Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, well I only started running at age 59, three years ago, and my pre-death window is considerably shorter than yours :cry:, so I need to crack on with getting that AG up a bit

I hope you had an enjoyable wasted youth that stopped you getting some great pbs in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed to get a massage and manipulation in with my wife's osteopath friend tonight. Had a very tight hamstring but no obvious damage and definitely not neural (she said). Gave me the all clear to run the 10k and suggested I just do one short-ish, easy run between now and then. No idea what time I will get. Was looking to head back towards 50 dead but two weeks of no training combined with beer heavy home games and a nagging doubt that my hammy might go could see me post a shocker. Shame as I was running 12 milers at negative splits three weeks ago. I'll be meeting some mates off a FB running group near the clock tower at 8-ish on Sunday morning and getting my number Friday lunchtime.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So I kind of kept quiet about this to Gareth, Mike & Brett and I think only posted once on here about it but here goes...

I was due to run Brighton marathon last year for REMF. I’d done the fundraising and was up to about £300. I’d done a fair bit of training and had just done Lydd 20 miler when something pretty major happened in my life that hit me extremely hard and still is fairly tough now, although much easier than it was... [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

So I tried to run Hastings half a few days later and my body had just shut down. I hadn’t eaten & mentally just couldn’t run. It was so hard to see all that training and hard work go out the window & I was pretty embarrassed to have to email Gareth & Mike to pull out. They were great and understood.

A few months later in the Summer, some mates of mine mentioned they’d signed up to Paris Marathon for the following April. I just thought something to aim for would be great for me so I went for it. It was my chance to put things right and not be defeated. So I kind of decided to run it for REMF as I’d raised the money but not completed a marathon.

Due to time and work I wasn’t able to train to quite the level I’d liked but I still put the effort in from January to get on it and the weekend of the 7th April quickly came around. This was my time to put last years disappointment to bed!

We drove over to Paris Saturday and collected our numbers from the exhibition. I was excited yet very nervous to do my first marathon. When we arrived Sunday morning at the start, the atmosphere was electric. 55,000 runners and hearing the clapping and music made me have goosebumps.

The marathon itself was great. Amazing famous landmarks and a terrific atmosphere. I felt my hamstring injury after 10 miles which I had to stop and stretch out regularly. Four of us ran it together at a leisurely pace. It was actually around 23 degrees and very hot for what we were used to. We just had a great laugh all going around and interacted with the crowd and other runners constantly. ‘PEs (personal experience) not PBs’ was our motto. We all managed to stick together and help each other along and finished at 5-29. Crossing the finish line meant so much to me on so many levels and I just felt pleased to have been knocked flat out and to have got up and held my head high to complete my challenge a year later. I’ll never forget Sunday! So I’m proudly in the marathon club, ran unofficially for REMF, and here I am proudly donning the stripes (well sort of!) while running. Thanks for reading :)

* for some reason my pic won’t upload so will have to try again later!

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

D

Deleted member 2719

So I kind of kept quiet about this to Gareth, Mike & Brett and I think only posted once on here about it but here goes...

I was due to run Brighton marathon last year for REMF. I’d done the fundraising and was up to about £300. I’d done a fair bit of training and had just done Lydd 20 miler when something pretty major happened in my life that hit me extremely hard and still is fairly tough now, although much easier than it was... [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

So I tried to run Hastings half a few days later and my body had just shut down. I hadn’t eaten & mentally just couldn’t run. It was so hard to see all that training and hard work go out the window & I was pretty embarrassed to have to email Gareth & Mike to pull out. They were great and understood.

A few months later in the Summer, some mates of mine mentioned they’d signed up to Paris Marathon for the following April. I just thought something to aim for would be great for me so I went for it. It was my chance to put things right and not be defeated. So I kind of decided to run it for REMF as I’d raised the money but not completed a marathon.

Due to time and work I wasn’t able to train to quite the level I’d liked but I still put the effort in from January to get on it and the weekend of the 7th April quickly came around. This was my time to put last years disappointment to bed!

We drove over to Paris Saturday and collected our numbers from the exhibition. I was excited yet very nervous to do my first marathon. When we arrived Sunday morning at the start, the atmosphere was electric. 55,000 runners and hearing the clapping and music made me have goosebumps.

