Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
EA492A69-0DAD-48E5-8FC6-6A02FFA58ABB.jpeg

Walking and running like chalk and cheese. 10 days ago started walking towards Everest. Running form 90-95%. Put 25lbs on my back and walking vertically up or down for 8+ hours a day made my calves and quads scream with pain. All good now and should reach destination in 5 days. If altitude doesn’t hit me I’m hoping to do a Garmin recorded 5k starting at 5k above sea level. Slowly slowly.

Missed Mira Rai running a trail run by a just week unfortunately.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done to all beating the table. I can’t touch it with a phone, so trust someone will edit for a rejuvenated [MENTION=11930]bob[/MENTION].

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well done to all beating the table. I can’t touch it with a phone, so trust someone will edit for a rejuvenated [MENTION=11930]bob[/MENTION].
Wow looks amazing. Will imagine I’m in the Himalayas when running a very wet Downland Devil tomorrow!

Hope you are having a great time - they got WiFi there then?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've not exactly been pushing on with training while knocky is stuck up a mountain. A week of 12 hour days, late night bar meals, taking a client to a gastropub and being faced with the choice between running somewhere I don't know in the dark, in a storm, having a lie in or competing with half a hotel for a single dodgy tradmill means my mileage last week was pathetic. 10 miles on the front this morning have blown those cobwebs away but I'm feeling the post run pain earlier and more intensively right now.

Last bit of work travel this year done though so should be able to run three or four days a week from now on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cracking day out along riverbanks and the SDW today at Mouth 2 Mouth, thanks to the Sussex Trail Events crew. It took a while - mud and hills are a bit of a bugger - but we got there in the end and celebrated with a well-deserved beer.

However, my right foot has swollen up for some reason, which means no Monday morning time trial for me!
9d96df1f3ced1fbcff92c719c21ba245.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Downland Devil for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and me this morning. Tough nine miles off road . Happy enough with 1:19 (only 4 mins down on 4 years ago in worse conditions) and 75th out of 250. I’ll let the big man report on his somewhat better result.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Downland Devil for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and me this morning. Tough nine miles off road . Happy enough with 1:19 (only 4 mins down on 4 years ago in worse conditions) and 75th out of 250. I’ll let the big man report on his somewhat better result.

Enjoyed what is a very tough cross country run, made more difficult by a strong wind and plenty of surface water.

So many tough hills it makes the mince pie seem flat which is next week.

Finished 12th out if 252 so one place better off but 85 seconds slower but I’ll put that down to conditions.

Easy week this week then up to Peacehaven for NSC’s favourite festive race.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well done on the Downland Devil :clap2: it sounded like the weather was a bit grim yesterday. It's always tough running off-road even in the conditions are good.

That's an EPIC run [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] :bowdown: I think you deserved more than just a beer at the end!

I did a more traditional 10k race yesterday. Conditions were almost perfect, cloudy with temperatures of about 8C. There were a few big puddles on the course after some overnight rain so I was jumping around in places. It was actually the last 10k of my Sunday long run, so I'd done a 14k "warm up" to get to the start line. I was planning to run it at my potential marathon pace, but, you know, once you start a race you can't help yourself. I ended up going quite a bit faster and came in at 40:28, which is my third best 10k race time. I was very encouraged by how good I felt at the end after pushing myself on tired legs. Definitely feeling positive about my marathon training now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done on the Downland Devil :clap2: it sounded like the weather was a bit grim yesterday. It's always tough running off-road even in the conditions are good.

That's an EPIC run [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] :bowdown: I think you deserved more than just a beer at the end!

I did a more traditional 10k race yesterday. Conditions were almost perfect, cloudy with temperatures of about 8C. There were a few big puddles on the course after some overnight rain so I was jumping around in places. It was actually the last 10k of my Sunday long run, so I'd done a 14k "warm up" to get to the start line. I was planning to run it at my potential marathon pace, but, you know, once you start a race you can't help yourself. I ended up going quite a bit faster and came in at 40:28, which is my third best 10k race time. I was very encouraged by how good I felt at the end after pushing myself on tired legs. Definitely feeling positive about my marathon training now.

