Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top South Coast Club

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bit bored by the FACup tonight so did some digging to see if we have ever finished as the top Football League club on the south coast (Plymouth; Southampton; Bournemouth; Portsmouth; Brighton).

I believe we've only done this ONCE in 1959/60 when we finished 14th in Div 2 - unless someone knows better.

This season is surely our best chance to put this stat to bed - would be great to do it.

PG

Yeah completely agree, only a small thing in the great scheme of things maybe, but l would love to climb above Bournemouth and achieve bragging rights.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Historically Pompey by some distance
They have had more success than all the other south coast teams put together

as my mate reminds constantly, they are the only club South of the Thames to win the top flight!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm still finding it intensely pleasing that there are 3 SCCs in the Premier league vying for this "title", and none of them are Portsmouth. :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit bored by the FACup tonight so did some digging to see if we have ever finished as the top Football League club on the south coast (Plymouth; Southampton; Bournemouth; Portsmouth; Brighton).

I believe we've only done this ONCE in 1959/60 when we finished 14th in Div 2 - unless someone knows better.

This season is surely our best chance to put this stat to bed - would be great to do it.

PG

'Top South Coast Club'?

Most. Tinpot. Thing. Ever. :moo:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Technically on the coast? What does technically on the coast mean? - they're right next to the bl00dy seaside so they are on the coast! Exeter aren't, by the way.

I think he meant that although Plymouth and Torquay ARE on the south coast, normally they are regarded as West Country teams.

I agree with him by the way!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Technically on the coast? What does technically on the coast mean? - they're right next to the bl00dy seaside so they are on the coast! Exeter aren't, by the way.

Whilst Exeter aren't "technically" on the coast I did buy my Wife's eternity ring from a nice jewellers there, but not sure if that supports or disproves this argument?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Historically Pompey by some distance
They have had more success than all the other south coast teams put together

But they are #twats so it doesn't count.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

See below:

I think he meant that although Plymouth and Torquay ARE on the south coast, normally they are regarded as West Country teams.

I agree with him by the way!

You agree with me because I am right!..Odd that people cannot work it out though.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
See below:

You agree with me because I am right!..Odd that people cannot work it out though.

:facepalm:

That wasn't below when I posted.

Incidentally, I knew what you meant. Just that Torquay and Plymouth aren't just technically on the coast, they are actually on the coast (which, incidentally, is the south coast). And of course, it's not possible to be champions of the south coast without finishing ahead of Plymouth (and when appropriate) Torquay. Anything less would be just posturing, like Palarse pretending to be good..................

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be fair, Bournemouth are a better team than we are and have been for some time.

Southampton are also a better club than us, if you take into account the players they have had come through the ranks, like Walcott, Bale etc, who have gone on to far better things. We are not in the same league as them in nurturing young players.

We are certainly on the up at the moment but this has only been for the last couple of years, so let's not get carried away here.

Soton are still a bigger club but if you look the way the club has gone of late the glory days are over for them. They are certainly not a BETTER club than Albion these days.we are far better run...

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
:facepalm:

That wasn't below when I posted.

Incidentally, I knew what you meant. Just that Torquay and Plymouth aren't just technically on the coast, they are actually on the coast (which, incidentally, is the south coast). And of course, it's not possible to be champions of the south coast without finishing ahead of Plymouth (and when appropriate) Torquay. Anything less would be just posturing, like Palarse pretending to be good..................

Ah, there is always one.

So you knew what I meant but were just being awkward...I guess this is NSC after all. I could be awkward too, but I won't.

But we can leave Plymouth & Torquay to the Westcountry.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've always tracked this and never for a minute included Plymouth or Torquay in it and certainly not Exeter.

Its Bmuff, Saints and Portsmouth.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably this is being pedantic but I’ve never considered teams in Devon/ Cornwall (Plymouth fans there!) as South Coast, which to me would be us, Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth. So I would never consider the likes of Plymouth, Torquay or Exeter to be included.

That's just racist.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here