Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have a look at this brilliant bit of writing

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the Premier League board had simply released a statement saying "Richard Scudamore leaves with a £5m golden handshake as thanks for his role in making the EPL the enormous global commercial success it has become" then there'd be a few rolled eyes, but it would soon be forgotten about.

Its only because the press reported that Bruce Buck had asked each of the 20 clubs individually to contribute a £250k handout, that the wailing and gnashing of teeth kicked off. I've not seen a single direct quote from Buck saying that. Its a story that was spun to create the maximum amount of fuss, the maximum number of clicks, and in that respect it certainly worked.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Here's a bit of extra information that may be relevant.

The bonus was agreed by the EPL remuneration committee, which is chaired by Bruce Buck I believe. They felt that giving RS £5m over three years was in the best interests of the Premier League as the money comes with a proviso that he cannot work for a competitor or headhunt PL staff to work with him in a new position. Clubs do not vote on RS's pay, they delegate this to the remuneration committee.

The payment is made from central funds, which reduces the amount available for distribution to clubs by £83,000 a year. If a club is relegated during that period the cost is effectively picked up by the club promoted from the Championship.

The PL's concern was that Scudamore could have gone to a broadcaster such as Sky and use his knowledge to negotiate a much lower deal for forthcoming TV rights, which would have cost individual clubs far more than £83,000 per season. They therefore took a view that the payments to Scudamore were a form of insurance policy to prevent this happening. It's fairly common in other businesses, and football, whether we like it or not, is a business.

The story that was fed to the press was very emotionally charged, and aimed at stirring a reaction, classic click bait. It would be interesting to know whether this came from a club source or someone at the PL itself, and they may have an agenda in relation to Bruce Buck, or be a club that is so desperate for cash that even £83,000 was considered too high an insurance policy.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
The PL's concern was that Scudamore could have gone to a broadcaster such as Sky and use his knowledge to negotiate a much lower deal for forthcoming TV rights, which would have cost individual clubs far more than £83,000 per season. They therefore took a view that the payments to Scudamore were a form of insurance policy to prevent this happening. It's fairly common in other businesses, and football, whether we like it or not, is a business.

Is there any bidding going on over the next three years, weren't the packages up to the end of the 21/22 season wrapped up at the beginning of this year? Seems to me he can take the money and his three years is up right when the next round of negotiations kicks off...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree. Especially as the club've taken away the subsidies for fans' travel for fans outside of the Brighton area making it even more expensive for us lot to travel to games. For me this seems totally in bad taste and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Especially as we haven't exactly been benefiting from this money for a long time.

Have they? When did this happen?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Have they? When did this happen?

Last week. They've not yet done it for those within the Brighton band, but it looks likely to happen within the next year or so.

For me personally, it means I'm penalised twice as I'm also paying a higher ST price so that the club can subsidise travel for those closest to the stadium... which in simple terms is not fair and seems rather illogical. It also seems like another stab in the back for match going fans. But hey ho, they don't care.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Last week. They've not yet done it for those within the Brighton band, but it looks likely to happen within the next year or so.

For me personally, it means I'm penalised twice as I'm also paying a higher ST price so that the club can subsidise travel for those closest to the stadium... which in simple terms is not fair and seems rather illogical. It also seems like another stab in the back for match going fans. But hey ho, they don't care.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here, and it's certainly not trains. Is it something to do with buses?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Are you saying they've 'shrunk' the Travelzone ? Far as I know, it still covers as far west as Worthing, east to Eastbourne and north to Haywards Heath. If that changed last week, I suggest you share it with the class as its certainly news to me.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Great report. Shame about the photo. Who wants to be reminded of THAT.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From the Supporters' Charter...

FREE TRAVEL SERVICES
For all Premier League games at the American Express Community Stadium, the Club offer home and away fans free travel on buses and trains within the Free Travel Zone (see map on the following page).
You can use your matchday ticket, season ticket, or proof of matchday ticket purchase to use most services between 11:30am and 9pm for a 3pm kick-off and between 4:15pm and midnight for a 7:45pm kick-off.
Free travel services for other kick-off times will vary accordingly. Details of the bus and rail services that can be used for home matches at the stadium free of direct charge are listed below.
Please note: Free travel is inclusive for all home league matches. Free services may also be offered for friendly or cup matches, but please check Club information when purchasing your ticket.

TRAVEL LEVY
A Travel Levy of £50 per season, per adult, for 19 league games will be applied to all season ticket holders.
The concession levy is £25 for under-21s, under-18s and over-65s. There will also be a levy added to 2018/19 league matchday ticket prices for both home and away fans.
The benefit to all ticket holders will be inclusive, subsidised bus or train travel within
the dedicated zone, subsidised coach travel across all the various coach operators or use of the Club’s park & ride scheme. Subsidised travel for cup and friendly matches will be decided on a game by game basis.

TRAIN TRAVEL
When you reach the barriers at the station, simply show the ticket officer your ticket, smartcard, or proof of purchase if collecting tickets at the ground.
If you are travelling from outside of the subsidised
zone simply buy a ticket to the last station on the zone perimeter, and use the subsidised travel system for the remainder of your journey. You may also wish to consider parking at Lewes railway station, and taking the train on to Falmer.
Falmer Station is adjacent to the Amex Stadium North concourse and it is just a couple of minutes’ walk from the platform to the stadium.
For fixtures at the Amex outside of the Premier League programme, your match ticket will indicate whether free travel is included or not, so please be sure to check before making travel arrangements.

Screenshot 2018-11-21 at 16.15.15.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here, and it's certainly not trains. Is it something to do with buses?

Maybe it is Seagulls Travel, but that doesn't affect the travelzone which is still from Eastbourne to Worthing and up to Haywards Heath.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is there any bidding going on over the next three years, weren't the packages up to the end of the 21/22 season wrapped up at the beginning of this year? Seems to me he can take the money and his three years is up right when the next round of negotiations kicks off...

The next set of negotiations will start in 2020 to cover 2022-25.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Where is the brilliant bit of writing???

Dunno big T....I thought it was excellent. Not up to your standard but you are a different gravy as we see so many times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The Travel Zone is not changing (yet) but all supporters coaches including the likes of Seagulls Travel, NWSS, etc are loosing their travel subsidy so if you travel by coach from outside the Brighton area you no longer get subsidies ie price increase.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Are you saying they've 'shrunk' the Travelzone ? Far as I know, it still covers as far west as Worthing, east to Eastbourne and north to Haywards Heath. If that changed last week, I suggest you share it with the class as its certainly news to me.

No, it's for those that get buses/coaches to the ground due to us living too far out. We already pay for the travel, but apparently the club part subsidised this up to this point, albeit not by much, as it was a part of their contractual agreement in building the stadium. This agreement term is, as far as my understanding goes, running out. This means that, as of next season, those that travel the furthest to get to Albion games will have to pay more, due to Barber's decision. There is a distinct possibility that the season after will lead to travel subsidy being halted across the board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here