Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton and Injuries tracker 2018/19

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gross when recovering from his injury had a setback and was out for a few more weeks. This is unfortunate but normal and doesn’t mean that Hughton is “lying”, pretending or that anything he says about injury recovery time (3 or so press conferences a week, multiple players across, a 45 odd week pre/season ) is wrong. He’s boringly correct most of the time. And anyway he’s only repeating what his medical team tell him (who win awards for recovery in last few seasons) so blame them.

Cool your jets, CJ. I'm not accusing him of lying. I'm pointing out his turn of phrases, and how they don't stand up to literal interpretation, much like the inappropriate use of 'I could care less' by a lot of Americans.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Cool your jets, CJ. I'm not accusing him of lying. I'm pointing out his turn of phrases, and how they don't stand up to literal interpretation, much like the inappropriate use of 'I could care less' by a lot of Americans.

Yep I get it. You said he sometimes uses phrases when talking about injuries and recovery time when he says one thing but really he means another, or the complete opposite (care less, not care)
Fair enough. .

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yep I get it. You said he sometimes uses phrases when talking about injuries and recovery time when he says one thing but really he means another, or the complete opposite (care less, not care)
Fair enough. .

That sounds very glib. But again, no. When americans say 'I could care less' they mean couldn't care less. They are not deliberately trying to mislead, but the literal translation of what their saying is the opposite. When Hughton says 'Bissouma won't be out for a period of time' he means he won't be out for a long period of time, he isn't trying to lie, but the literal reading of what he is saying is that he won't be out at all. When he said Gross wouldn't be out for a number of games, he meant he wouldn't be out for many games, he isn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, but taken literally one game is a number of games because one is a number.

You are ascribing to me an implication of Hughton attempting to mislead that doens't exist. I know you like to defend the club and Hughton but there is nothing for you to defend.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Here's the latest complete injury round up
*minor Bissouma update*

Bernardo [hamstring] - Not available for Liverpool. Came off during West Ham game. " "I think he would probably be touch and go [for Man Utd]. It is a hamstring strain that he has.
"It's a minor one, which is the good news, so it is going to be about how he responds."

Bissouma [hip]
“He pulled out of training day [on Thursday] - slight hip problem. Nothing that will keep him out for a period of time. Not quite sure [about Man United]
but its a very short term problem...If he misses next week then we are quite sure he will be ready the following week (home to West Brom in the FA Cup)"
via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06w15wk
& https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17354583.albion-midfielder-a-doubt-for-manchester-united-trip/

Izquierdo [knee] = Not training. JI revealed to twitter user over Xmas that he estimated an end of January return.
Last detailed update on Jose (Dec 29th) from CH - ""It's the same injury [as the world cup], but he is in a decent place at the moment which is good.
"All we've got to make sure to do is the process. We are mindful of not pushing him too quickly.
"What we want to do is make sure we get him right so that when he is back playing he can have a longer period of being fit."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/173...the-world-cup/
https://twitter.com/randall_chris/st...52788924551170

Ali J [hamstring/Asian Cup] - Away. "returned to full training" via https://www.foxsportsasia.com/footba...ainst-vietnam/
was one of the unplayed subs in their win over Vietnam Saturday. Next group game v Iraq on Wednesday.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17355844.alireza-jahanbakhsh-getting-closer-to-injury-comeback/

Connolly [hamstring] - taken off in first half of Monday's u23 game v Arsenal. ""He went off with what he thought might have been a hamstring problem but I think he is in good shape. He was a lot better the next day.
"It's certainly nothing serious. Over this period of time we'll assess what will happen with him, whether we decide to keep him here or whether he will take up one of the numerous enquiries for him."

see: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/173...aron-connolly/
and https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/173...r-united-trip/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That sounds very glib. But again, no. When americans say 'I could care less' they mean couldn't care less. They are not deliberately trying to mislead, but the literal translation of what their saying is the opposite. When Hughton says 'Bissouma won't be out for a period of time' he means he won't be out for a long period of time, he isn't trying to lie, but the literal reading of what he is saying is that he won't be out at all. When he said Gross wouldn't be out for a number of games, he meant he wouldn't be out for many games, he isn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, but taken literally one game is a number of games because one is a number.

You are ascribing to me an implication of Hughton attempting to mislead that doens't exist. I know you like to defend the club and Hughton but there is nothing for you to defend.

