Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Given up with eating inside, the fish and chips outside the ground is far better quality and better

This. Given up on food from the concourses as it's too dear for the quality you get.

What slows the queues down loads is the hot drinks especially if someone is getting more than one so ideally they'd have separate queues for them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The pizza in the North Stand is actually really nice. It's probably my go to meal at the AMEX if I don't get a burger from outside. Although the standard has lowered because the really attractive young lady who sold them last season no longer works at that part of the concourse, which is really disappointing.
They need to make the pizzas available in WSU tbh.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Don't think the beer's overpriced by any stretch of imagination.

I know it's not high compared to what's charged in some other stadia or places where you are a captive audience but if you don't think that £4.50 for a pint of beer is overpriced then you're much better off than I am! Given the quantity of beer that's sold on a matchday this must be a proper cash cow, especially as it's rarely an actual pint that's poured, more like 4/5 of one (unless like me you insist on them filling it to the top, you'd be amazed how many people just accept short pints)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's expensive for the quality but it is the unbelievably poor service and the consequential long queues that put me off.

It baffles me how the club has employed so many individuals incapable of understanding the pricing structure, using the tills properly and giving the correct change. We have been employing those numpties since the Amex opened and the issues they cause have been the subject of many complaints.

Maybe there aren't so many complaints here any longer as it is clear that the club (by which I mean Barber) has no intention of employing / training staff to deliver a quick and efficient service.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It baffles me how the club has employed so many individuals incapable of understanding the pricing structure, using the tills properly and giving the correct change. We have been employing those numpties since the Amex opened and the issues they cause have been the subject of many complaints.

The Club haven’t Sodexo have but in their defence where is the most local viable labour supply? The University halls of residence.

Their inability to grasp basic tasks and apply any sense of urgency to said tasks is incredibly worrying for the future of the country....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes, but you're coming from a logical, practical angle. Sodexo's C&C approach is different. I'd start by employing, like the Caterers outside, more independent firms who tend to employ more permanent, family and therefore incentivised personnel. The Big Contract Caterers are all hampered by transient workforce who just don't care, and at the prices they're paid (versus the cost of goods and sale prices), who can blame them. Too much greed involved and it probably starts in fairness with Albion's tender demands.

They tried that at the start remember? Didn't work.

You moan and moan and moan and tell us you could do it better but its quite obvious you don't have a clue about running a large catering operation and clearly wouldn't be able to do a better job.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In answer to the OP's original question - Catering at the Amex, has it improved? - No. It's just factored in now and accepted more when you use the catering facilities or avoided altogether as a result.

In The West Upper I've seen it all, from me being asked for ID as a 38 year old a couple of years back by an 18 year old girl, to being held up behind someone refused service for attempting to purchase something with a Scottish banknote and refused again when offering to use Bank of England notes instead until a supervisor was called. I always try to join a queue being served by someone I recognise previously as knowing what they're doing and also try to avoid entering queues with known, or suspected, hot drinks consumers in them ahead of me.

As for the gripes about prices - take it or leave it.

As for the gripes about Harvey's - it's the biggest brewer in Sussex located just up the road from the stadium. It's not my favourite bitter either, but it isn't going to be a Sussex micro brewery beer on sale at a 30,000 football stadium.

As for the gripes about the quality/temperature/softness of pies and burgers - It's not a la-di-da gastro pub serving gourmet organic burgers, served with fair trade Western Cape Shiraz in sustainable eco bottles etc - it's an English football ground serving fast food.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It probably is 40 minutes for the big boozers who missed Andone’s wonder goal and all three goals in the St Patricks Day Massacre.

Funnily enough Dexy and his obnoxious mate who sit next to me did just that, missed all of those goals and several others over the seasons through 'nipping out to get a few in' just before half time and returning to their seats a bit late..

As l've said to them many a time, why don't you two just piss off and drink the game away, we might win a few more games that way.

Nice lads really. :drink:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The thing that slows the service down in WSU is people getting hot drinks

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Funnily enough Dexy and his obnoxious mate who sit next to me did just that, missed all of those goals and several others over the seasons through 'nipping out to get a few in' just before half time and returning to their seats a bit late..

As l've said to them many a time, why don't you two just piss off and drink the game away, we might win a few more games that way.

Nice lads really. :drink:

I thought no one would admit it, but after the St Patricks Day win, quite a few admitting missing all goals due an extended concourse visit.

Amazing, the obsession with downing pint after pint from plastic beakers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know it's not high compared to what's charged in some other stadia or places where you are a captive audience but if you don't think that £4.50 for a pint of beer is overpriced then you're much better off than I am! Given the quantity of beer that's sold on a matchday this must be a proper cash cow, especially as it's rarely an actual pint that's poured, more like 4/5 of one (unless like me you insist on them filling it to the top, you'd be amazed how many people just accept short pints)

I doubt it, just seeing in context of what’s charged locally :) Also, let it go when it comes to a massive queue behind you at HT - an extra 3mm of beer you won’t miss but everyone else might miss there entire pint as that sort of customer request tends to short circuit Sodexo’s soldiers and prolongs the wait. There’s a good chap!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I doubt it, just seeing in context of what’s charged locally :) Also, let it go when it comes to a massive queue behind you at HT - an extra 3mm of beer you won’t miss but everyone else might miss there entire pint as that sort of customer request tends to short circuit Sodexo’s soldiers and prolongs the wait. There’s a good chap!
I know you're a professional fisherman on here but I'm not talking a pint that's 3mm short, more like an inch. At Amex prices that about 60p worth. But if the majority are happy paying £4.50 for 4/5 of a pint then who am I to argue?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They tried that at the start remember? Didn't work.

You moan and moan and moan and tell us you could do it better but its quite obvious you don't have a clue about running a large catering operation and clearly wouldn't be able to do a better job.

They didn’t, unless you think Elior are a family firm LOL! And you said something about me being clueless...?:lolol: Anyway, you blast away with your insults ignorant of my career background in this industry but chiefly you ignore the demonstrable evidence of better operations at other stadia. And btw, never said I could do better, but I’ve seen others, yes, do it better as have numerous other contributors to this thread. If you get out and about more and observed things, you might too. Sorry if that fact upsets you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here