Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only half? I'd hazard a guess that roughly 70% of this post is unreadable to me due to the blocking of about 5 or 6 particular Brexchimpletons, dribbling over their keyboards with their badly coordinated simian fingers.

I'm waiting for the next key bit of news that actually matters. I suspect it will be around about October, with the end of that month being the deadline for the Government to report on the options for the vote in Parliament.

Tick-tock indeed.

I'd guess that at least 95% of the posts on here have to be explained to you in much simpler words,hence the sparsity of posts.Shame really,they provide normal people a good laugh,with their utterly pointless drivel.Please ask your responsible adult for a bit more keyboard time,and keep taking the Tide pods.Saw this,and immediately thought of you:

ml.png

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't claim a surrender, and I only forecast doom when the direction of travel veers towards hard Brexit.

A recession has been kept at bay by global growth picking up enough to keep us afloat, unless you are in construction, where there has been 3 quarters of decline overall, despite house building hitting record levels. I would not say we are at no risk of a national recession from Brexit just yet, but as long as it keeps heading towards a Norway or Swiss type deal, as it seems to be at the moment, we should just be under performing, rather than going backwards.

Really? I don't remember any 'only in the case of a hard Brexit' caveats to your dire warnings.

Now your just making stuff up/grasping at straws. The predicted immediate recession didn't arrive in 2016 before signs of a recovery in global growth. Also bizarre how those experts with their uncanny foresight didn't predict global growth would supposedly come to our rescue before or during the referendum. #cakeandeatit

'I would not say we are at no risk of a national recession from Brexit just yet ' is some improvement on your previous line ... one is on the way/inevitable.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't you like the new passports?

We were having new passports regardless of the EU. Brexit has nothing to do with it despite the crowing from the government.
The contract had simply come to an end. Some EU countries have blue passports so changing to blue is nothing to do with Brexit. Every country is free to choose which colour they have. In fact the blue won't be the same blue as previously as the shade is a lot lighter.
The British printers were too expensive so lost out in the blind tender.
The French bid was better.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Really? I don't remember any 'only in the case of a hard Brexit' caveats to your dire warnings.

Now your just making stuff up/grasping at straws. The predicted immediate recession didn't arrive in 2016 before signs of a recovery in global growth. Also bizarre how those experts with their uncanny foresight didn't predict global growth would supposedly come to our rescue before or during the referendum. #cakeandeatit

'I would not say we are at no risk of a national recession from Brexit just yet ' is some improvement on your previous line ... one is on the way/inevitable.

What is it you think I am making up?
If we drag it out long enough it might never happen, the transition arrangement is going to be important in avoiding one, but it might just shunt it down the line.
I may not have made it explicit in every post, but in those where I did not, it would be because I was responding to someone insisting we should just walk away, negotiate nothing, pay nothing and just leave. If you want to trawl back to the period where I was sure a recession was coming, take note of the other posts and your own from the time, insisting no deal is better than a bad deal, which I think we can all agree would cause a lot of problems and require a return to negotiation and doing a deal to resolve.

Jan 30, 2008
A Waffen SS division who committed the Oradour-sur-Glane and Tulle massacres.You think the only racist Nazis were at camps? I know even you cannot be that stupid. Why would anyone who isn't an utter racist psychopath have that as their user name, for any reason? You're a cretin and I'm ending this exchange.
you're getting yourself at it old chap ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWel51xP5w
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
We were having new passports regardless of the EU. Brexit has nothing to do with it despite the crowing from the government.
The contract had simply come to an end. Some EU countries have blue passports so changing to blue is nothing to do with Brexit. Every country is free to choose which colour they have. In fact the blue won't be the same blue as previously as the shade is a lot lighter.

nothing like softening the blow is there :lolol:
regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

The resolution on a uniformed passport was indeed something we could have opted out of but didnt. Its purpose was to promote feelings amongst nationals of The European Communities before it was The EU, that they belonged to the same community. We didn’t have to sign up to that goal, but we did, You were not free to choose your own colour though if you did sign up to the uniform passport resolution, it had to be a variant of the current burgundy.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The resolution on a uniformed passport was indeed something we could have opted out of but didnt. Its purpose was to promote feelings amongst nationals of The European Communities before it was The EU, that they belonged to the same community. We didn’t have to sign up to that goal, but we did, You were not free to choose your own colour though if you did sign up to the uniform passport resolution, it had to be a variant of the current burgundy.

The irony is that the UK could have had a blue passport while an EU member. EU member state Croatia currently has a blue passport, after all. In any case – the “iconic” blue passport was imposed from abroad back in 1920 – thanks to the the League of Nations.
The EU never mandated burgundy passports: it simply produced a standard format that many member states chose to use for the sake of convenience.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What is it you think I am making up?
If we drag it out long enough it might never happen, the transition arrangement is going to be important in avoiding one, but it might just shunt it down the line.
I may not have made it explicit in every post, but in those where I did not, it would be because I was responding to someone insisting we should just walk away, negotiate nothing, pay nothing and just leave. If you want to trawl back to the period where I was sure a recession was coming, take note of the other posts and your own from the time, insisting no deal is better than a bad deal, which I think we can all agree would cause a lot of problems and require a return to negotiation and doing a deal to resolve.