Nice going – amazing time!

It turns out I DID get more than a beer after Mouth 2 Mouth – my swollen foot has been joined by spots and rashes all over my face and body. Verdict from the doctor – Hand, Foot and Mouth disease :nono: Apparently it's very rare in adults and, while it doesn't seem to impact my ability to run, it's not exactly comfortable! Doc says it will have cleared up in 10 days...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice going – amazing time!

It turns out I DID get more than a beer after Mouth 2 Mouth – my swollen foot has been joined by spots and rashes all over my face and body. Verdict from the doctor – Hand, Foot and Mouth disease :nono: Apparently it's very rare in adults and, while it doesn't seem to impact my ability to run, it's not exactly comfortable! Doc says it will have cleared up in 10 days...

Away end for you tomorrow then......no one will notice another pock-marked spotty [emoji23][emoji23]

D

Deleted member 2719

Running into a head wind solo.

I normal run a circuit starting into the head win for 1k and coming back into the head win for the last 1k.

Today was a 30kph wind and I found it sapping in mind and body.

So what tips do you pros have???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great soggy running this weekend. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is going from strength to strength. Hard to think he has followed a similar comeback course to Tyson Fury shedding 10 stone from his misspent late 20’s.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Quick question of curiosity, Christmas is coming and my wife will be asking me what I want. What are your favorite books about running? I'm not looking for technique or gear, but true stories about great journeys or adventure would be great. I've read Running with Raven, that's about it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Quick question of curiosity, Christmas is coming and my wife will be asking me what I want. What are your favorite books about running? I'm not looking for technique or gear, but true stories about great journeys or adventure would be great. I've read Running with Raven, that's about it.

The only running book I've read was last winter. My friend lent it to me as inspiration. It's called "Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World" by Bill Rodgers. He tells his story of how he become an elite marathon runner in the 1970s, with the highlight of him winning his first Boston Marathon in 1975. It's a cracking read. I loved reading about how different things were back then, before running was really a thing people did. In fact he's one of the reasons running became so popular when he opened his store in Boston and took everyone out for runs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

The ghost runner is very good. It’s about a guy who is banned from competing as he took a payment as a boxer and therefore couldn’t be treated as an amateur. He then attends events bypassing security to run and becomes known as the ghost runner. He wins nearly every race but these aren’t recorded in the history books.

One I read back in May is today we die a little. It’s a story around Czechoslovakian Olympian Emil Zapotek and is a great mix of running and politics.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
Why We Run by Robin Harvie
Running with the Kenyans by A Finn
In the Running by Phil Hewitt
Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes

All very good books and inspirational in different ways. Not sure if they are in print but maybe if you set your missus loose on Alibris and she could scoop the lot for a tenner!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami. Not very long and quite an easy read. It's where I first learnt the mantra 'Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional'. Great read, fascinating bloke.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

All very good books and inspirational in different ways. Not sure if they are in print but maybe if you set your missus loose on Alibris and she could scoop the lot for a tenner!

Agreed ! All good - would add 'Keep on Running' by Phil Hewitt and 'From Last to First' by Charlie Spedding

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
One I read back in May is today we die a little. It’s a story around Czechoslovakian Olympian Emil Zapotek and is a great mix of running and politics.

'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami. Not very long and quite an easy read. It's where I first learnt the mantra 'Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional'. Great read, fascinating bloke.

All good, would add 'Feet in the clouds' by Richard Askwith to that list.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
I've been a bit of a numpty, fell over crossing the Kingsway a few weeks ago, left hand did a fine job of breaking my fall, unfortunately broke a couple of bones in there in the process!

Been in plaster for a little over two weeks now and back to the fracture clinic on Friday.

Any experiences on here with coming back from similar injuries?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here