Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I knew there was a but and I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But my long-laboured point is that there are juveniles all over social media whether we like it or not and pretty much anyone can take out an account. In the examples I gave of under age or mental incapacity I’d expect that action to be the club having a quiet word with the parent / carer - acting as “the other mum” - rather than dishing out a ban. Followed by a call to both WBA and the FA to explain.

You can reasonably guess someone’s age from a picture but not to a precise age, nor can you gauge their circumstances and mental fitness to hold the account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... I see your point. Tricky one...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you applying to join the board of directors of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club by any chance? :wink:

It pays to cover all bases.

I have never criticised our glorious leader ...oh no..not me sir...no Sireeeeeee. He is doing a fantastic job and is worth every penny the our tone pays him.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Oh dear, oh dear. Far too many people being offended nowadays, or worse still, being offended on behalf of someone else. As I read somewhere the other day:

"Welcome To The Thin-Skinned Generation, Where Everything is A Bloody Problem."

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I knew there was a but and I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But my long-laboured point is that there are juveniles all over social media whether we like it or not and pretty much anyone can take out an account. In the examples I gave of under age or mental incapacity I’d expect that action to be the club having a quiet word with the parent / carer - acting as “the other mum” - rather than dishing out a ban. Followed by a call to both WBA and the FA to explain.

You can reasonably guess someone’s age from a picture but not to a precise age, nor can you gauge their circumstances and mental fitness to hold the account

Why should different (lower) standards apply online than in real life ? I doubt the club would act as 'the other mum' if a kid shouted racist abuse or whatever in the ground. If they did do so then they might encounter a don't care attitude from the carers. A 5 match ban is not the end of the world and may act as a wake up call to a few people.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
So it was the tweet I thought it was. It's a struggle to understand what he meant, its even more of a struggle to take such offense to. The guy complaining was asking what was meant by the tweet, which suggests that it was pretty bloody hard to understand. Totally over the top reaction and a green light to get bhafc fans banned left, right and center. Utterly ridiculous.

All those horrible and offensive tweets about Knockaerts dad resulted in no bans at all but some obscure reference to an ex WBA player gets someone banned. Meanwhile WBA back a player that was accused of racist behaviour offering full support whilst said player wrongly claims that the FA ruling proves him completely innocent. I despair.

Spot on. I’ve seen literally dozens of tweets about Knockaert’s dad which I would view as more distasteful than this.

That said my concern is a wider one. Is this now a level that has beeen set. If so who is the judge as to how that line is crossed?

It seems incredibly disproportionate to ban for this when others have been ignored not least the West Brom fans that abused Bong.

Was anything actually done against any Burnley fans by the way when they abused Bong?

I can’t see all this ending well really. The club have created a rod for their own back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on. I’ve seen literally dozens of tweets about Knockaert’s dad which I would view as more distasteful than this.

That said my concern is a wider one. Is this now a level that has beeen set. If so who is the judge as to how that line is crossed?

It seems incredibly disproportionate to ban for this when others have been ignored not least the West Brom fans that abused Bong.

Was anything actually done against any Burnley fans by the way when they abused Bong?

I can’t see all this ending well really. The club have created a rod for their own back.

What do you expect the owner/CEO of Brighton to do about West Brom and Burnley fans?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

The fact that West Brom and Burnley fans seemingly got away with it, surely does not mean that the Albion should follow their poor example.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why should different (lower) standards apply online than in real life ? I doubt the club would act as 'the other mum' if a kid shouted racist abuse or whatever in the ground. If they did do so then they might encounter a don't care attitude from the carers. A 5 match ban is not the end of the world and may act as a wake up call to a few people.

Wow. The point has literally sailed over your head.

The tweet *wasn’t* racist. It was a barely intelligible bad taste joke. If a kid told that in the ground I’d expect his old man to tell him to stop being so silly, and that would be the end of the matter.

If - and this is pure whatabouttery- my son yelled something racist at a game I’d march him out myself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Actually let’s put this another way. If ANYONE said during a game “this is about as interesting as (insert name of well loved dead footballer)” I’d expect nothing at all to happen to them bar a bit of tutting. 5 game ban for that? Ridiculous

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm pretty sure there's been Liverpool and Leeds fans punished by their clubs over chants about the Munich disaster against Man United - could this be seen as in the same sort of ball park? Obviously this is different because it was via social media and not at a game, but then there is an argument that in this day and age, when you are tweeting about the Albion you are representing the club every bit as much as if you were attending a match. I'm not completely sure what my view is of this (and I've not seen the exact details of the offending tweet), but I am being drawn towards suggesting the club is probably right to take *some sort* of action.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wow. The point has literally sailed over your head.

The tweet *wasn’t* racist. It was a barely intelligible bad taste joke. If a kid told that in the ground I’d expect his old man to tell him to stop being so silly, and that would be the end of the matter.

If - and this is pure whatabouttery- my son yelled something racist at a game I’d march him out myself.

OK Mr Angry, I was just giving a point of view. Nothing sailed over my head. I will leave you to it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Actually let’s put this another way. If ANYONE said during a game “this is about as interesting as (insert name of well loved dead footballer)” I’d expect nothing at all to happen to them bar a bit of tutting. 5 game ban for that? Ridiculous

Hmm. How about if instead of saying it to his neighbour, he used his mobile phone to call the Chairman of the club that said dead footballer used to play for and says the same thing. Then called the Chairman of the FA Cup (yes, I know there’s no such post!) to tell him that he’d done so. Finally, he then calls TB to tell him what he’s just done?

TB just tuts, right?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Nothing was done by those clubs, I guess they were fortunate in that instance that they don't support snowflake fc. Meanwhile the call for raucous support will continue whilst encouraging people to come that complain over clapping that is too loud (one complaint that I received believe it or not)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here