Claiming the improvement in global growth stopped us going under/a recession. We haven't been anywhere near continuous negative GDP since the vote. Consumers continued to spend, employment at record levels, unemployment record lows, most domestic sectors have performed reasonably well. Remainers even claimed it was the Bof E intervention that helped strengthen our position. Improved global growth may have added a bit more to our exports (as well as the competitive pound) but to suggest it saved us from recession is rubbish.

Spintastic, you have been promising me a Brexit recession ever since the vote. Care to produce the evidence that you only referenced impending doom when a no deal was mentioned?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The irony is that the UK could have had a blue passport while an EU member. EU member state Croatia currently has a blue passport, after all. In any case – the “iconic” blue passport was imposed from abroad back in 1920 – thanks to the the League of Nations.
The EU never mandated burgundy passports: it simply produced a standard format that many member states chose to use for the sake of convenience.

Except the burgundy colour is specified. If a member state chose to sign up to the uniformed passport regulations, which we did then the colour was part of the deal.Croatia hasnt signed up to the uniformed passport so can choose its own colour.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is not a law though is it.

No one is claiming it is law. Its a set of regulations concerning a uniformed passport (including the colour) You can chose to sign up to having a uniformed community passport and abide by the regulations or like Croatia you can choose not to sign up to a uniformed passport

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes. So we can have blues one AND be in the EU. So why the rejoicing about it?

If we had opted out of a uniformed passport we could have chosen any colour we liked. But if you were in The EU( and unlike us a committed member) and already signed up to it why would you then opt out?
Dont you like blue then? Personally i would have gone for British Racing Green or Burberry to give the snowfakes something to choke on.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Probably easier to opt out and change the colour than leave the eu and change the colour.

Only an idiot though would think we voted out of The EU for the specific reason of changing the passport colour.

What is wrong with the burgundy ones? There is no need to change them, they work. What is the problem with them currently?

Burgundy is the specified EU colour if you sign up to having a uniformed passport therefore burgundy is pants for a passport.....yuck!

Hi viz yellow would make a nice change as well now i come to think about it

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
How does the colour impact how well a passport works? No one has addressed why changing to blue will improve how the passport works. Without that, it is just a waste of money.

Are you really waiting for someone to tell you how changing the colour of a passport changes how it functions?............blooming heck!
Sigh......it doesnt cost anything extra to change the colour, its a new contract, the current one is due to expire.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If we had opted out of a uniformed passport we could have chosen any colour we liked. But if you were in The EU( and unlike us a committed member) and already signed up to it why would you then opt out?
Dont you like blue then? Personally i would have gone for British Racing Green or Burberry to give the snowfakes something to choke on.

I haven't heard the expression 'uniformed passport' until now but they sound much more exotic than uniform ones. Could I have one dressed up as a policewoman?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yes. There must be a functional reason for changing the colour. Otherwise what is the point?

So in the future it will be easier to tell the good guys (blue) from the bad guys (red).Or, perhaps, it was more people voted to Leave so get the passport colour they wanted.Democracy triumphs again.:cheers:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I haven't heard the expression 'uniformed passport' until now but they sound much more exotic than uniform ones. Could I have one dressed up as a policewoman?

Could do you this uniform passport cover if that sort of thing floats your boat.Policewoman might be too kinky.

il_570xN.809867005_pqzt.jpg

If you are into uniforms send me a PM, ive got a whole folder of that stuff

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Claiming the improvement in global growth stopped us going under/a recession. We haven't been anywhere near continuous negative GDP since the vote. Consumers continued to spend, employment at record levels, unemployment record lows, most domestic sectors have performed reasonably well. Remainers even claimed it was the Bof E intervention that helped strengthen our position. Improved global growth may have added a bit more to our exports (as well as the competitive pound) but to suggest it saved us from recession is rubbish.

Spintastic, you have been promising me a Brexit recession ever since the vote. Care to produce the evidence that you only referenced impending doom when a no deal was mentioned?

No, I don't care to produce, happy for you to waste your time trying to provide evidence otherwise. You have a point with my earlier certainty that we would have been through a recession by now, but Planes being grounded and tens of thousands of city jobs going to the EU has always been associated with a hard Brexit to me, or real Brexit as you call it. Unless we remian in the single market, or create some approximation of it, trade with the EU will fall, no one doubts this, what you guys seem to believe is that the drop will be compensated with more trade with the rest of the world, which will also require some tough negotiating and take several years to reach fruition.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here