Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three into two don't go

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Exactly where I'm at. Newcastle are up and I think Norwich will shade it over us.

But hell, look at the leagues:

Championship, noble clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, QPR, Wolves, Derby, Preston, Birmingham

Premiership, W*tford, B**rnemouth, St**e, Middlesb*****gh, H*ll, S****hampton, Sunder***d, S***sea and C****** ******, what a hideous shitpack.

Maybe not such a bad outcome to stay here...

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Exactly where I'm at. Newcastle are up and I think Norwich will shade it over us.

Championship, noble clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Wednesday, QPR, Wolves, Derby, Preston, Birmingham

Premiership, W*tford, B**rnemouth, St**e, Middlesb*****gh, H*ll, S****hampton, Sunder***d, S***sea and C****** ******, what a hideous shitpack.

Although you probably speak in jest as to the relative lack of historical glamour of the Premiersh**e I'm slowly coming around to your way of thinking.

My desire for us to get promoted is three fold:

1. Mark my 30th season of watching with a seat at the top table for my first experience of it.

2. Watch us in said promised land for at least one season with my dad before he pops his clogs.

3. Reward Tony Bloom for what can only be described as biblical like stoicism and financial largesse.

However once we get it done once and realise we won't ever go on to be a 'force' in that league I'd be much happier just establishing a Brighton brand of exciting attacking football bobbing along in the upper echelons of the Championship.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Although you probably speak in jest as to the relative lack of historical glamour of the Premiersh**e I'm slowly coming around to your way of thinking.

My desire for us to get promoted is three fold:

1. Mark my 30th season of watching with a seat at the top table for my first experience of it.

2. Watch us in said promised land for at least one season with my dad before he pops his clogs.

3. Reward Tony Bloom for what can only be described as biblical like stoicism and financial largesse.

However once we get it done once and realise we won't ever go on to be a 'force' in that league I'd be much happier just establishing a Brighton brand of exciting attacking football bobbing along in the upper echelons of the Championship.

IF we got up, and managed to stay up during that difficult first season, I don't see why we shouldn't aspire to stay there and be top half of the table. We have the set up to do so, assuming the TV money keeps coming in, we spend our new wealth sensibly and have the right management team. There are a stack of "smaller" names in the Premier League (no offence!) that prove it is possible. So why not us?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bookies odds for the title

Newcastle 1/6
Norwich 1/2
Brighton 5/4

and for promotion

Newcastle 1/6
Norwich 4/9
BHA 5/4

I'm no betting expert, but I'm going to politely suggest you've got something wrong there.

If you haven't, I'd strongly recommend you take the 'promoted' odds, over the 'champions' ones.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Yes, but Tony loses 18 million a year to 'stay here'.

This cannot be sustainable forever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The biggest thing for me is strike power. Newcastle and Norwich have got creativity and goals in their squads and plenty of money in the bank for the January window too. Contrast that with the Albion:

1. We've failed to land a top striker in the last two windows
2. Hughton is reluctant to play 4th striker Manu
3. Glenn Murray was labouring on Tuesday - we're only in October.
4. No one is threatening to break through from the U-21 / Development squad.

Thank God our defence is awesome. We just need to keep nicking one goal victories and stay in touch with the top two, then hope we sign a decent striker in the window or Norwich drop off as five or six of their massive squad start to get the hump over zero game time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The biggest thing for me is strike power. Newcastle and Norwich have got creativity and goals in their squads and plenty of money in the bank for the January window too. Contrast that with the Albion:

1. We've failed to land a top striker in the last two windows
2. Hughton is reluctant to play 4th striker Manu
3. Glenn Murray was labouring on Tuesday - we're only in October.
4. No one is threatening to break through from the U-21 / Development squad.

Thank God our defence is awesome. We just need to keep nicking one goal victories and stay in touch with the top two, then hope we sign a decent striker in the window or Norwich drop off as five or six of their massive squad start to get the hump over zero game time.

It's hard to disagree with any of this, but we all know the reason why there is that difference between us and N&N, and that's parachute payments. But, equally, Villa have got them and spent a fortune, whereas Derby's chairman is content to spunk goodness knows what in his search for the holy grail, sorry Derby way.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
IF we got up, and managed to stay up during that difficult first season, I don't see why we shouldn't aspire to stay there and be top half of the table. We have the set up to do so, assuming the TV money keeps coming in, we spend our new wealth sensibly and have the right management team. There are a stack of "smaller" names in the Premier League (no offence!) that prove it is possible. So why not us?

But that would end up being dull wouldn't it?

I'd much rather constantly challenge at top end of Championship rather than eke out 45 points a season in the Prem. Personal preference I know.

We'll never ever achieve what Leicester did that was a 1/100 outlier.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bookies odds for the title

Newcastle 1/6
Norwich 1/2
Brighton 5/4
Sheffield Wednesday 7/2
Huddersfield 4/1
Aston Villa 6/1
Bristol City 9/1
Wolves 10/1
Derby 11/1
Birmingham 12/1

and for promotion

Newcastle 1/6
Norwich 4/9
BHA 5/4
HFC 4/1
Massive 4/1
Villa 11/2

Whatever happens at Wigan. Norwich is a huge game !

My 12/1 on albion for the title and also E/W looks pretty decent compared to the current price.

