Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Fullers buy Dark Star

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A lot of the criticism aimed at the brewers of various ales is rather unfair.
Unlike keg beer, cask ale requires rather more attention if it is to be served and enjoyed in prime condition. Obviously the pipes have to be clean, but the ale must be properly conditioned in the pub cellar and again unlike a keg beer, which can last for some time, a quick turnover of the cask ale is important.Temperature is also important.
I am always rather dubious about seeing a pub with a vast array of cask ales, as it is almost inevitable that some ales will be on sale for longer than is ideal and will be past their best. The brewer will get the blame, when really it is down to poor cellar management and incorrect ordering.
Much better to have fewer ales on sale, but served in good condition and having a rapid turnover!
Dare say I am preaching to the converted, but having spent 40 years in the brewing industry, I have had plenty of experience of the good bad and the ugly!
For what it is worth I think Fullers produce some excellent ales as do plenty of other brewers,large and small.
Cheers.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Apparently fullers at chiswick is brewing at capacity so seems unlikely they move production in the short to medium term.

theboybilly

I tend to use micropubs now and they (being local) tend to stock Sussex ales. I don't think I've had a bad pint from the likes of Long Man, Langhams, Gun Brewery or Kissingate. These are great days for ale. I'm not sure why anybody would drink London Pride, Doombar or Wadworth 6X when there is so much better out there, and such variety

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I tend to use micropubs now and they (being local) tend to stock Sussex ales. I don't think I've had a bad pint from the likes of Long Man, Langhams, Gun Brewery or Kissingate. These are great days for ale. I'm not sure why anybody would drink London Pride, Doombar or Wadworth 6X when there is so much better out there, and such variety

Doom Bar was once a local ale from a small brewery.
Agree that if you have a nice local pub selling a selection of ales from small local breweries then they are great.
Next one to go the way of Sharps will be Dartmoor, hugely popular beer down here, hope not though.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Take overs of this type never end well Fullers may not be the largest brewery but it makes beer routed in the 1930s such as London Pride specifically designed to be drunk in half pint jugs while smoking a pipe and discussing what Margery may have cooked for lunch while Dark Star makes modern beer full of exotic tates such as crime brûlée, Greatfruit, chocolate designed to be drunk by the great grand children of London Pride drinkers the two are so different it will ultimately end in disaster

Very sad day for the best local brewery I need to find out what happened to the origional Dark star brewer I am aware he left a few years ago but did he set up his own brewery does anyone know as I need to start the search for a replacement once quality starts to diminish?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Agree that if you have a nice local pub selling a selection of ales from small local breweries then they are great.
Next one to go the way of Sharps will be Dartmoor, hugely popular beer down here, hope not though.

The tale of Doom Bar and Sharps is indeed a sorry one it was a great beer now it's an homogenised fizzy soapy bath water of a beer

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey

Had a few pints of ales from Dartmoor while I was seeing my daughter in Newton Abbot,very nice

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The tale of Doom Bar and Sharps is indeed a sorry one it was a great beer now it's an homogenised fizzy soapy bath water of a beer

Homogenised is it?

Along with your previous posts adjuncts have been used for many years, Craft beer is one of the oldest alcoholic drinks of all time. Young beardies haven't reinvented the wheel.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Makes us grateful for Tony and then Miles Jenner. They've resisted takeover offers for Harvey's for years.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Take overs of this type never end well Fullers may not be the largest brewery but it makes beer routed in the 1930s such as London Pride specifically designed to be drunk in half pint jugs while smoking a pipe and discussing what Margery may have cooked for lunch while Dark Star makes modern beer full of exotic tates such as crime brûlée, Greatfruit, chocolate designed to be drunk by the great grand children of London Pride drinkers the two are so different it will ultimately end in disaster

Very sad day for the best local brewery I need to find out what happened to the origional Dark star brewer I am aware he left a few years ago but did he set up his own brewery does anyone know as I need to start the search for a replacement once quality starts to diminish?

Mark Tranter set up Burning Sky Brewery about 5 years ago, based in Firle. Rob Jones owns the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham and has plans to set up a brewery behind the pub.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009

Mark Tranter set up Burning Sky Brewery about 5 years ago, based in Firle. Rob Jones owns the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham and has plans to set up a brewery behind the pub.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Young beardies haven't reinvented the wheel.

They most certainly have. I was drinking a 9% Nelson Sauvin hopped Chardonnay barrel aged Belgian Ale the other night. I cannot think of this as being anything but wheel reinventing. Same goes for simple things like American Pales....absolutely wheel reinventing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
They most certainly have. I was drinking a 9% Nelson Sauvin hopped Chardonnay barrel aged Belgian Ale the other night. I cannot think of this as being anything but wheel reinventing. Same goes for simple things like American Pales....absolutely wheel reinventing.

Isn't that a Trappist statement?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Burning Sky is part of the reason I’m not too fussed about what’s happened to Dark Star. For the benefit of everyone/me shall we have a roll call of good Sussex Breweries? My mind is a bit blank today but here’s a starter.

Burning Sky
Arundle
Brighton Bier
Lost and Found
Gun
Harvey’s.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Burning Sky is part of the reason I’m not too fussed about what’s happened to Dark Star. For the benefit of everyone/me shall we have a roll call of good Sussex Breweries? My mind is a bit blank today but here’s a starter.

Burning Sky
Arundle
Brighton Bier
Lost and Found
Gun
Harvey’s.
Long Man (obv)
Kissingate
Beachy Head

FWIW I think Harveys is dross, but recognise I'm in a large minority

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions