Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Again, I say. It's great that everyone is revelling in Mr Burns' wrongness. But most of us standing up for Barnes when we were in league one were not of the opinion he would do well in the premier league. It was more a defence of him as a league one player with the assumption he would be third choice in the Championship. No one was arguing he would or could go as far as he did.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sunday league, hit and hope.
Don't get me wrong, it was a good Sunday league hit and hope.
He could try that 100 times and only hit the target about 95 times.
Bit like the cross he put in for Leo's goal v Arsenal in the FA cup, hit and hope.
He does it all the time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Again, I say. It's great that everyone is revelling in Mr Burns' wrongness. But most of us standing up for Barnes when we were in league one were not of the opinion he would do well in the premier league. It was more a defence of him as a league one player with the assumption he would be third choice in the Championship. No one was arguing he would or could go as far as he did.

That's not true at all. I certainly reckoned that he was decent enough to be first choice in a top-half Championship team. I must say that I'm surprised that he's a first choice for a top 7 PL team but he was a decent player with us and players with the attitude of Barnes will often do well for themselves

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Asked to talk Radio 5 Live listeners through his incredible, acrobatic, goal of a lifetime for Burnley against West Brom, Ashley Barnes cleared his throat, took up his metaphorical brush and easel and set about painting a wonderful picture with words. “I just had to swing my leg at it and luckily enough it hit the back of the net.”

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Barnes proving time and time again he is a decent player. Yesterday's goal was sensational!

Shame Murray did not put that penalty away on Saturday - with their run-in, Leicester now in the box seat for 7th and a place in Europe.

A Seagulls win would have seen Burnley have one foot in Europe for next season and continental central defenders quaking in their boots at the prospect of having to deal with Ashley "Attila" Barnes.:)

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's not true at all. I certainly reckoned that he was decent enough to be first choice in a top-half Championship team. I must say that I'm surprised that he's a first choice for a top 7 PL team but he was a decent player with us and players with the attitude of Barnes will often do well for themselves

I don't see how what you say contradicts me, really. Firstly, I deliberately used the term "most' people standing up for Barnes, of course there are exceptions, you may have been one of them I can't really be bothered to go back through the past 1200-odd posts again having gone through them during one of the previous bounce-athons to come to my conclusion.

But also, even suggesting he was decent enough to be a first choice in the top 12 of the championship is still not saying he would be regularly playing for a top 8 premier league side, scoring goals and getting, in some quarters, chatter about playing for England.

While most of us saw he was better than Mr Burns gave him credit for, he has exceeded most peoples expectations.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In all the excitement of the ensuing 120 pages it’s easy to forget the genius of the oringinal 2011 post by mr Burns ...

“The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years.
“You can get away with being and playing like a tart in some positions, but not as a striker”

Mr Burns certainly knows his football. Currently works as a scout for Sunderland.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't see how what you say contradicts me, really. Firstly, I deliberately used the term "most' people standing up for Barnes, of course there are exceptions, you may have been one of them I can't really be bothered to go back through the past 1200-odd posts again having gone through them during one of the previous bounce-athons to come to my conclusion.

But also, even suggesting he was decent enough to be a first choice in the top 12 of the championship is still not saying he would be regularly playing for a top 8 premier league side, scoring goals and getting, in some quarters, chatter about playing for England.

While most of us saw he was better than Mr Burns gave him credit for, he has exceeded most peoples expectations.

I suspect that MOST supporters were like me, simply enjoying Barnes’s many attributes on a match by match basis, and recognising his progress as a young player. I certainly didn’t map out his likely future and put a cap on his destiny. Just enjoyed the matches and performances.

This must serve as a lesson to the spiteful boo-boys not to write off young players.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He does not play for us any more, Calde does not either.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The gift that goes on giving. (A deflection off him, but in the right place at the right time.)

:clap::clap::clap:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Christ. Are we still flogging this one?
Get over it FFS.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It'll keep being bounced every time he nets.

And with Burnley in Europe next season, one can expect a few more bounces along the way.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Right, I’ll have my say again on this subject...

Ashley Barnes has scored 9 goals this season for Burnley, netting, on average every 229 minutes.
Glenn Murray has scored 14 goals this season for Brighton, netting, on average every 149 minutes.

Murray is better than Barnes, end of!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This thread is like ruminating on a gorgeous Woman you dumped and regret it years later. LET IT GO !

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think if people didn't ask for likes of Ulloa back we could move on. Barnes was/is a quality player, we let him go.

We bang one out when Leo comes back, done sod all but has a song so that'll do.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think if people didn't ask for likes of Ulloa back we could move on. Barnes was/is a quality player, we let him go.

We bang one out when Leo comes back, done sod all but has a song so that'll do.

" The one that got away " sigh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here