Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always ride 23s, but I get the feeling I'm a little out of date and should swap to 25s. It seems all the research shows 25 is quicker, but 23 or 25 is probably not a deal breaker.

The key issue is how easy it would be for my wife to get the tyre off and on if she needs to swap a tube. The priorities are:
1) Ease of removal
2) Puncture resistance
3) Roll well

Budget isn't too much of an issue as I always seem to find tyres in sales, but probably wouldn't go above £70 for a pair.
Just when you thought we were sad, check this site out:-

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Road tubeless? Oh crikey, that's a whole new dimension to think about.

I'm actually thinking of moving from tubeless. My mtb has run tubeless for a few years and it's more of a pain to set up than a standard tube, but it has saved a tonne of punctures. However, tyre tech has moved on massively in the last few years and I now know people who run tubes on the mtb and virtually never get flats.

I suspect the roadie thing is all about weight weenie stuff, rather than trying to avoid a 15 minute stop.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I'm actually thinking of moving from tubeless. My mtb has run tubeless for a few years and it's more of a pain to set up than a standard tube, but it has saved a tonne of punctures. However, tyre tech has moved on massively in the last few years and I now know people who run tubes on the mtb and virtually never get flats.

I suspect the roadie thing is all about weight weenie stuff, rather than trying to avoid a 15 minute stop.
Lower rolling, fewer punctures are the advantage. A bit more faff to set up, I think, and you need the right rims. Weight similar overall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As I'm sure you know, the things beginning with P that you're talking about, are best avoid by keeping the tyres properly inflated.

We always tell newbies the second thing they need to buy is a decent track pump with gauge.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Awesome geekery! Tubeless is the future!

The future is here! I've been running tubeless on my mountain bikes for years and even racing DH in the UK and in Europe and I've never had a puncture. A few times I've 'burped' out some air but it's never resulted in a DNF. If it's good enough for DH/Enduro it'll do on the street.

I'm thinking about swapping the wheels on my Willier Izoard, still running the ones that came with it but they're slightly tacoed now and don't seem to true, I'll be researching a proper tubeless setup for my road bike.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Geeks, what do you do about cramp?

I've got my first sportive this weekend - only 50k, but we all have to start somewhere. Anyway, on my training rides, I usually get cramp in my left calf - always after 15k - 25k and it always happens when I unclip and put my leg on the ground (for example at traffic lights or a junction).

Can I manage it by diet? Perhaps more salt? Or should I do some proper stretches before riding?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

I've got my first sportive this weekend - only 50k, but we all have to start somewhere. Anyway, on my training rides, I usually get cramp in my left calf - always after 15k - 25k and it always happens when I unclip and put my leg on the ground (for example at traffic lights or a junction).

Can I manage it by diet? Perhaps more salt? Or should I do some proper stretches before riding?

Luckily I've never suffered from cramp. But just googled it.

Flushing the Cramp
If the cramp is severe, you'll probably want to jump off your bike and stretch the muscle. However, according to physical therapist and cyclist Lulu Weschler, you can flush out the calf cramp while cycling. With calf cramps, the muscle usually seizes up when the toes point downward too long. So push your heel back on the pedal so that the toes point up. Sit on the saddle and use your other leg to do most of the pedal work, with the cramping leg only exerting power through the four o'clock to six o-clock positions. This can help relieve cramps in the calf muscle while bicycling.

Prevention
If you're not drinking enough water both before and during your cycle ride, you could make calf cramps more likely. Bring water with you while you ride so you can stay hydrated throughout. Because cramping may also be related to an imbalance in your body's salt level, drinking a sports drink containing electrolytes might also help. If you're riding in very hot and humid conditions, boost the sodium levels of your meals slightly a few days before the ride -- a couple of sprinkles of sea salt will do. Stretching your muscles before cycling can also help prevent cramping.

Might be worth trying.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was speaking to a sports scientist the other day about this. Although cramp is often associated with lack of hydration and minerals, it's actually not as easy as that and some people are just more susceptible than others. I don't think pre-stretching would have any impact on cramp, but is always good to loosen up.

I wouldn't go looking for more salt - there is already plenty in our diet as it is, but hydration is important 24 hrs before a longish ride, and eating some good carbs and proteins. On a ride you should be drinking regularly (a mineral isotonic drink is ideal) and eating at least every 30mins.

Something I read recently too about always keep pedalling, its a mantra with the pro's but even if you're not putting any power into the crank, keep the pedals turning and try not to free wheel as you stop getting rid of the lactic acid, this can cause muscles to tighten up.

At only 15 to 25k in I'd suggest your pre-ride preparation is what you'd need to look at and getting the fluids in well before you ride.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was speaking to a sports scientist the other day about this. Although cramp is often associated with lack of hydration and minerals, it's actually not as easy as that and some people are just more susceptible than others. I don't think pre-stretching would have any impact on cramp, but is always good to loosen up.

I wouldn't go looking for more salt - there is already plenty in our diet as it is, but hydration is important 24 hrs before a longish ride, and eating some good carbs and proteins. On a ride you should be drinking regularly (a mineral isotonic drink is ideal) and eating at least every 30mins.

Something I read recently too about always keep pedalling, its a mantra with the pro's but even if you're not putting any power into the crank, keep the pedals turning and try not to free wheel as you stop getting rid of the lactic acid, this can cause muscles to tighten up.

At only 15 to 25k in I'd suggest your pre-ride preparation is what you'd need to look at and getting the fluids in well before you ride.
It's mostly not a salt issue and static stretching before exercise has now been shown to be detrimental.

