

And well done on getting in London, you’ll love it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will be running Stockholm in early June and if I get accepted into Berlin I’m gonna use Stockholm as training and go all out on a crack at a sub-3. Feels fitting as I’ll turn 50 inbetween.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Booked up these
15/4 Brighton
27/5 Edinburgh

Where abouts (and when) was the one in Cyprus? I'm interested to run something in Cyprus but feel the heat might prohibit a full marathon..

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Where abouts (and when) was the one in Cyprus? I'm interested to run something in Cyprus but feel the heat might prohibit a full marathon..

http://www.limassolmarathon.com/

I did the Limassol one. A great day as they have a 10k and a HM the same day. It was in March and the weather was good, warm but not as hot as the Brighton marathon in April! It is pretty much all along the seafront so you also get a breeze.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Brilliant. So, when you did your first marathon you told me categorically you would never do another. And now you have racked up 6 and are tackling a 30 miler. Superb work Sir :lolol:

And well done on getting in London, you’ll love it.

After the experiance of my first marathon I had to take 2 years off, was not really fit enough to have attempted it. Took 5.46 and was painful, no idea how I got round. I then set a target of sub 5 hours as I got back into running, missed that in numbers 2 & 3 so had to keep going, then there is always the next one to get another PB. Very addictive. Got my PB down to 4.28 so next aim is 4.20 (10 minute miles) and then I would love to drop just under 4 hours. Who knows! As for the Ultra, well that is a mates fault as they are doing there 100th marathon that day and I was easily talked into it! ooops!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Plus it is a very early start!!!

Forgot about the 7am start! If you do it and you need to get a bus to the start leave very very early as the transport a little chaotic! They put on special buses but they fill up very quickly and if you are on route a lot whizz by as already full. Also very few do the marathon, think it was about 400 this year compared to about 10,000 for the HM and 10ks! I was a little concerned a the start as we where seperated into a small pen at the front! People from all round the world running it and I ran a fair distance with a lad from Brazil and three lads from London. It was probably the friendliest marathon I have done.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I am doing this marathon.

I have marathon 130 this Friday, another in Kent on Tuesday, one along the Thames on 4 November - then Velothon = 133

Bloody hell; awesome. I think I must be at just about the opposite end of the spectrum having run for 30+ years and this will only be my third. How guys like you can churn these things out without being permanently crippled is beyond me. Have you got a target time? I'd be delighted with a sub 4 but it's looking a tad unlikely as I'm only scraping 9.30 mms in 21 miles. I'll be one of the older gits so you could say hi as you lap me for the 45th time! Good luck on your other ones. Should the Preston Park one be the quickest?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After the experiance of my first marathon I had to take 2 years off, was not really fit enough to have attempted it. Took 5.46 and was painful, no idea how I got round. I then set a target of sub 5 hours as I got back into running, missed that in numbers 2 & 3 so had to keep going, then there is always the next one to get another PB. Very addictive. Got my PB down to 4.28 so next aim is 4.20 (10 minute miles) and then I would love to drop just under 4 hours. Who knows! As for the Ultra, well that is a mates fault as they are doing there 100th marathon that day and I was easily talked into it! ooops!

Meh! That's nothing –*I had 10 years between first and second marathons! Number 12 on Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am doing this marathon.

I have marathon 130 this Friday, another in Kent on Tuesday, one along the Thames on 4 November - then Velothon = 133

Bloody hell; awesome. I think I must be at just about the opposite end of the spectrum having run for 30+ years and this will only be my third. How guys like you can churn these things out without being permanently crippled is beyond me. Have you got a target time? I'd be delighted with a sub 4 but it's looking a tad unlikely as I'm only scraping 9.30 mms in 21 miles. I'll be one of the older gits so you could say hi as you lap me for the 45th time! Good luck on your other ones. Should the Preston Park one be the quickest?

I'll be there as well, so starting to look like a decent NSC turnout. Maybe those not running it but planning on a parkrun that day could do PP instead and come along and hurl abuse for bit ?

This is another of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s brother's creations. I went down to watch the last Velothon a couple of years ago. I've never, ever seen such a miserable, depressed bunch of runners gloomily plodding along in the pouring rain (and bear in mind I often help out on 50/100 mile events). Should be great fun ???

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
My young lad, who lives in Oz, ran the Melbourne Marathon 9 day’s ago. It was his first and he targeted 3:20. He ran with the 3:20 pace runner in a small group all the way. That was, until entering into the tunnel into the MCG with 350 metres to go, he collapsed. No warning, just straight down onto the tarmac. Two unknown Aussies in the 3:20 pace group, themselves utterly exhausted, instinctively hauled him up off the ground, and dragged him Jonny Brownlee style around the final 350 metre loop. In so doing, these two guys lost out on their 3:20 target, all finishing in 3:21:40. What an amazing sacrifice by these two guys. I have spent a whole week tracking them down from 11,000 miles away through social media, as my young lad could remember very little. I’m pleased to say I have found both of them, and in 6 weeks time I am flying to Oz to thank each of them personally, for saving my son, for getting him over the line, and for putting another runner before the aspiration they had been preparing for over 6 months. My young lad is fine now, he was in the paramedic tent for 90 minutes post race, and they worked some speedy miracles on him. Restores your faith in humanity.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My young lad, who lives in Oz, ran the Melbourne Marathon 9 day’s ago. It was his first and he targeted 3:20. He ran with the 3:20 pace runner in a small group all the way. That was, until entering into the tunnel into the MCG with 350 metres to go, he collapsed. No warning, just straight down onto the tarmac. Two unknown Aussies in the 3:20 pace group, themselves utterly exhausted, instinctively hauled him up off the ground, and dragged him Jonny Brownlee style around the final 350 metre loop. In so doing, these two guys lost out on their 3:20 target, all finishing in 3:21:40. What an amazing sacrifice by these two guys. I have spent a whole week tracking them down from 11,000 miles away through social media, as my young lad could remember very little. I’m pleased to say I have found both of them, and in 6 weeks time I am flying to Oz to thank each of them personally, for saving my son, for getting him over the line, and for putting another runner before the aspiration they had been preparing for over 6 months. My young lad is fine now, he was in the paramedic tent for 90 minutes post race, and they worked some speedy miracles on him. Restores your faith in humanity.

Brilliant story; thanks for sharing. I almost hope we don't do them 5-0 in the Ashes now!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll be there as well, so starting to look like a decent NSC turnout. Maybe those not running it but planning on a parkrun that day could do PP instead and come along and hurl abuse for bit ?

This is another of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s brother's creations. I went down to watch the last Velothon a couple of years ago. I've never, ever seen such a miserable, depressed bunch of runners gloomily plodding along in the pouring rain (and bear in mind I often help out on 50/100 mile events). Should be great fun ???

Yes, I was thinking that there'd be quite a few parkrunners in the vicinity. Most of them will think we've taken leave of our senses. And they'd be right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fantastic...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A lovely story.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I've never, ever seen such a miserable, depressed bunch of runners gloomily plodding along in the pouring rain (and bear in mind I often help out on 50/100 mile events). Should be great fun ???

Haha have seen the early Sunday morning of a 24hr track race?! That velothon race was positively joyful compared to some of the half dead souls shuffling around the track

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here