Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray as legendary as Zamora and Ward - Elphick

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Just listened to this week's Albion Unlimited podcast and found Tommy Elphick's interview really interesting. He heaps a lot of praise onto Gus Poyet for transforming the Albion into a professional club. What I found even more enlightening was his comparison of Glenn Murray with Bobby Zamora and Peter Ward. I never regard Muzza in the same category as those two striking legends, but Elphick's words have really made me think and I'm starting to agree with him. Muzza fired us from League One to the Championship and then came back to fire us into the Premier League. In some ways, he's done more than Zamora as he's taken us into the country's top division.

Is Muzza as legendary as Zamo and Ward? Does his Palace spell rule him out? Or is it too early to say?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just listened to this week's Albion Unlimited podcast and found Tommy Elphick's interview really interesting. He heaps a lot of praise onto Gus Poyet for transforming the Albion into a professional club. What I found even more enlightening was his comparison of Glenn Murray with Bobby Zamora and Peter Ward. I never regard Muzza in the same category as those two striking legends, but Elphick's words have really made me think and I'm starting to agree with him. Muzza fired us from League One to the Championship and then came back to fire us into the Premier League. In some ways, he's done more than Zamora as he's taken us into the country's top division.

Is Muzza as legendary as Zamo and Ward? Does his Palace spell rule him out? Or is it too early to say?

Put like that - and as odd as it sounded when I first read it - there is a case there I think.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If he does the biz this season and it keeps us up, definitely YES. Forget the Palace thing, it was the clubs fault not his

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Murray is a fine player for us, but not for me as 'legendary' as the other two - and that's a completely subjective feeling - I can't produce any facts or arguments for it. Maybe in years to come, when I'm an (even older) man I may look back favourably on the Murray years and reminisce about them in the same way as with BZ and Wardy, but I'm just not quite there yet.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not all about number of goals scored . Murray has been great for club but no comparisonas as far as entertainment is concerned to Ward or Zamora. Ward a one off. Win or lose there was always something he did that got you of seat and would talk about for days. In fact I can still remember many of his goals. Zamora was a better Murray. Zamora scored goals that I dont think Murray would have done. Even on his return can remember him scoring after we broke after defending a corner and he ran length of pitch to finish move.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Zamora maybe, Wardy never, or at least until he scores a hat trick that keeps us up/relegates Palace/wins silverware or qualifies us for Europe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Muzza fired us from League One to the Championship and then came back to fire us into the Premier League.
What, on his own?

In some ways, he's done more than Zamora as he's taken us into the country's top division.
Zamora was a shining star in an otherwise average side. He also loves Brighton and has never played for Palace.

As things stand, no he's not. He'd have to go some this season for that to change.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
What, on his own?

Zamora was a shining star in an otherwise average side. He also loves Brighton and has never played for Palace.

As things stand, no he's not. He'd have to go some this season for that to change.

For me, that is what's holding him back. I can't ever imagine Wardy or Zamora signing for Palace.. yet Glenn did. Grateful we have him, and a top player for us, but legendary? Not yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me, that is what's holding him back. I can't ever imagine Wardy or Zamora signing for Palace.. yet Glenn did.
Indeed. And I don't blame him for it, it was more the club's fault than his, but whose fault it is doesn't matter, the fact is he went to Palace and scored against us.

Murray isn't even the biggest legend in the current squad. Zamora was a legend before he asked the club to come back and try and get us promoted.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think he will be - but not yet as he hasn't finished playing. I do find it a bit odd that he doesn't already have the same status as Zamora as he has arguably achieved more for the club.

It can't just be the Palace thing - I attach no blame to him for that at all and is anyone really saying that in the right circumstances Ward or Zamora wouldn't have gone there? There's always a rose-tinted spectacle thing about this as nostalgia tends to kick in as well.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Has he been as important to the Albion as Wardy and Bobby? The answer to that is a very definite yes - all three players have made vital contributions in two different promotion seasons.

Is he legendary? I think this is down to personality, charisma, whatever you want to call it. All three are/were both great goal scorers and scorers of great goals. Somehow, though Bobby Z and Wardy exuded star quality on and off the pitch, whereas Muzza, in my view, doesn't. Add to that the fact that Bobby Z and Wardy take every opportunity to come back to the club and I think that explains why Muzza doesn't quite attain the legendary status his goals merit.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not for me. For me, the only one in the current squad that comes close to legend status is Bruno. A couple of others have potential, and Murray is one of them, but he's not there yet.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Until Murray scores 36 goals in a season, you should not speak of him in the same terms as Peter Ward.
It is not just finishing either.. it is technique. When Wardy had the ball at his feet , dancing through the defenders it was poetry in motion ... mesmerising like the Harlem Globetrotters used to be in basketball....
Those were the days........

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
These things are entirely subjective.

I like Murray, he's a nice bloke.
I like how he loves Brighton and stayed living here even when he left the club.
I like that he didn't celebrate when he scored against us.
I like how he winds up opposition players.
I like his no nonsense style as a player.
I like that he's scored important goals for us.
I like the fact that he's played more games and scored more goals for us than any other club
I like how he's painfully shy off the pitch but is in peoples faces on it.
I like the story about when players have to sing in front of each other at dinner when they join, he sang "let it go" from Frozen as it was the only song he knew all of the words to.

Do those things make him a legend?

Dunno

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here