Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Right, I’ll have my say again on this subject...

Ashley Barnes has scored 9 goals this season for Burnley, netting, on average every 229 minutes.
Glenn Murray has scored 14 goals this season for Brighton, netting, on average every 149 minutes.

Murray is better than Barnes, end of!

End of what? This thread has never been about whether Barnes is better than Murray or not (at least not with the bounces). It has been about throwing it back in the face of someone who argued passionately and defiantly that Ashley Barnes was not and never would be good enough for even a League One side, and here he is banging them in against top Premier League sides, leading the line of a top seven premier league side.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Ashley Barnes is a bloody brilliant player for Burnley.

He wasn't much good for us but Dyche saw something that we didn't.

Good luck to the lad. Brilliant goals.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
End of what? This thread has never been about whether Barnes is better than Murray or not (at least not with the bounces). It has been about throwing it back in the face of someone who argued passionately and defiantly that Ashley Barnes was not and never would be good enough for even a League One side, and here he is banging them in against top Premier League sides, leading the line of a top seven premier league side.

Banging them in? :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Until very recently Ashley Barnes had scored the most goals for Brighton at the Amex. Glen has only just overtaken him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Christ. Are we still flogging this one?
Get over it FFS.
Why contribute to it then. Ignore it and it might fade away. Personally I think it should be GOLD.

Right, I’ll have my say again on this subject...

Ashley Barnes has scored 9 goals this season for Burnley, netting, on average every 229 minutes.
Glenn Murray has scored 14 goals this season for Brighton, netting, on average every 149 minutes.

Murray is better than Barnes, end of!

You have spectacularly missed the point. It was never a comparison between Barnes and Murray.

This thread is like ruminating on a gorgeous Woman you dumped and regret it years later. LET IT GO !

It's nothing like that, at all.

This is the crux of the matter. Someone starts a thread which completely slates a player with ridiculous hyperbole about their lack of skills, and a little way down the line, that player shows them up.

It happens time and time again. Spanish Dave and Maty Ryan being the more recent ones.

Not nearly good enough for us (January 2011 in League 1). Mr Burns where are you?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

141 appearances and 42 goals. That would suggest that he was pretty good for us and that most of us knew it. Dyche didn't 'discover' Barnes.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Well I was watching the same Ashley as the fanboys and, whilst I agree he was played out of position too often, I thought he was wasteful very often and could be frustrating to watch.

He got some Goals for us and moved on to better things. Get over it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But Trig, Barnes no longer is our player and for some people they can’t seem to ignore that fact.

That isn't the point. Barnes was written off as not being good enough for League One.
Not only is he an established Premier League player, he is good enough to score regularly against top 6 sides.

Some Brighton fans wouldn't recognise a good player if they stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on their head.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What difference does it make how he plays now, he has been managed and coached by some top people and possibly improved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some Brighton fans wouldn't recognise a good player if they stood on Brighton beach with a seagull on their head.
:lol: exactly.

I know that part of the fun of supporting your team is to give your opinions, but more people need to recognise that they're not gifted talent spotters. I think I can read the game quite well, but I recognise that there will be plenty here who read it better, and even those are nowhere near as good at reading the game as the professionals we pay to run our club. I don't give whole team scores in player ratings threads because I think it's difficult to do that well. I often disagree with Chris's substitutions, but I try to be on the quiet side about it because I know that it's probably me that's in the wrong.

It annoys me when these dumb ****s slag off our players who supposedly aren't good enough. When they rewrite history as they suddenly decide that someone like LuaLua was only League 1 standard.

I live in hope that threads like this encourage more of these idiots to hold their tongues.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I was watching the same Ashley as the fanboys and, whilst I agree he was played out of position too often, I thought he was wasteful very often and could be frustrating to watch.

He got some Goals for us and moved on to better things. Get over it.

Missing the point.

We’re not lamenting his departure, although really disappointed at the time. But simply pleased to see him doing well and making a great living in the PL. Plus reminding the unknowledgeable Amex boo-boys that yet again they judged a player so wrongly.

Incidentally, at Withdean Barnes was played as a striker and scored a hatful of goals for a young player, as well as supporting Murray brilliantly. But the to accomodate CMS in a 4-5-1, Barnes was dragged back into midfield, or operating behind CMS. It didn’t really work for any of them. Between Murray’s first stint and Ulloa, the club/managers got the strikers situation badly wrong with a succession of bought and borrowed flops. Each one given precdence over Barnes as the lone striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here