Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] yes I'm in for the Brighton 10mile. Beyond that I need to check I can't remember if I've entered the Brooks 10k.

Also considering Mince Pie 10 (probably) and Poppy Day HM at Bexhill - I have a vague ambition of doing all of the HMs in Sussex - just looked at Brighton Half - £38! That's nearly as much as watching Leeds play football(and they're the Champions of Europe you know).
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - to add my tuppence - you also did a pretty quick parkrun on Saturday including a world record attempt in the first km. Don't underestimate the benefits of the taper and the adrenalin any events brings - you'll be fine for the IOW!

£38 for the BH is a massive pisstake. All the local trail marathons are less than that - for example Beachy Head, which includes a meal after as well......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] yes I'm in for the Brighton 10mile. Beyond that I need to check I can't remember if I've entered the Brooks 10k.

Also considering Mince Pie 10 (probably) and Poppy Day HM at Bexhill - I have a vague ambition of doing all of the HMs in Sussex - just looked at Brighton Half - £38! That's nearly as much as watching Leeds play football(and they're the Champions of Europe you know).
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - to add my tuppence - you also did a pretty quick parkrun on Saturday including a world record attempt in the first km. Don't underestimate the benefits of the taper and the adrenalin any events brings - you'll be fine for the IOW!

Ha ha. Yes, That first HP km probably was a factor. That's what chatting on the start line does - nowhere to hide when the gun sounds!

I'm undecided about Brighton Half - I only did it last year because I won a place. I remember doing it when it was the Sussex Beacon and about £18/20 to enter, which wasn't THAT long ago. Close to £40 is a bit steep (hence why I didn't enter last year).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
£38 for the BH is a massive pisstake. All the local trail marathons are less than that - for example Beachy Head, which includes a meal after as well......

Did I see somewhere that there was soup on offer after Barnes Green? I don't remember that last year, but then I didn't really hang around too long after the end. Plus is was baking hot, so probably not really soup weather!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Did I see somewhere that there was soup on offer after Barnes Green? I don't remember that last year, but then I didn't really hang around too long after the end. Plus is was baking hot, so probably not really soup weather!

I didn't see any soup, but bananas were being handed out, and the goodie bag had a bottle of chocolate milk, a bottle of water, and a Kit-Kat in it - plus some Christs Hospital branded running gear which didn't look particularly edible!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hopefully meet a few of you near the start of Bright10 then. NSC Running Thread Xmas drink may be on after Mince Pie (probably one only as I suspect most of us will be driving?). <HINT> I LOVE mince pies </HINT>

I didn't see any soup, but bananas were being handed out, and the goodie bag had a bottle of chocolate milk, a bottle of water, and a Kit-Kat in it - plus some Christs Hospital branded running gear which didn't look particularly edible!

My friend recently moved to Dorset and ran the Purbeck 16 on 20th September. Looks a great run if you are ever out that way or tempted by a weekend on the Jurassic Coast. Her swag included a very cool looking square medal, bottle of cider, Purbeck Ice Cream, cereal, an apple and a free massage. That probably takes some beating.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
So is anyone waiting to hear on the result of the London Marathon ballot?

I fully expecting to see the "Sorry" mag when I get home....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Did n't see any soup but as much chocolate milk as you drink was available. Also don't forget the all important post its (I'm still using last year's) plus free programme which has a photo of me from last year in it!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Finished September by achieving a 1 mile pb by .2 of a second! Really thought I could go quicker based on the last 400 metres of my 8.25 mile run where my average pace for the final 400 was 5:40 pace and it didn't feel like sprinting. Maybe I was still recovering from yesterday or my running action was smoother yesterday after running for almost an hour before hand.

The time did however give me a 3rd pb across different distances for September

5/9 - Hove Park Run 5k - 19:17
20/9 - Arena 80 10k - 40:42
30/9 - 1 Mile Dash - 5:52

The Mince Pie ten does have a lot of NSC runners competing so maybe a pint after in the Dewdrop Inn probably the best of a bad bunch of places to drink in the haven of peace.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/BRI/428/dewdrop-inn-peacehaven

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Finished September by achieving a 1 mile pb by .2 of a second! Really thought I could go quicker based on the last 400 metres of my 8.25 mile run where my average pace for the final 400 was 5:40 pace and it didn't feel like sprinting. Maybe I was still recovering from yesterday or my running action was smoother yesterday after running for almost an hour before hand.

The time did however give me a 3rd pb across different distances for September

5/9 - Hove Park Run 5k - 19:17
20/9 - Arena 80 10k - 40:42
30/9 - 1 Mile Dash - 5:52

The Mince Pie ten does have a lot of NSC runners competing so maybe a pint after in the Dewdrop Inn probably the best of a bad bunch of places to drink in the haven of peace.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/BRI/428/dewdrop-inn-peacehaven

Cracking set of figures......your 10k time points to you being able to do a faster 5k time too.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Today I am GRUMPY.

I should have gone for a run this morning but I binned it last night. My left knee was aching the way my right knee was before Phoenix and the dull ache in the inside of my right foot is back. All in all I think I have been overtraining so I am not now planning to run until Sunday. It's taking the same will power I used to apply to saying no to the second bottle of Merlot.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I got my London Marathon rejection top this morning. Second one in two years.

Other than Brighton, does anyone have any recommendations for a spring (road) marathon. Anyone done Paris?

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Got a place in London marathon, through the post today. Could tie in nicely with having to register in London in the days leading up to it and we have Charlton away the day before!

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I got my London Marathon rejection top this morning. Second one in two years.

Other than Brighton, does anyone have any recommendations for a spring (road) marathon. Anyone done Paris?

Edinburgh - pretty flat course (actually net downhill), more importantly a great place to visit. Race is way less crowded than London.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back on it this evening with a nice easy run from King Alfred to Dukes Mound and back.

Beautiful evening for running, even saw some swimmers in the sea 😨

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Probably no running for me for a few days, but I have signed up for next years Surrey Half Marathon. Third year of the event, and its third different route - supposed to be flat and fast, but I find that difficult to believe!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well my willpower lasted one day :lolol:

No pain from either niggle this morning so decided to try a progression run to see if there was a point where I was more or less comfortable, Managed the negative splits ok but on 7k my knee started to ache a little again so I stopped and walked home. It's ok again at the moment and may just be an intermittent thing but I'm worried about it and unsure of if I should run on Sunday or how far. Taking it a day at a time I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here