Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I finally caught "The Greatest Showman" - not the greatest film but I enjoyed it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've seen both, and yes it's slow with lots of dialogue with short scenes of violence. If you enjoyed Jesse you will probably enjoy Hostiles also

I finally went to see Hostiles. I didn't find it slow at all, but imho it lacked the atmosphere of Jesse (and The Last of the Mohicans). It was very predictable, a bit Mohicans meets 3.10 to Yuma. As soon as I saw 'Frenchie' I knew he was far too pretty to survive the wild west :lolol:
On the whole I found it a very enjoyable film, but the ending badly lets it down (imho)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ready Player One

Didn't really know what to expect with this, but its a fun ride. Set in a dystopian 2045, everyone escapes the depressing reality of what the planet has become by existing in a VR world called Oasis, playing as their own avatar, in an enormous game, seeking three keys that will bring them untold riches by finishing the game and owning the whole VR world. Kind of echos of The Matrix in the way everyone flips between the real world and the VR one. Loads of 80's pop culture references and tunes (as the designer of the Oasis was an 80's kid). The end dragged on a bit, it goes on for north of 2 hours so could probably have trimmed half an hour off without really losing anything. But overall its an enjoyable and original flick, with a truly EXCELLENT sequence involving The Shining.

74%.

[edit]

was surprised to see Finchy from The Office turn up too, in a small role. He gets around dunnie.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Tomb Raider today, and thought it an entertaining romp. Alicia Vikander lends more realism to the role than we've seen previously, and seemed to suit the role. It's a subtly different Lara Croft to the previous digital and real-life depictions. As expected, there are some decidedly Indiana Jones-esque elements particularly in the final act, and despite the odd bit of shaky CGI, was given the definite thumbs up by my wife and kids (boys, 16 yo).

She proves remarkably resilient to external forces in certain scenes but of course that would have been certification management!

There was also a fun "turn off your phone and shut up" clip beforehand, using the basic premise of A Quiet Place to shut people up in the cinema with their loud "treats and snacks"...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In the very unlikely event that anyone finds themselves at a loose end in Toronto this weekend...
My feature documentary "Something Left Behind" is screening at the Carlton Cinema on Saturday.

View attachment 95438

Any chance of a local showing on the coast. I see this was a Q and A- how did it go?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Saw tomb raider yesterday with the Mrs.
So much better than the previous Angelina Jolie outings, but unfortunately it didn't follow the games story properly. If it had then it would've been so much better. Vikander is a pretty good Lara.
I'd like to see it again at home seeing as though the parents of the little pricks behind us clearly didn't give a toss about them ruining others enjoyment with their constant talking. Sad that my Mrs had to tell them to shut up because the parents didn't discipline them. I'd give it a 6.5/10.

Also watched I kill Giants yesterday.
Interesting movie exploring the stresses of dealing with (or not dealing with) death.
Having lost my mum at a relatively early age, i found the ending a little upsetting as I could relate to the story, but the film as a whole was very well written and acted.
Excellent casting, some funny moments, some very cheesy moments. Not entirely sure who their target audience is as it seems like a kids film but I think kids may find it quite hard going at the end.
A solid 7.5/10

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Oscar winning short- The Silent Child being shown BBC 1 Good Friday at 7-40 p.m.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Do you live in Toronto? I am coming to visit in a few weeks. Any top tips please :)

No. Just out here briefly with the film I'm afraid.

Any chance of a local showing on the coast. I see this was a Q and A- how did it go?

Hopefully something local, yes. Depends if CineCity will have it or something, otherwise it's incredibly expensive to put a film on independently.
The Toronto screening went down very well thanks and also the Q&A afterwards with Mr Gedge joining in.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
No. Just out here briefly with the film I'm afraid.

Hopefully something local, yes. Depends if CineCity will have it or something, otherwise it's incredibly expensive to put a film on independently.
The Toronto screening went down very well thanks and also the Q&A afterwards with Mr Gedge joining in.

Would be good to show around Edge Of The Sea time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I, Tonya. Decent flick. Actually started feeling sorry for her in the end, without giving anything away. Anyone else seen it and feel the same?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I, Tonya. Decent flick. Actually started feeling sorry for her in the end, without giving anything away. Anyone else seen it and feel the same?
Watching it next month on a flight to NYC...Virgin Atlantic have already listed their films for next month, and some good ones there. So, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In the very unlikely event that anyone finds themselves at a loose end in Toronto this weekend...
My feature documentary "Something Left Behind" is screening at the Carlton Cinema on Saturday.

View attachment 95438

Ha, wish I'd seen this post earlier!

I like Carlton Cinema too. It's got a nice retro feel to it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ready Player One

Didn't really know what to expect with this, but its a fun ride. Set in a dystopian 2045, everyone escapes the depressing reality of what the planet has become by existing in a VR world called Oasis, playing as their own avatar, in an enormous game, seeking three keys that will bring them untold riches by finishing the game and owning the whole VR world. Kind of echos of The Matrix in the way everyone flips between the real world and the VR one. Loads of 80's pop culture references and tunes (as the designer of the Oasis was an 80's kid). The end dragged on a bit, it goes on for north of 2 hours so could probably have trimmed half an hour off without really losing anything. But overall its an enjoyable and original flick, with a truly EXCELLENT sequence involving The Shining.

74%.

[edit]

was surprised to see Finchy from The Office turn up too, in a small role. He gets around dunnie.

I'm about 60% of the way through the book. I'm really enjoying it but my one criticism is that it's too long and the 80s references are a bit overkill after a while. Interesting to hear your comments about the film being too long too. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the book, I feel like it's perfect for a film.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yep, me too. Enjoyed it and surprising, or probably not, really how things were and probably still are.

Edit. I hope that makes sense.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Ha, wish I'd seen this post earlier!

I like Carlton Cinema too. It's got a nice retro feel to it.

They were perfect for my needs. 100 odd capacity. In fact I'm off there shortly to collect my giant lobby poster and kill some time before an overnight flight home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm about 60% of the way through the book. I'm really enjoying it but my one criticism is that it's too long and the 80s references are a bit overkill after a while. Interesting to hear your comments about the film being too long too. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the book, I feel like it's perfect for a film.

I'm an 80s geek so I love all that shit, but I think the film as a whole could certainly have done with some editing, particularly the final act. But if you're enjoying the book then I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the film, its an interesting concept and something a bit different.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Ready Player One - Went to see this in 3D IMAX with Mrs Oscar and Oscar Jr last night. I was slightly apprehensive given both my son and I really enjoyed the book. But, determined to give the experience a chance as a standalone film, I have to say we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

With so many blockbuster movies bogged down with multi-movie story arcs, huge casts and ever-expanding universes, it was a pleasure to be taken on a fun and spectacular ride by a director who clearly has lost none of his enthusiasm and talent for turning out the perfect popcorn movie.

For film stuffed full of retro references and nostalgia, RP1 feels surprisingly fresh and forward thinking. Two set pieces (which I won't spoil) are particularly brilliant and especially immersive in 3D.

Spielberg has said how he deliberately didn't reference his own movies in the film, despite the fact E.T, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters etc are the Seventies/Eighties for many of us, and I was initially disappointed by that. But watch the film and while Indy and E.T aren't to be seen, you can't help but be reminded of those films and the wide-eyed wonder we felt when watching them as kids.

A special mention for Mark Rylance who is brilliant as the inventor of the OASIS virtual world. The young cast are good too - although oddly especially so in their virtual forms rather than one or two slightly clunky "real world" scenes.

Overall, a pleasure to watch this after Black Panther which despite its billion dollar returns, I found utterly dull and overrated.

8.5/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here