Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A simple idea that could save cyclists from getting injured

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The 91% of car drivers who use their phone while driving could save cyclists from getting injured

Well I'm in the 9% I'm glad to know. You can't concentrate on a crossword if you are on your phone.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two sausages, 2 bacon( crispy) , black pudding, 2 potato cakes, spoon of baked beans. Eggs: 1 fried, 1 poached. Coleslaw (controversial but absolutely necessary). And two slices of Holy Ghost (on a separate plate with real butter).
Is that right? Oh and yes, woman who eat crisps in an office should wash up their cups and shit in the first trap. Unless they have big tits, then they can do whatever they want. Unless they're fat. Then they should move to Poland.
Poyet OUT.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Cyclists, cyclists everywhere.
Go out in your car at weekends and there are mini pelletons round every corner. Racing through narrow country lanes at breakneck speed.
Its the new jogging and I'm sick of it. They are a menace. They block the way ahead. You are blinded.
This madness has to stop. Unshapely bodies poured into lycra and tight female bottoms distracting motorists. The police need to intervene. Its out of control.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
As a motorist I assume everyone on the road - no matter how many wheels they're using - is a moron and adjust accordingly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cyclists, cyclists everywhere.
Go out in your car at weekends and there are mini pelletons round every corner. Racing through narrow country lanes at breakneck speed.
Its the new jogging and I'm sick of it. They are a menace. They block the way ahead. You are blinded.
This madness has to stop. Unshapely bodies poured into lycra and tight female bottoms distracting motorists. The police need to intervene. Its out of control.

What's a pelleton?

I was once doing a sportive with my mate Phil.
It was early in the mixed ability event, so we were overtaking plenty of riders.
Phil was riding in front of me hammering down a decent straight road when inexplicably he knocked the pace right back.

I'm sat on his wheel wondering why the hell we were now dawdling a good 10mph slower.
Finally Phil moved to overtake and there in front was a tight female bottom poured into a well worn, nearly see through, pair of lycra shorts.

The filthy creep.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just obey the traffic lights, and stop going the wrong way up one way streets, ok?

And pay your road tax. Why isn't there a straight pride?

No such thing as "road tax". It's vehicle excise duty, and not all vehicles have to pay it (if your exhaust emissions are clean enough, you don't pay (eg my Prius company car has a £0 VED); the government changed this earlier this year so only vehicles with 0 emissions are exempt in future, though). Given that cycles have no exhaust emissions (unless you've eaten too many baked beans and eggs), they don't pay VED.

I think its a duffer.

Most car owners seem to care more for their motor than anything else, so if they don't think that their door might be ripped off by a another vehicle why would they think about a cyclist?

Moving the handle back so it can't be reached by the right hand without twisting well out of position would be a better way of forcing it, but that ain't gonna happen.

For the Dutch, they get indoctrinated from very early life. I'll be teaching my little boy to use the dutch reach once he's old enough to be getting in and out by himself. As a parent, it's the right thing to do - it not only protects others (cyclists and motorcyclists, of which I am one) but also protects my kid long term.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No such thing as "road tax". It's vehicle excise duty, and not all vehicles have to pay it (if your exhaust emissions are clean enough, you don't pay (eg my Prius company car has a £0 VED); the government changed this earlier this year so only vehicles with 0 emissions are exempt in future, though). Given that cycles have no exhaust emissions (unless you've eaten too many baked beans and eggs), they don't pay VED.

I know. I was not being entirely serious. I am very much from the cycling fraternity.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The 91% of car drivers who use their phone while driving could save cyclists from getting injured
Where did you get that figure from? [emoji1]

I think we all know that a far greater % of cyclists than motorists break the rules of the road.

I've actually started praising cyclists who wait behind the white line at traffic lights!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think we all know that a far greater % of cyclists than motorists break the rules of the road.

I've actually started praising cyclists who wait behind the white line at traffic lights!

The same place this came from:-

Or the 90% odd of them who dont use lights could try using them!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Utter rubbish.

Perhaps I should start congratulating the drivers who don't pull up in the advanced cyclist's box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Utter rubbish.

Perhaps I should start congratulating the drivers who don't pull up in the advanced cyclist's box.

I'll start congratulating some drivers for having a less than 40 inch waist.

#babysteps.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Utter rubbish.

Yes, there is an ignorance for this line from some drivers.

However, weaving through a junction because you don't want to wait at the lights with everyone else, or cycling along the pavement, is a lot more dangerous than a car waiting at the (admittedly wrong) stop line.

You may well obey all the rules of the road, as do I on the rare occasions I cycle, but a large proportion of cyclists don't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

However, weaving through a junction because you don't want to wait at the lights with everyone else, or cycling along the pavement, is a lot more dangerous than a car waiting at the (admittedly wrong) stop line.

You may well obey all the rules of the road, as do I on the rare occasions I cycle, but a large proportion of cyclists don't.

That is very true.
Those 3000+ people from 2007-15 from England and Wales who died throwing themselves under law abiding cars, only have themselves to blame.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

No, you notice the cyclists that don't. Most are sensible.

For safety it is often common sense for cyclists to wait ahead of the traffic at traffic lights - it's why advanced cycle boxes exist. Where they don't, it can be prudent to wait ahead of the white line.

We have 20mph speed limits throughout many built up areas these days. What percentage of drivers do you think stick to these?

And mobile phones...

There are at least as many bad drivers as there are cyclists. The obvious point is that the drivers are in a large object than can kill people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here