Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite part of London ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So much rubbish being spouted on this thread!!! I've lived in London the last 15 years and have worked around the city the last 10 or so.

I can assure you there are very few original cockneys in shoreditch !!!! It's pretty all hipsters, media wankers and cuthberts who have their own tech start up darling. As someone else has rightly said it turns into a hell hole at the weekends now because all the Essex trash (who ironically probably are related to "original cockneys") come in....

All this dewy eyed bollocks about the east end as well !!! The east end as you once knew it is dead, EastEnders is a lie!!!. Most people on this thread wouldnt be able to live more than about a week in most places in the " east end". Take a tube to Whitechapel, when you get out you are not confronted by football factory, Danny dyer "heros" it looks more like Syria , a horrible smelly market with a load of people wandering around in Burka's!!!

All that aside. For me London is the best city in the world. Incredible architecture, food, an amazing melting pot of cultures. You meet so many amazing people and learn so much every single day. Im biased because I live in west London but I love Notting hill, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Marylebone, Mayfair. So many brilliant places.

Marylebone's an interesting one. I tend to stay there when I'm visiting. The only reason originally was it's proximity to the Heathrow Express. But, I have now discovered it, and it's a really nice little area of the city. I spent 6 years living close-ish by in Camden and never ever went there. Has it always been like this or is it a recent thing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So much rubbish being spouted on this thread!!! I've lived in London the last 15 years and have worked around the city the last 10 or so.

I can assure you there are very few original cockneys in shoreditch !!!! It's pretty all hipsters, media wankers and cuthberts who have their own tech start up darling. As someone else has rightly said it turns into a hell hole at the weekends now because all the Essex trash (who ironically probably are related to "original cockneys") come in....

All this dewy eyed bollocks about the east end as well !!! The east end as you once knew it is dead, EastEnders is a lie!!!. Most people on this thread wouldnt be able to live more than about a week in most places in the " east end". Take a tube to Whitechapel, when you get out you are not confronted by football factory, Danny dyer "heros" it looks more like Syria , a horrible smelly market with a load of people wandering around in Burka's!!!

All that aside. For me London is the best city in the world. Incredible architecture, food, an amazing melting pot of cultures. You meet so many amazing people and learn so much every single day. Im biased because I live in west London but I love Notting hill, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Marylebone, Mayfair. So many brilliant places.

Make your mind up :lolol:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
This: Craven Cottage, in added time in the last home game of last season when Ross McCormack scored a sublime goal to beat Middlesbrough 3-2 and save our useless season from being totally dire, followed by this:
1983: Le Beat Route or
1977: The Marquee watching the Damned or any number of other punk bands.

Pistol Knight

Apr 7, 2014
Marylebone's an interesting one. I tend to stay there when I'm visiting. The only reason originally was it's proximity to the Heathrow Express. But, I have now discovered it, and it's a really nice little area of the city. I spent 6 years living close-ish by in Camden and never ever went there. Has it always been like this or is it a recent thing?

Recent thing, nice area with the Firehouse (Celeb fav haunt atm) but too pseudo posh for my liking

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The fastest way out of it.
Loathe the place. Although to be fair I have never lived there.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I particularly enjoy the river. It gives such a great perspective of the city - and the new generation of river buses make it so accessible these days. From Brentford and Kew along to Greenwich and the Thames Barrier there is so much diversity, history and architecture, plus many options to disembark with plenty of pubs and restaurants to choose from. The view from the river is constantly changing but if you get bored for a moment then just look at the opposite embankment or skyline. Plus the river is a great conduit itself and if you are not pushed for time then it is a pretty relaxing way of getting across London - of course it helps if you are heading west / east or vice versa.........

The river is also a civilised way to get to Griffin Park or Craven Cottage.

I have many favourite places and keen to keep them peaceful.

So for wider benefit I really recommend that the rest of you check out Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, the M&M store, that wanky bar on Gresham Street, Canary Wharf tube station. I could go on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
BensGrandad is attempting to be sarcastic i think, after being corrected on the term "east end".

lets talk geographical facts. "East end" is geographically the East End of London, which historically went as far east as the river Lea. so anything east of that isn't properly "East End", its east London. no doubt many in that area identify as East Enders, but end of day that's like saying you are Brightonian when living in Portslade - its sort of right, its sort of the same place but not strictly. Stratford is wanna-be East End, its in east London, but not the East End.

you dont have this nonsence in the West end, with those from Chelsea or Hammersmith calling themselves west enders.

Your point on Brightonian living in Portslade, I'm a Brightonian and I live in Newhaven. I was born in Brighton, grew up there and lived there most of my life.
If a Scouser leaves Liverpool to live in Brighton he is still a Scouser.

Sorry I'm not picking holes in your post it's just one of my pet hates, I'm proud to be a Brightonian.

Dandyman

In London village.
Call me small minded but burka culture is not something I have the slightest bit of interest in !!

More likely to see Burkas in Mayfair (Gulf Arabs) than Whitechapel (British Bengalis).

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I worked for a year in Chiswick. Cycled in every day from Tooting, most of my journey by the side of the Thames. The job wasn't great but the journey to and from work was the best ever.

Like it around Barnes Bridge; seen some good jazz in the Bulls Head

Yep it's a good 'un all right. Live right be there on the river and no sunset or sunrise is the same. Makes such a difference after a crappy day at work to help me unwind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure about pseudo posh it just is posh !! You have to be minted to live there now.

You have to be minted to live anywhere in zone 1 these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is the wrong answer.

I guess we need someone to arbitrate here. If only there was an NSC authority on LONDON to provide us with the definitive answer eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here