Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG on his way then....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Er, hello? Has anyone considered that, being in the Sun, this is quite probably BULLSHIT?

Let's criticise the club if it actually happens eh?
Although you talk sense, I say we go mental at the club now, just in case they're thinking of selling him, and there's still a chance to stop it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would be a pity for him to go when we're finally getting some value out of him, but i would rather hope it means we have some cash in the bank to splash out on someone of a higher standard whose family are happy enough with life on the bepebbled south coast.

The problem is footballers up north can live in a nice house which only costs £300k but if they were to move to Brighton an equivalent property would be well over a million.

Goldstone Green

Jan 19, 2015
Can't agree that Best won't be a patch on COG. Best, if fit, has a bit of class about for this division. Strong, decent touch, pace and knows where the goal is.

COG has done ok for us, but if a player is unsettled and determined for a move then keeping him against his will is a waste of time. Let him go and ce la vie I'm afraid, although I agree it was a bad signing by the club considering how wedded to the North he appears to be.

COG will be a Blade by the end of the window, but for much more than the fee quoted in the Sun, the fee, and contract has been in place for a week. :nono:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
COG has done ok for us, but if a player is unsettled and determined for a move then keeping him against his will is a waste of time.
He was unsettled because the manager didn't want him. We now have a manager that does want him, and it's working. If he really wants to go, then playing for another 4 months before a move of his choice is not a lot to ask. He is under contract, and we'd be paying his wages if he was injured. But I don't see why he'd want to go, now that he's getting game time and doing well.

The problem is footballers up north can live in a nice house which only costs £300k but if they were to move to Brighton an equivalent property would be well over a million.
A player on his wages can easily afford a place for £1m.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I thought his family are struggling to settle down here? It's all well and good saying he should stay but having seen that recent interview he looked pretty lost down here. He's made a mistake chasing the money down here and we have made a mistake in not playing to his strengths.

I think he made his mind to go back North a while back so it will be difficult to see that change.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think I will wait until the club say something rather than react to some journalist at that despicable red top.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
COG has done ok for us, but if a player is unsettled and determined for a move then keeping him against his will is a waste of time. Let him go and ce la vie I'm afraid, although I agree it was a bad signing by the club considering how wedded to the North he appears to be.

this, no point keeping an unhappy player no matter how good they are, you just wont get the full performance out of them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was unsettled because the manager didn't want him. We now have a manager that does want him, and it's working. If he really wants to go, then playing for another 4 months before a move of his choice is not a lot to ask. He is under contract, and we'd be paying his wages if he was injured. But I don't see why he'd want to go, now that he's getting game time and doing well.

A player on his wages can easily afford a place for £1m.

It's not a new phenomenon for players to prefer a certain area of the country and feel unsettled elsewhere. Someone even posted on here that their Yorkshire friend was very surprised by COG's move to us as he knew he wouldn't settle in the South. I think you'll find family is what's crucial here and playing time now and feeling wanted in the team won't address any of that anymore. In light of all that it does now seem like an odd signing by the club in the first place.

Let him go, wish him well, learn from the mistake and hopefully get a better replacement in (I believe we already have anyway in Best, but we still need another striker to address a general weakness in our striker options). As I say, ce la vie, you can't win them all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not a new phenomenon for players to prefer a certain area of the country and feel unsettled elsewhere.
It's not a new phenomenon for a player to want to leave and for a club to say no, you're needed here. At least 'no yet'.

Let him go, wish him well, learn from the mistake
Bollox to that, we need him now, for the rest of this season. His life with his family will be long, the next few months is nothing. Treat him well, get him in the team, and if he still wants to leave in the Summer let him, if the fee is right. I think he's worth more than £500k based on the way he's played since sami left, so I don't see why we should sell him for less.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
this, no point keeping an unhappy player no matter how good they are, you just wont get the full performance out of them.

Blimey are you saying he's only going on 2 cylinders now?

It's all NSC conjecture based on putting 2 and 2 together ... where has anyone seen him say " I don't like it in the South so I want to go back North"?

Seen several things saying he's unsettled but that's way different .. reckon much of this has been spun out to appear much worse than it is by the Drama Queens

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's not a new phenomenon for a player to want to leave and for a club to say no, you're needed here. At least 'no yet'.

Bollox to that, we need him now, for the rest of this season. His life with his family will be long, the next few months is nothing. Treat him well, get him in the team, and if he still wants to leave in the Summer let him, if the fee is right. I think he's worth more than £500k based on the way he's played since sami left, so I don't see why we should sell him for less.

I've no idea what the fee will be so no point going down that road really.

I stand by it being a complete waste of time keeping a player against his will. You won't get the best out of him, and worse case scenario is that unhappiness starts to rub off onto team mates. Yes, he's playing well now, but ever thought that that might be because he's now relaxed knowing a move that will settle his life back down is on the cards? Plus of course he's finally getting a run in the team.

Here's an interesting story I heard about man management today regarding Bournemouth and Eddie Howe. All the time the team is winning he's on them, training hard and driving home the need not to be complacent. When they lose, rather than throw tea cups around he does the complete opposite - puts his arm around them and has a laugh so no one's confidence takes a hit and they keep moving on. Seems to be working. My point?....unhappy players are no good to anyone.

Everyone makes mistakes, no point being stubborn and digging a deeper hole. Time to move on and learn from it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He needs to stay, that was a proper centre forwards performance...... Albion Mom for me.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Comes into his best form but looks likely to leave ... must admit was one of his detractors but now totally on his side

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I stand by it being a complete waste of time keeping a player against his will. You won't get the best out of him, and worse case scenario is that unhappiness starts to rub off onto team mates.
There are plenty of examples of top teams holding on to their players even when they want out, and they're normally proved right to do so. If the player wants out, they just need to keep playing well and their move will come.

Yes, he's playing well now, but ever thought that that might be because he's now relaxed knowing a move that will settle his life back down is on the cards? Plus of course he's finally getting a run in the team.
Yes he's getting a run in the team, and the manager has showed faith in him, so that's probably why he's doing well.

Here's an interesting story I heard about man management today regarding Bournemouth and Eddie Howe. All the time the team is winning he's on them, training hard and driving home the need not to be complacent. When they lose, rather than throw tea cups around he does the complete opposite - puts his arm around them and has a laugh so no one's confidence takes a hit and they keep moving on. Seems to be working.
That's not unusual. Sven used to be like that with the England players.

My point?....unhappy players are no good to anyone.
A good player that wants to get a movet is better than no player. He's currently our best striker, and we're desperate for strikers, so to let him go without a proven replacement would be stupid. Asking him to stay for another few months is hardly a hardship for him, and we are paying him very well.

Everyone makes mistakes, no point being stubborn and digging a deeper hole. Time to move on and learn from it.[/QUOTE]

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Does not sound like he going the way he speaking after the game.... O'GRADY'S Arsenal reaction on Youtube

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Listening to Warren on the way home and it appears we are deep in the process of bringing in a top rated striker, one who will be better than the COG apparently, if we can get it over the line ? if we do he goes in Warrens words if not he stays, that's how i heard it, did anyone else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here