Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Model railway enthusiasts

Feb 28, 2009
Hi,

I have had a oo gauge layout in my loft for many years, as my eye sight gets worse, I decided to start O gauge.

This was a good idea for me, and I recomend it.

Best wishes,

Paul

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've permission to build an 8 x 4 00 gauge model railway in the shed. It'll be cladded out to stop any condensation and have decent security.

Anyone else partake? Any local clubs worth joining or shops worth visiting?

Always wanted to do this but starting completely from scratch as a total novice.

Any tips or pointers appreciated.

I also have a grandson on the way so have an excuse.

I think there's some sort of model railway enthusiasts meet up at London Road Station

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I've permission to build an 8 x 4 00 gauge model railway in the shed. It'll be cladded out to stop any condensation and have decent security.

Anyone else partake? Any local clubs worth joining or shops worth visiting?

Always wanted to do this but starting completely from scratch as a total novice.

Any tips or pointers appreciated.

I also have a grandson on the way so have an excuse.

I'm assuming the first train you'll purchase is an InterCity one, Jevs?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have a large quantity of 'OO' guage, mostly unused, which I wish to dispose of as I never ever found space to create a decent permanent layout.

PM me if you are interested.

Ooooooh!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Guagemaster by Ford station is a great shop with really friendly and helpful staff.

If looking online in addition to Gaugemaster, Hattons are good.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm in the middle of putting together a small N gauge layout, primarily for my nephew but also for myself a bit.

I echo the comments about Gaugemaster - it's about 20 mins from me (a short hop over the Downs) and i could easily spend hundreds in there. Very helpful and knowledgable staff too.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg
This what I call a railway set for boys

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have something to admit. I opened this thread and found it quite interesting. I started looking at the links and a couple of hours later, after reading and watching a lot of YouTube stuff and being totally sucked in I had to stop myself from watching a "Model railway weathering techniques" demonstration. What the **** has happened to me?

I lived overseas as a Kid and my parents got me Marklin ......made in Germany., real quality stuff, metal or aluminium construction.

We moved back to the UK when I was 9 and when I shuffled off down the local toy shop I was introduced to the plastic stuff that was Hornby. Then there was that cheap Italian crap called Lima .....It was all shoved in a box, then in my 20's I was left a massive layout from an in law who pegged it and that went into a box..

When my lad was born in the 90's I dug it all out a couple of years later and built a monumental railway for him in the loft using all of this stuff .....it was about the time the Playstation 1 came out, we got him one for Christmas. That was the end of the railway, it never got a look in and all went on ebay a few years back.

I'm kind of tempted to give it another go but it would have to be Marklin.

Wasn't Marklin the one that was a bit odd and still had centre stud contact for electric pick up? Just asking for a friend :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_2555.JPG

A few years ago I got back into making model stuff and if you want to take it one step further than building and painting a car/ship/ military vehicles, weathering is essential. I made this a while ago and weathered it.

I have something to admit. I opened this thread and found it quite interesting. I started looking at the links and a couple of hours later, after reading and watching a lot of YouTube stuff and being totally sucked in I had to stop myself from watching a "Model railway weathering techniques" demonstration. What the **** has happened to me?

Attachments

• IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 105

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

You've turned in to Jevs!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I just don't really get it? Does the enjoyment come from building the thing? I can't see how watching a model train go round and round a fake village interesting. I'm not going to sit here, judge and call you all weirdos, I just find it a little bizarre.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont understand who you had to get permission from. Very sad if it was the wife

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I just don't really get it? Does the enjoyment come from building the thing? I can't see how watching a model train go round and round a fake village interesting. I'm not going to sit here, judge and call you all weirdos, I just find it a little bizarre.

have you no imagination!!!!!!!!!!!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

Yeah most of the enjoyment is building the scenery, wiring up the street lamps, putting the roads in etc although i love the steam trains from the war era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here