Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The thing with MB is he is not really a decent film reviewer. He slates every single film he ever sees especially Hollywood. He despises that. He is a 1 trick pony. If it is from an unknown studio he will be knocking himself out over it. Sorry but I do find him the most boring and predictable film critic on here. I pretty much disregard everything he says as I know what he will say before I read it. Utterly predictable

R u ok

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The thing with MB is he is not really a decent film reviewer. He slates every single film he ever sees especially Hollywood. He despises that. He is a 1 trick pony. If it is from an unknown studio he will be knocking himself out over it. Sorry but I do find him the most boring and predictable film critic on here. I pretty much disregard everything he says as I know what he will say before I read it. Utterly predictable

I would suggest that if, like Meades Ball, you try all sorts of different films and take a chance on lesser publicised fare then inevitably you are going to see a fair bit you don't think is brilliant (and of course find some unexpected gems). Conversely, if you only ever gonto see the type of film that you know you'll probably like because it loooks like all the other films you've enjoyed, chances are you'll like a lot of what you see. But miss out on some very good cinema.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

I'd say your ability to read me equals your ability to assess the quality in film.
Which really means that you know what you're talking about. :)

Let's do a fun test. I will let you know of the next mainstream film i'll see, and i'll ask you to write my feelings of it. This isn't a test to undo you, and I promise to be honest with my thoughts so as not to seem to correct you.
What do you think?
Oh and I promise not to wait for Paddington 3.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like the way you've moved on from reviewing films to reviewing film reviewers now [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]. Very meta.

FWIW I really enjoy BOTH of your film reviews.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Apologies to Meade's Ball. I was a bit grumpy last night

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Saw The Post today. I know it’s had a bit of debate on here, but it was an average film, at best, for me - no more than a 6/10, and I’m shocked to see it’s an Oscar contender considering the standard of film that was out last year. There was a real lack of tension throughout, and I couldn’t really tell whether that was due to the main characters’ performances or the writing. The material, whilst interesting in theory, lacked bite and I never really felt like the motives behind any of the characters, aside from Hanks’, were truly explored. There seemed to be four or five characters who were there just to push the dialogue on, and the use of Nixon seemed non-sensical - why have a character who is essentially the big bad, but not explore his reasoning behind his decision making and hatred for this company?

As I said, average for me, but I enjoyed Saul’s performance (I’ve forgotten the actor’s name), and enjoyed parts of what Hanks and Streep did, although I’ve seen both produce much better performances.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

Think I could happily sit and read MB's talented letter pixel placing every day of the week.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Shape of Water next

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Early Man today, a film I wasn't intending to see until I heard Mark Kermode's glowing review of it. Pleased I did...found it an easy going, good natured and very amusing watch.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Second view of three billboards today. Upgraded to 93 out of 100 and the best film of 2018 so far. It is sublimely brilliant from start to finish with a powerhouse ending. One of the best films of the last 10 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NeD4UMU9M

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So far

Three Billboards 93
Darkest Hour 91
The Post 84
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Whilst some of you relished in viewing another Izquierdo beauty, i was in the local cinema, in a mini-theatre of around 20 seats. I’d feared it was like another tiny screen I’d been to in which there weren’t seats but zigzagging recliners, which had a gangly elderly chap fall asleep next to me, his gargantuan legs slowly moving toward me, whilst the horror we watched unfolded upon screen. Luckily this wasn’t the case. The film was Phantom Thread, which I found to be a slightly annoying title, but it was a good flick.
When watching it I briefly thought of a comedian on the box a few months ago saying about how men age and become these increasingly impatient and curmudgeonly creatures who few should long remorse, and of myself being this mildly bitter pastiche of my former sweeter self. The film itself is not really of that, but Daniel Day Lewis gives quite a farewell performance to acting. I’ve not always been a fan of the extremes he seems to play, but this acrid and insular perfectionist was a fascinating and subtle character-watch, told with elements of occasional humour too.

Vicky Krieps, who plays Alma, a younger capture who will not break his pledge for bachelordom, gives an amazing performance too, at least in one part seeming as if lost in a moment and no longer acting. It was a dark emotional romance that was revealed, and one you grubbily view whilst being embedded in this stiff and closed off to those temporarily invited in. The music by Johnny Greenwood was mostly excellent, in and out of 50s melodramatic romance. Lesley Manville was excellent too as Day Lewis’s sister.
Overall, I thought it a rather good film. The best of the Oscar films I’ve seen thus far though, by some way.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For an alternative view on Phantom Thread - nothing happens. 2 hours of nice imagery, an acting masterclass from Daniel Day-Lewis and less story than Nick Park's Early Man. Drifts along very slowly and then finishes. No conclusion, no real story told, just a look at this man's life and odd romance with a woman who, luckily, grew to be a masterful seamstress out of nowhere.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For an alternative view on Phantom Thread - nothing happens. 2 hours of nice imagery, an acting masterclass from Daniel Day-Lewis and less story than Nick Park's Early Man. Drifts along very slowly and then finishes. No conclusion, no real story told, just a look at this man's life and odd romance with a woman who, luckily, grew to be a masterful seamstress out of nowhere.

I agree. Saw it today and Daniel Day-Lewis was excellent as you would expect it is a very odd tale of two misfits with demons, basically he is a narcissist and her a sociapath, he a perfectlonist with ocd her compliant and then does a reversal role, who in the end fit together in their ways. He ends up needy and she ends up the dominant one. It for me is the weakest oscar contender by some way, behind, three billboards, darkest hour and the post. I would give it 81 out of 10 for the acting mainly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here