CJ can speak for himself, but I didn't read him as ascribing to you what you've indicated. Rather, I suspect CJ was ascribing generally to the numerous comments that appear on this thread to the effect that what CH says about player injuries is wrong. I'm certainly of the view that this thread proves otherwise.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
CJ can speak for himself, but I didn't read him as ascribing to you what you've indicated. Rather, I suspect CJ was ascribing generally to the numerous comments that appear on this thread to the effect that what CH says about player injuries is wrong. I'm certainly of the view that this thread proves otherwise.

All this thread proves is that CH like Pep is incredibly good at giving absolute nothing answers in press conferences filled with vague descriptions and even vaguer timelines. They don't call Guardiola's squad selection the Pep Roulette for nothing, CH is exactly the same in his press conferences, especially about injuries.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
All this thread proves is that CH gives absolute nothing answers in press conferences filled with vague descriptions and even vaguer timelines. CH is exactly the same in his press conferences, especially about injuries.

Ok. Not sure that he can be anymore specific than “we are sure he will be ok for West Brom [if not ok for Man Utd]”

That’s a very specific timeline and a very specific injury description (few sentences about his hip). For Bissouma . I do wonder if that’s not good enough, what would be ?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok. Not sure that he can be anymore specific than “we are sure he will be ok for West Brom [if not ok for Man Utd]”

That’s a very specific timeline and a very specific injury description (few sentences about his hip). For Bissouma . I do wonder if that’s not good enough, what would be ?

Oh I didn't realise that this whole thread about injuries tracked were just about Bissoumas hip injury. Forgive me I had no idea we had a forum full of seers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Oh I didn't realise that this whole thread about injuries tracked were just about Bissoumas hip injury. Forgive me I had no idea we had a forum full of seers.

So far this season Hughton has projected correct, specific and on time or earlier timelines for the return from injuries for Dunk, Duffy, Murray (twice), Locadia, Bruno, Button, Andone, Ben White, Connolly and the initial return post World Cup for Izquierdo.
Gross return was more complex given he had two consecutive injuries although his ultimate return was projected correctly.
There have been also been updates about Izquierdo (return of current knee injury) and Ali J (hamstring) although both have taken longer to return than hoped but sometimes injuries take a long time to recover from.
Why that makes CH "vague" or means he "gives absolute nothing in press conferences" (like Pep) i'm not sure. Because this whole thread is a bit like this...

1) Dunk's return from Liverpool in August "At the moment it doesn’t look like [a long time out], so that’s a positive.
“It’s certainly not as bad as it might have been. How long we don’t know but we are probably talking weeks" - What happened - returned after 13 days.

2.Bruno in August - "likely to return to training next week:" - What happened - returned to training next week.

and so on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All this thread proves is that CH like Pep is incredibly good at giving absolute nothing answers in press conferences filled with vague descriptions and even vaguer timelines. They don't call Guardiola's squad selection the Pep Roulette for nothing, CH is exactly the same in his press conferences, especially about injuries.

What a strange response given the weight of evidence on this thread. What's stranger still is that you waste your time on it given that, according to you, it's full of absolutely nothing. Your options appear to be to ignore our players' injury situation, or find an alternative source of information.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Ok. How about this for a specific timeline and a specific quote about an injury. Hughton saying last Monday in a post match press conference/interview

"He went off with what he thought might have been a hamstring problem but I think he is in good shape. He was a lot better the next day.
"It's certainly nothing serious.

talking about Aaron Connolly who is back, fit, as you'd expact given Hughton's info. He's in the line up tonight for the u23s v Liverpool a week later.
https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/1084874510602551296

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Played 62 minutes - just been subbed off. No goals so far.

Came through unscathed. Game finished 0-0. More games for Iran then as they top their group. Still a chance they will play Australia in the final.
An interview earlier today: https://www.foxsportsasia.com/footb...19-iran-alireza-jahanbakhsh-fit-to-play-iraq/
and here's a pic of AliJ in action

alirezaj.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ali J will be like a new signing when he finally steps up as a first choice starting player. So far doesn't feel like I've really seen him (don't have a clear mental picture of him in the stripes doing anything of note...).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I see that Jayson Molumby has finally finished his rehab, so I presume he'll start getting the odd run-out with the under-23s.

He was the number one prospect last season, but I wonder where he is in the pecking order now among Connolly, Dreyer, Gyokeres, Sanders, White etc? And whether any of them can follow Dunk and March into the squad on a regular basis?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here