:rock:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

I'd much rather constantly challenge at top end of Championship rather than eke out 45 points a season in the Prem. Personal preference I know.

I know what you mean about it being potentially dull - thinking back to 1979-1983, that was often the case.

I also think the TV money has levelled the playing field these days and that's one of reasons why a Leicester can occasionally happen.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As unpopular as this will be I don't think we'll be anywhere near the mix at the end of the season.

I fear we've a small squad and the Jan / Feb suspensions and injuries will take their toll and I do think we'll lose two or three of AK, Dunk, Stephens or March. Small squad would be OK but we have little strength in depth.

There's also a concern over CH as the Premier League Manager's sack race continues.

Given the value of the EPL I also think clubs around can spend big to do two things, one acquire players they need and two to acquire players we need.

I really hope I'm wrong but this is how I see it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As unpopular as this will be I don't think we'll be anywhere near the mix at the end of the season.

I fear we've a small squad and the Jan / Feb suspensions and injuries will take their toll and I do think we'll lose two or three of AK, Dunk, Stephens or March. Small squad would be OK but we have little strength in depth.

There's also a concern over CH as the Premier League Manager's sack race continues.

Given the value of the EPL I also think clubs around can spend big to do two things, one acquire players they need and two to acquire players we need.

I think you're very wrong and really hope I'm right. Firstly, Hughton would need an offer from a very big club to move. Secondly, I don't think our squad is noticeably smaller than most squads - certainly not small enough to rule us out of the top 6. I'd also say we DO have strength in depth.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

If we stay top 6, Tony won't be selling any of those players in January even if it means writing off a fee for Stephens ( or Kayal ).

The only possible 'outs' are perhaps Elvis and LuaLua ( with Ince also having time out to deal with his court case ).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Like I've said I hope I'm wrong, but lose Dunk to suspension, a couple of mid season injuries and a couple of players go and I think we'd struggle to maintain 6th or better. I'd also love to see us challenging for the automatic spot because the play-offs aren't good hunting ground for us, are they.

You're right though IF we're in a very strong position come Jan a gambling man might want to stick it all on BLUE!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I'll give you Villa/Newcastle and potentially Forest - but the others have been away from the top flight for so long are they anymore "Noble" than Southampton for example.

QPR are just a mess and are in no way more deserving than those clubs you named.

The one exception to that list is WBA, I don't understand them, least the other clubs try and improve.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Last season you would have had a point about the size and depth of the squad, not so much this year though(with the exception of up front where, hopefully, come January we'll strengthen).

Last year Kayal and Stephens were the heartbeat of the side so much so that it was a big problem if one of them was unavailable, a catastrophe if both were(although i don't think that ever happened?). We currently sit third in the league two points of second and three off third after picking up 7 points in three games with neither of them playing and with Stephens hardly playing at all so far.

We're equally well covered on the wings, all across the back four and in goal. If we are up amongst it come January I'll be amazed if we sell any of our players unless an astronomical fee is offered. I also can't see Hughton leaving. The only teams who will offer him a job will be those struggling at the wrong end of the table. I really can't see him upping sticks for a team we could be replacing in six months.

We are third and haven't hit our stride yet. The only thing that will stop us being right in the mix for the top six is an inexplicable and continued loss of form or a serious long term injury crisis.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm not that worried about Hughton being poached by a Premier League club. He's had two stints in that league so to a certain extent he's regarded as yesterday's news. Plus he was also shabbily treated and I suspect he's a shrewd enough operator to know when he is onto a good thing. It appears that he has a good relationship with Uncle Tony and will know that will be difficult to replicate elsewhere. I reckon we've got ourselves a manager for as long as we want him unless a really improbable offer comes in.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Last season you would have had a point about the size and depth of the squad, not so much this year though(with the exception of up front where, hopefully, come January we'll strengthen).

Last year Kayal and Stephens were the heartbeat of the side so much so that it was a big problem if one of them was unavailable, a catastrophe if both were(although i don't think that ever happened?). We currently sit third in the league two points of second and three off third after picking up 7 points in three games with neither of them playing and with Stephens hardly playing at all so far.

We're equally well covered on the wings, all across the back four and in goal. If we are up amongst it come January I'll be amazed if we sell any of our players unless an astronomical fee is offered. I also can't see Hughton leaving. The only teams who will offer him a job will be those struggling at the wrong end of the table. I really can't see him upping sticks for a team we could be replacing in six months.

We are third and haven't hit our stride yet. The only thing that will stop us being right in the mix for the top six is an inexplicable and continued loss of form or a serious long term injury crisis.

Words of wisdom from GNLF-san.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

It is very hard to consistently challenge at the top end of the Championship year in, year out. Teams usually either get promoted or drop to mid-table obscurity, and I wouldn't mind betting one or the other will happen to us within the next 2 years.

Given our present position we're on course for our 4th play-off finish in 5 seasons and no other side has managed that, but that's been due in part to the 'bounce' from the Amex Stadium / Training Complex the club has received, courtesy of Tony. Sooner or later you need to get promoted in order for the club to prove they are capable of doing it. The only comeback my Leeds supporting neighbour has on me at present is that they've played in the Premier League, even one season there would lay that ghost to rest and give us an edge over those other 'big' clubs like Derby, Wednesday, Forest that have been there but not for many years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here