The marathon itself was great. Amazing famous landmarks and a terrific atmosphere. I felt my hamstring injury after 10 miles which I had to stop and stretch out regularly. Four of us ran it together at a leisurely pace. It was actually around 23 degrees and very hot for what we were used to. We just had a great laugh all going around and interacted with the crowd and other runners constantly. ‘PEs (personal experience) not PBs’ was our motto. We all managed to stick together and help each other along and finished at 5-29. Crossing the finish line meant so much to me on so many levels and I just felt pleased to have been knocked flat out and to have got up and held my head high to complete my challenge a year later. I’ll never forget Sunday! So I’m proudly in the marathon club, ran unofficially for REMF, and here I am proudly donning the stripes (well sort of!) while running. Thanks for reading :)

:clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

RESPECT!!!

Congratulations, heart warming post.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Truly inspiring. Well Done.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well played [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] - great marathon to compete in.

I went out this evening for an hour with no eye on the watch at all, just a gentle stroll and ran 6.7 miles just to shake out the legs. I feel confident and strong, bring it on!

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fantastic stuff, well done. You’ll remember that far more fondly than busting your arse trying to get a time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Managed to get a massage and manipulation in with my wife's osteopath friend tonight. Had a very tight hamstring but no obvious damage and definitely not neural (she said). Gave me the all clear to run the 10k and suggested I just do one short-ish, easy run between now and then. No idea what time I will get. Was looking to head back towards 50 dead but two weeks of no training combined with beer heavy home games and a nagging doubt that my hammy might go could see me post a shocker. Shame as I was running 12 milers at negative splits three weeks ago. I'll be meeting some mates off a FB running group near the clock tower at 8-ish on Sunday morning and getting my number Friday lunchtime.

Two choices.
First choices 5k warm up jog at 9" miles and then a 5k pace if confident.
Second add 1-2 minute to that last Parkrun you ran for first 5k and then run home a 5k, if you feel confident.

Go in with a strategy to build up through the run as your legs need to warm up more than usual. Choice 1 i did at the Phoenix last year and really enjoyed it.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What a lovely heart warming and inspiring story. Well done for getting through your troubles to join the marathon club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003

Absolutely brilliant mate, well done. what a great post.

I've convinced myself to have one last go next year at a full Brighton for REMF. I'm sure Gareth will have you again if you want to join the team. But if you just needed to slay some demons I reckon you've done so in the best possible way :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Two choices.
First choices 5k warm up jog at 9" miles and then a 5k pace if confident.
Second add 1-2 minute to that last Parkrun you ran for first 5k and then run home a 5k, if you feel confident.

Go in with a strategy to build up through the run as your legs need to warm up more than usual. Choice 1 i did at the Phoenix last year and really enjoyed it.

Option 2 looks like the strategy I was thinking of anyway. Definitely going to start slower and build. It worked for [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] at Worthing last year where I ran with the 50 min pace group and he hung back, only to overtake me as I turned in to a gibbering wreck on the home straight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Option 2 looks like the strategy I was thinking of anyway. Definitely going to start slower and build. It worked for [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] at Worthing last year where I ran with the 50 min pace group and he hung back, only to overtake me as I turned in to a gibbering wreck on the home straight.

I'm using it on Sunday. Starting at 9:30 pace and very slowly edging upwards. First half 2 hours plus and second sub 2 hours.
Target is sub 4:00:07 if i miss it the better man won.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield

Well done Sheebo, fantastic effort :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
I'm using it on Sunday. Starting at 9:30 pace and very slowly edging upwards. First half 2 hours plus and second sub 2 hours.
Target is sub 4:00:07 if i miss it the better man won.

If you beat it I’m back next year even if I’m in a wheelchair :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Woken up this morning with a sore throat and streaming nose. Bl**dy typical, that I'm as fit as I've ever been and otherwise in good shape for my first marathon on Sunday. Just praying that it passes well before Sunday, and doesn't move to my chest, which is often what happens when I get a cold.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Found my extra stone to last marathon. It's unfortunately not all in leg muscles. Have to wear a suit Monday morning post marathon. Just tried it on and I can't do the trousers up. 31" waist has become 35" in last couple of weeks of recovering and tapering and drinking and eating. I'm going to have to buy a new pair of trousers, keep the label on them till Monday and hope I'm down to 32" post marathon and able to wear the matching trousers......at least I'm well fueled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here