Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Also David Burke has been at the club since Feb 2012. Signings the club have made the last 2 years include

Tomas Kuszczak
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Ulloa
Stephen Ward
Keith Andrews
Matthew Upson and
Chris Conway
Andrea Orlandi

Not bad for a club with a supposedly mid table budget.

And suggest incredibly difficult to judge the ins/outs of this transfer window till at least 11pm next Friday. And realistically not until the end of the season. Ass the fascinating interview on Albion Roar makes clear , then all signings at the club are made ultimately by Oscar. Its David (and Nathan etc) who research, scout, find the players and Tony Bloom who makes call on wages/fee etc. Its very much a team decision.

I think this post answers the question. Burke IN!

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Also David Burke has been at the club since Feb 2012. Signings the club have made the last 2 years include

Tomas Kuszczak
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Ulloa
Stephen Ward
Keith Andrews
Matthew Upson and
Chris Conway
Andrea Orlandi

And suggest incredibly difficult to judge the ins/outs of this transfer window till at least 11pm next Friday. And realistically not until the end of the season. Ass the fascinating interview on Albion Roar makes clear , then all signings at the club are made ultimately by Oscar. Its David (and Nathan etc) who research, scout, find the players and Tony Bloom who makes call on wages/fee etc. Its very much a team decision.

Chris Conway may as well have not been here for the impact he had!! His namesake craig was good though! You missed him.

Pednatry asisde you make an excellent point - that is an extremely impressive list!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's judge on Feb 1.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sorry, I meant - did the interview clarify what you wanted to know? Did we miss anything out?

Well to be honest it wasn't a burning issue for me, but I now have a better understanding of what he does and where he comes from and yes it wouldn't hurt for anyone wanting to vent their spleen to give this a listen first.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Sorry, I meant - did the interview clarify what you wanted to know? Did we miss anything out?

Al, that is an exceedingly patronising tone. I heard the interview when you first did it. I do have one question though which you wouldnt have asked and even if you had, you wouldn't have got an answer to, and that is around making one contract offer and then letting things rest/fester (a la Barnes) is this normal practice?

Also can we hold people in transfer windows pending getting in replacements. This window seems to have had couple of surprise departures with little visible outcomes of replacements.

Btw that isnt a criticism of Burkew.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Really enjoyed the interview and it definitely gives a much better explanation of his role.

There was one bit that was quite telling when David Burke said (I paraphrase) 'I've worked with chairmen where they wouldn't do a deal with someone because of a personal issue, but Tony's not one of those chairmen.'

Never knew he was a Brighton (Hove actually) bloke and I liked the fact he didn't mention that until he'd got the job. Really knew his stuff about the Goldstone.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al, that is an exceedingly patronising tone. I heard the interview when you first did it. I do have one question though which you wouldnt have asked and even if you had, you wouldn't have got an answer to, and that is around making one contract offer and then letting things rest/fester (a la Barnes) is this normal practice?

Also can we hold people in transfer windows pending getting in replacements. This window seems to have had couple of surprise departures with little visible outcomes of replacements.

How is it exceedingly patronising? I simply asked him whether he got from the show the answers he'd have wanted to have known; whether he enjoyed it.

If anything, your post is far more patronising, insinuating there are questiond we wouldn't ask. Just because we didn't doesn't mean we wouldn't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
TLO - I thought that interview was great. At the risk of repeating myself, thank you for that.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Tomas Kuszczak
Wayne Bridge
Bruno
Ulloa
Stephen Ward
Keith Andrews
Matthew Upson and
Craig Conway
Andrea Orlandi

I do think you have to look at that list a little closer and ask the question was it Burke who drove the club to bring in these players or the manager?

Under the two Burke/Poyet window's we signed

DOBBIE Summer 2012
BRIDGE Summer 2012
CROFTS Summer 2012
DICKENSON Summer 2012
KUSZCZAK Summer 2012
LOPEZ Summer 2012
ORLANDI Summer 2012
SALTER Summer 2012
INCE January 2013
MAKSMENKO January 2013
UPSON January 2013
ULLOA January 2013

Under the two Burke/Garcia windows we have signed so far
ANDREWS Summer 2013
AGUSTIEN Summer 2013
CHICKSON Summer 2013
WARD Summer 2013
CONWAY Loan Window 2013
LITA Loan Window 2013
OBIKA January 2014
MONAKANA January 2014

My perception is that Burke is having a greater say under the Oscar management than when Gus was here.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

as it happens, i probably would have asked that :wave:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do think you have to look at that list a little closer and ask the question was it Burke who drove the club to bring in these players or the manager?

Under the two Burke/Poyet window's we signed

DOBBIE Summer 2012
BRIDGE Summer 2012
CROFTS Summer 2012
DICKENSON Summer 2012
KUSZCZAK Summer 2012
LOPEZ Summer 2012
ORLANDI Summer 2012
SALTER Summer 2012
INCE January 2013
MAKSMENKO January 2013
UPSON January 2013
ULLOA January 2013

Under the two Burke/Garcia windows we have signed so far
ANDREWS Summer 2013
AGUSTIEN Summer 2013
CHICKSON Summer 2013
WARD Summer 2013
CONWAY Loan Window 2013
LITA Loan Window 2013
OBIKA January 2014
MONAKANA January 2014

My perception is that Burke is having a greater say under the Oscar management than when Gus was here.

Well of course it might appear like that, OG has just arrived having never managed in England before. Burke is there for the exact reason of enabling smooth transitions like a change in manager ensuring the club doesn't miss out on talent just because a new manager is getting up to speed.

But to conclude he has more say is just conjecture, I suspect he has exactly the same say and power as he did under Gus, its probably the case that so early in his time in England OG needs the support of the clubs scouting structure rather than knowing straight off what he wants and who is available.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well of course it might appear like that, OG has just arrived having never managed in England before. Burke is there for the exact reason of enabling smooth transitions like a change in manager ensuring the club doesn't miss out on talent just because a new manager is getting up to speed.

But to conclude he has more say is just conjecture, I suspect he has exactly the same say and power as he did under Gus, its probably the case that so early in his time in England OG needs the support of the clubs scouting structure rather than knowing straight off what he wants and who is available.
Ok I think that's a fair comment, so I would ask you the question do you think the signings that have come to the club post Gus are better or worse?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here