Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scholes and Rooney

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't. Scholes should STFU, particularly bearing in mind he walked out on England when he was 29 and at the peak of his game. Great timig for a former player to criticise current team a week before the tournament starts. Tw*t.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I personally think he is right to criticise Rooney and if he wants to shut up Scholes should do with performances

And by not tackling like Scholes.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I don't. Scholes should STFU, particularly bearing in mind he walked out on England when he was 29 and at the peak of his game. Great timig for a former player to criticise current team a week before the tournament starts. Tw*t.

This.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Agreed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Purely based on career comparison, Rooney still has a lot to prove in the domestic and international game. Scholes doesn't IMHO.

I can see how you might argue that Rooney hasn't performed brilliantly for England in tournaments but did Scholes ever play well for more than a couple of games?

I find it odd that after years of being silent he's decided be arsy weeks before the World Cup about someone he was coaching a few weeks ago.

Stumpy Tim

Purely based on career comparison, Rooney still has a lot to prove in the domestic and international game. Scholes doesn't IMHO.

Really? How's that? Rooney has won everything in the club game, and has 39 goals for England. Scholes has won everything in the club game, but was never the same player for England.

To be honest, I think they're on a par

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Agreed, never understood how any player could refuse their country, particularly at such a young age.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Really? How's that? Rooney has won everything in the club game, and has 39 goals for England. Scholes has won everything in the club game, but was never the same player for England.

But how many of those goals weren't against San Marino?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la

For me, Rooney still has a lot to prove in Tournaments for England. Not had a good one since 2004. Obviously Scholes had a different role for England. I always thought he was one of our better players though. Rooney seemed to peak too early. Hopefully he'll have a blinder this time round.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Agreed, never understood how any player could refuse their country, particularly at such a young age.

Carragher threw his toys out of his pram at 29.

Stumpy Tim

For me, Rooney still has a lot to prove in Tournaments for England. Not had a good one since 2004. Obviously Scholes had a different role for England. I always thought he was one of our better players though. Rooney seemed to peak too early. Hopefully he'll have a blinder this time round.

I think expectations of Rooney have always been too high. Scoring 39 goals at his age is no mean feat. His best tournament was when he was 17/18, and then he moved to United. Normally Ferguson was great for player development, but he played Rooney upfront rather in the hole where he started his career. I always thought it a shame Ferguson did that

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
do I care about either
do I ****

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But how many of those goals weren't against San Marino?

He scored v:

ECU, 4th Jun 14 (FR)
POL, 15th Oct 13 (WCQ)
MNE, 11th Oct 13 (WCQ)
BRA, 2nd Jun 13 (FR)
MNE, 26th Mar 13 (WCQ)
SMR, 22nd Mar 13 (WCQ)
BRA, 6th Feb 13 (FR)
POL, 17th Oct 12 (WCQ)
SMR, 12th Oct 12 (WCQ) (2)
UKR, 19th Jun 12 (ECF)
BUL, 2nd Sep 11 (ECQ) (2)