Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you believe the Earth is flat?

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Yes, I firmly believe the Earth is flat

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • I'm unsure, but the Earth could be flat

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • I believe The Earth is absolutely NOT flat

Votes: 229 84.5%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Science 'allows' for small adjustments but not paradigmatic ones -

yeah, except when Newton tossed out concept of pure light, luminiferous aether was disgarded by relativity, or quantum mechanics discredited pretty much everything we thought we understood about matter and the universe. fact is you dont know much about science, so dont think it exists. to bad, because the computer you use it built upon science, not magic woo.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yes I agree, the argument would then be that science is also faith based. Heresy is bad faith. 'Evidence', 'findings' 'proof' are ultimately always tied to subjective value judgements. If truth is that which mirrors reality - the debate then becomes circular. Conceding that point would be a victory for flat earthers, especially if they thought Biblical accounts are inerrant. Maintaining an alternative conclusion would only serve to validate the claim that proponents of 'science' fundamentally misunderstand the nature of truth ergo science is false.

No it doesnt. Faith is believing in something with no valid proof, proof would make it fact which doesn’t go down well with a great many religious types. Science uses the laws of physics and mathematics as proof. If we find out a proof is actually false based upon new learning it gets binned.The ability to ‘watch’ particles at an atomic level consigned hall libraries to the bin as theories were wiped out overnight. Belief would not allow this approach. The argument is only circular if you happen to be the competition to the village idiot I mentioned earlier.

Flat earthers will never change there views regardless of how much proof is provided, scientist do.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A lot of people believe Christopher Columbus set around the world to prove it was round. We knew as far back as 600 BC that the world was round. Ancient greek knowledge was passed down and anyone intelligent in Columbus's time would've known it was round.
I thought he set off to find a quicker way to India but bumped into the Caribbean islands instead? I'm shit at history mind. Incidentally I was in Cuba recently and went to the beach where Columbus landed.

Was really interesting (and beautiful) but it left a bit of a sour taste when you thought about the fact that not long after, nearly all the indigenous people had been killed or enslaved by the Spanish as they merrily used the island for stealing stuff, growing stuff and transporting slaves.

It might actually have been better if he'd fallen off the edge of the (flat) world, but alas, it was round.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
'yeah, except when Newton tossed out concept of pure light, luminiferous aether was disgarded by relativity, or quantum mechanics discredited pretty much everything we thought we understood about matter and the universe. fact is you dont know much about science, so dont think it exists. to bad, because the computer you use it built upon science, not magic woo'

For a flat Earther they would describe these changes as small adjustments, or adjustments made in order to appear that science is objective

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
No it doesnt. Faith is believing in something with no valid proof, proof would make it fact which doesn’t go down well with a great many religious types. Science uses the laws of physics and mathematics as proof. If we find out a proof is actually false based upon new learning it gets binned.The ability to ‘watch’ particles at an atomic level consigned hall libraries to the bin as theories were wiped out overnight. Belief would not allow this approach. The argument is only circular if you happen to be the competition to the village idiot I mentioned earlier.

Flat earthers will never change there views regardless of how much proof is provided, scientist do.

'Science uses the laws of physics and mathematics as proof'

That is the problem as these laws are 'invented' - the truth is defined by those who define truth, that is the circular reasoning (for a flat earther)

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
'Science uses the laws of physics and mathematics as proof'

That is the problem as these laws are 'invented' - the truth is defined by those who define truth, that is the circular reasoning (for a flat earther)

This proof makes their tv work, the reason why the can fly in a plane, the reason why there house doesn’t fall down so no , not invented. It’s just an excuse for being an idiot which you seem to be very fond of.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's an assumption taught by science, you would need to prove that falsification (and verification) are pathways to truth, since we can neither verify or falsify that verification and falsification are the best or only pathways to truth (no empirical evidence) then it's demonstrable that the argument is self contradictory. This approach dismantles itself.

Science is faith based, the flat earth is an inconvenient truth (These are not my views)

That, if you don't mind my saying so, is false. There seems to be an inherent futility in discussing anything with someone who thinks science is a belief system. The reason I think the team I support is BHA is based on an experiment I have been undertaking since 1968, which involves the elaboration of reiterative observations made at football matches, from reading nespapers, watching TV and chatting with people in real life and on NSC. You can tell me the team I have been following all these years is actually Crystal Palace, if you wish, but you would need to provide me with some evidence for me to take you seriously. I am not saying that I am wrong and you are right. I'm saying let's compare evidence.

The evidence for and against my hypothesis can then be tested. That is how science works - by reasoned argument. It really isn't a belief system.

I can add that all of the things that I use in life such as my car, aeroplanes, even the electric sockets in my house, are underpinned by science. It is science that says that shoving my hand in the blender will harm me. I don't need to test this using my fingers - the effect on fruit and veg is sufficient. If you think otherwise, you are most welcome to pop round and demonstrate the foolishness of my deductions by shoving your hand into the whirring machine and emerging unscathed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'yeah, except when Newton tossed out concept of pure light, luminiferous aether was disgarded by relativity, or quantum mechanics discredited pretty much everything we thought we understood about matter and the universe. fact is you dont know much about science, so dont think it exists. to bad, because the computer you use it built upon science, not magic woo'

For a flat Earther they would describe these changes as small adjustments, or adjustments made in order to appear that science is objective

Why does it matter what a flat earther would say? It has no more value that what a bushman of the Kalahari might say. Are you going to marshall your thoughts at some point and stop simpy gainsaying people?

Anyway, I'm sure you just playing at being contrary. I'm out. Any more sigh-inducing claptrap and I'll add you to my blocked list.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

probably since they are ignorant, uneducated and free to make up any old illogical nonsense in their head.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When you landed, did a ref come over and award you a penalty?

If not, it probably wasn't Croydon or anywhere near there.

Yes, he did, actually. I was wearing a palace shirt with a number 11 on the back. Could that have had something to do with it?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I'm sure like every other sensible poster on here, they know the world is actually square, its been proven time after time, anyone and I mean ANYONE is utterly mad if they think the world is either flat or even round!!!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Seriously though, why don't they zoom in from the ISS and show us planes flying upside down? I want to see that.

because if the ISS is in a p[osition to see them, then it is "upside down" so they would appear the right way up, in the same way that if you in Australia everything appears the right way up!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Discussed this with an ex tornado pilot a while back. When I asked him about flatearthers he simply replied ‘c**ts’. This from a man not known for using profanity!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here