If it's that quick it may be position related - could be saddle height (pointing toes down to compensate for saddle to high) or cleat position but would need looking at to tell.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

Oh, hang on, I recognise this one. For each of the last 6 years I've ridden over 4,000 miles and that cramp at the traffic lights can build up. For me it's caused by leaving a tired leg over-stretched and the toe pointing down for too long. The answer is easy: slide my bum off the saddle so I'm standing flat footed until ready to set off again. I also do a couple of calf stretches from time to time when I'm pedalling if I feel it is tightening.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh, hang on, I recognise this one. For each of the last 6 years I've ridden over 4,000 miles and that cramp at the traffic lights can build up. For me it's caused by leaving a tired leg over-stretched and the toe pointing down for too long. The answer is easy: slide my bum off the saddle so I'm standing flat footed until ready to set off again. I also do a couple of calf stretches from time to time when I'm pedalling if I feel it is tightening.

Actually come to think of it I generally always get off the saddle when I know I'm going to be stationary for more than a few seconds. Not sure why I didn't say that before. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nevertheless, even with all this sound advice, I'll still say drink more.
By virtue of the fact 'we' don't drink enough anyway.
Add that to the fact you're a big fella [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION] you need to be drinking little and often having gone out on a 'full tank of fuel'.

Although god knows why anyone would take advise from me, after what I've just done.

I just popped out for a 10 mile TT.
Coming back into the village, traffic was backing up at a dodgy T-junction.
As I approached a fella had stopped the traffic because one of my colleagues had been knocked off his bike and was lying prone in the road.
Luckily for me (I do know I've written that!!) there was just enough room to blast through all the available gaps, and log a decent time.
I was worried I might have to bunny hop him. :nono: :dunce: :down:

In my defence, another colleague was already there and one of his best mate colleagues was approaching (I had to swerve to miss him too)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks for the advice all - I'll look at hydration - last night I definitely didn't have enough liquid in me - I had been sat in meetings all day with nothing to drink except tea.

I'll look at the other suggestions too - especially cleat position, I do think I need to move them a little anyway.

Thanks all.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Anyone else been watching the Pearl Izumi Tour Series on ITV4? I've been watching it, and am just sat down catching up with the Canary Wharf criterium from last week.

I know One Pro cycling are new, and I was impressed with them thus far, but think they lacked class at Canary Wharf. Basically a Madison Genesis rider was involved in a crash. As Madison Genesis are the team competition leaders, they sent all their riders back in a desperate attempt to help their rider get back to the Peloton.

Meanwhile, One Pro Cycling (the second place team in the overall competition) all move to the front of the peloton and team time trial to stop Madison Genesis having a chance of catching up. I though sportsmanship was a big thing in cycling - allowing competetors with mechanicals or caught in others' crashes to catch up, so they can be beaten fair and square.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the advice all - I'll look at hydration - last night I definitely didn't have enough liquid in me - I had been sat in meetings all day with nothing to drink except tea.

I'll look at the other suggestions too - especially cleat position, I do think I need to move them a little anyway.

Thanks all.

I've been a fellow cramp sufferer. Hamstrings when playing football too much after a long time away. Quads on the bike when pushing it and doing a lot of climbing out of the saddle.

To pick up on other points already made:

We definitely eat too much salt in our diet. It would do no harm to think Rasta and go Ital, not add more of the bloody stuff!

Static exercises before sporting activity generally isn't a good idea. Best to stretch cold muscles with dynamic stretches.

Hydration really is key, not only on the ride but in the 24 hours before hand. Tea or coffee drinking doesn't count unfortunately.

Bike set up could be a factor too, but don't finance the current breed of money for old rope brigade and pay a fortune for a 'professional bike set up'. Tweak things yourself until you find what feels best for you.

What I've found has worked best for me, aside from better hydration, is popping one of those electrolyte tabs in my water bottles http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-electrolyte-drink-20-tabs/. I'm not into gels or any other supplement type things, but since I've been using these tabs the cramps have gone :)

Another thing I think that's really helped though, on long rides at least, is that I sometimes get off the bike about halfway round just for a few minutes and do that stretch on each leg where I bring my heel right up to my buttock to stretch the quads out. I never miss the opportunity to do this stretch on any pee break as well. I'm not up to trying this stretch whilst riding like the pros do, but you could do your toe up stretches for your calves no problems whilst on the bike.

Good luck, because cramps are a bugger and can really spoil the enjoyment of riding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you order 1066's recommended tablets from Wiggle, that I also use.

Might I also suggest you pick up a case of http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-protein-recovery-9-x-60g-sachets/?sku=5360562247
I can be easily convinced they are just a snake oil placebo, but they 'work' for me after particularly tough rides.
If nothing else, at that price, they work out cheaper than Frijj's

Re the tablets when I'm going out for a proper 2 bidoner, 60+ hard miles, I've got into the habit of having one tablet in bidon one, and 2 tablets in the other bidon.
I imagine that's fairly common sense but it didn't occur to me till quite recently.
On 'normal' weather day I only take water for sub 30 mile rides, and one bottle one tablet for the rides in between.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I guess the absence of any replies SB ain't encouraging you to buy that trendy bike? If you want winter use, can it take decent mudguards?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess the absence of any replies SB ain't encouraging you to buy that trendy bike? If you want winter use, can it take decent mudguards?
Yeah the article makes them sound like ideal winter hacks, that cover commuting, and light off-road.
I'll be getting a hack anyway, through cycle 2 work, and as said had convinced myself it would be a cyclocross bike.
I can't ride another winter on my pride and joy as I'll ruin it.

The other problem is the article says the range is a close relation to a Canyon Endurace, which is what I was hoping to update my Summer bike with.
That in turn has me thinking I could update my Summer bike with a 'balls out' racer, but that does rather smack of short-termism for a rider like me.

Oh decisions decisions, all this I'll end up with a second hand Carrera.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here